1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Giving a doll as a gift

Apr 29, 2006

1. I don't think I could ask for a whole doll.... unless it was an average priced tiny. ($100-200)

2. My fiance has bought a Narae to go with the Narin boy I ordered, but this is his wedding present to me... :D Personally, it IS a big gift to ask for, and I wouldn't have asked him for one, let alone make him pay for the whole doll, but he did because he knows it means a lot to me, and I've been wanting a BJD for three years now.

I don't see anything wrong with telling your family and friends that for the next little while, you'd like money instead of presents, because you're saving for something special. That way, you'll have several friends and family members in mind when you look at your doll, because they all contributed towards you getting him or her! :)

3. Sure, I'm asking for money for my birthday to buy my doll, but I'd feel bad asking for a doll for my birthday, even from family! Then again, I know people who feel totally comforatable asking for iPhones and whatnot ¬_¬ But I guess it just depends on how much money you, or your family has. But I think as a general rule, it's more gratifying to actually pay for the doll yourself!

4. I wanted a Petdoll ant for my birthday so I asked my SO if he wanted to in half and I got one..
      Last year he went in half with me to buy a Juri head... which I decided to sell..but that was ok with him..it helped me buy my shushus

5. I've never asked for a doll as a gift... It's too expensive and I'm too picky about what I want.

That said, my pickiness about dolls didn't stop my husband from buying Mitsumushi (my Banji girl-) for me as an Easter gift, or my friend Minoko from giving me Yue (Nanuri mod)'s head for my birthday... But I didn't ask for either of those two, and I wasn't expecting them. They were spontanious additions to the household. ^_^

6. I would never, ever ask for a doll as a gift-- from parents, friends, or otherwise. It's just too expensive to ask for, especially since it's so extravagant and unnecessary. Plus, paying for the doll yourself makes it feel like you actually earned it and brings the two of you closer :)

7. Well, I got Artemis for my 18th birthday, that only happens once, they were like, OMG how much, but then got me her. :) They also surprised the crap out of me and got my video ipod. Trust me, probably the only time i would get a doll, i only get 200 for Christmas and my birthday, which is still fine with me. :) So, if it's like a very special occasion, and maybe if your parents and relatives pool in money, it could be a big present from all of them, better than getting you something you may not really want. ^^

8. Oh h**l no. My husband used to buy me $600 purses before I discovered this money pit of a hobby LOL! Now I just use old purses!

9. : | cheap me asked my parents as a bjd for a gift...................they laughed to my face xD, yea so i a bit much, i def. would never ask a friend >< lot a money and to big of an expectation from a friend, xD wishful thinking for me!

10. I've tried, it doesn't really work T_T. Which is weird, my mom bought me a $350 tablet, a $400 camera, and gave me $200 towards some copic markers before... any of those is enough to buy an MSD sized doll :/.

I mean, I kinda see the point... I don't think people should be handed all their dollies on a silver platter.... I'm kinda jealous of house wives whose husbands buy them dolls XD... but I guess cuz I'm from an let's-educate-women-girl-power home (this is not to say anything about anyone or any age group so no one take offense to this o_O not like I have the authority to comment on anyone's financial or marriage arrangements...)... but I'd love it if I could get a mini/tiny or a partial large doll as a gift ^_^;. My mom makes a lot of money... but she's also really good at saving and doesn't spend crazily, and doesn't like to spend crazily unless it's something that she benefits from too.

As for asking friends, I have tried that too (some of my friends make a lot of money and buy silly things like... FOOD *shakes head*) ... it hasn't worked yet but I'm not giving up ;) *evil*. But, some of my friends HAVE helped me out a great deal which I'm greatful for ^_^ - one of them bought $400 of video game stuff from me, another bought me some doll wigs (ok I kind of borrowed his cc >=D), and some others have offered to help me out if I'm in desperate need XD.

All in all, I haven't given up yet >=D. But I think if I wanted something big like this as a gift that's more for a hobby than useful for my life, I'd ask as "$$$ help towards doll x..." rather than "buy me doll x".

11. If I were to ask for one as a gift, it would be asked of my parents, and it would be the ONLY thing I asked for. Plus, I'd probably offer to pay at least half. Anything outside of that scenario, probably not. And I probably wouldn't give a doll as a gift, either, unless it was a VERY special case. I would feel uncomfortable giving such an expensive gift, even if I could afford it, and I think I would feel almost equally uncomfortable receiving one as a gift. I'm sure I would be ecstatic to receive it at first, but the discomfort would come from the fact that I'd feel obligated to give them something equally nice in return, and may not be able to do so. It's one of those 'high pressure gift giving' things. :\

12. I couldnt ask for one as a gift.. to much money. Most of my friends find dolls freaky the only one that likes dolls has 5 her self already. If my friend rin liked them i would love to get her one but she thinks they are evil

13. I wouldn't ask for a doll as a gift. My husband has given me gifts that were financially equivalent to dolls before (A Playstation 2, flying my best friend over from the US to Australia for our wedding as a surprise... though that was split with my family as well, various trips and weekends away), as have my parents and family... but they've mostly either been things that were more functional (like a digital camera or computer or sewing machine) or help with bills... I'm fully aware that a doll is pretty non-functional and has no purpose other than making me happy because it's cute, so I'm not going to ask anyone for a doll as a gift. I guess it helps that I can afford one for myself anyway. XD If my husband were to get me a doll as a gift I wouldn't refuse, but I wouldn't expect him to.

14. 2 years in a row, I got dolls for Xmas gifts :3

I talked to my parents about it, and let them know that I'd prefer this one, 'big' present over a bunch of 'little' presents. They thought that was fair and got me the dolls as joint gifts between my mom, dad, sister, and grandma. (It worked out to about $75 per person, so it wasn't too much)

--
      I got a $2300 DSLR camera for my b-day...
      Looking back, I think that was a bit too much to ask for ^^;

15. I can't say in general if a doll is too much to ask for or not, since different people's financial situations are different. It would also depend on the doll, since prices can vary greatly. I *personally* would not feel comfortable asking for a whole doll. I get really happy when I get doll clothes as gifts, though.

16. I wouldn't ask for a doll as a gift, just because I'm so particular that I want to be in on the entire process, including (if applicable) faceup, wigs, eyes, clothes...I'd sooner get money as a gift to spend in whatever way I see fit. I know, money's supposed to be a tacky gift, but I like to think of it as a gift certificate that can be used anywhere. >_>

17. I usually get red packets (hongbao) from my relatives, and they contain money that I put towards dolls. This year for Christmas, though, I'm going to ask them to chip in together for one big present, that is, another doll. (I am so fed up of getting things that are pink or don't suit me xD)

My mother though...has spent so much on my dolls already *_*; She doesn't seem to mind paying for them >_>;; I think it's a little too much ^^;

18. I'd be deffinatly too much to ask for. My mom went with me to the Volks store in LA and the second NY Volks Party. I remember her saying "now I know what to get you for Christmas." :o My mom getting me a doll would be too much. Their expensive and I wouldn't want her to get something like that for me. If she ever does then I would feel guilty.

19. It depends somewhat on your friend/family's means - I mean, some people get Amazon.com gift certificates for their birthday, some people get brand new cars. ^^;

I do think that it is impolite to ask for a very expensive gift like a doll, unless of course the friend/family member in question usually spends that much money on your present and it's not a big deal to them. It might be more considerate to ask that they replace presents with money for the next few birthdays/holidays/etc, because you are saving up. If you explain what you are saving for and why, I'm sure friends and family would be happy to do this. And who knows, maybe one of them will be willing to buy the whole doll. :)

20. I'd never ask for a doll for a gift. My family's not that suportive and my friends are more broke than I am.
      Besides, that's a lot of money to ask someone to spend on you.