1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Giving a doll as a gift

Apr 29, 2006

1. I planned to pay for my dolls myself, but my father was pretty persistant. I've had wanted a bjd for over year, I had gotten good grades and it was my birhtday, so he decided to give me a bjd as a gift. I did tell him I wanted to save for him myself, so he handed me the money in small amounts ¬__¬

The only ocation I'm planning to ask for a BJD is for my quinceaños(something like sweet sixteen), because the tradition is to have a party with expensive gifts and stuff. I'd rather get a doll and clothes for it instead of a bunch of expensive things I'll never use. In any case, a doll is cheaper that lot of the crap some people ask for in ther 15th birhtday.

2. Maybe I could accept a friend or family member paying for half a doll, or a MSD-sized doll. I saved up half with my parents for an American Girl doll when I was in grade school, and it was a good learning experience. However, the next year they bought me another one as a present for Christmas! The price is hardly comparable, but it's a similar feeling of it just being far too ostentatious a gift. But some families give really lavish gifts, we never really do. We'll usually get a few functional things such as new shirts or a calendar or a book, then a DVD or a CD for Christmas.

3. I've seen threads before where people are like, "HALP HOW DO I GET MY PARENTS TO BUY ME A DOLL?!" and I find it really annoying that someone would expect that from their parents. = =;;

I'd have no problem accepting a doll as a gift, but I'd never ask for one. I may say, "could you contribute to my doll fund?" but I'd never ask my parents for a full doll. It seems impolite and ingrateful imo.

4. Well, my hubby just ordered me a Narae 60 as a "because I love you" gift, and I didn't even ask for it! I was kinda drooling over her pics alot lately though, so maybe he felt kinda sorry for me? LOL

5. Two of my three dolls were given to me as gifts (though as of right now all three of them have been because I still haven't paid my parents back for one of them e__e)
      It just kind of keeps happening every year for my birthday/Christmas (ever since two years ago, I got to choose between a laptop and a doll. guess what i picked ;D). XD

I know if I had the money I would buy at least dolls for my two closest friends because it's been really hard for them to even attempt to get dolls.

6. Yes, I have asked for dolls as gifts before. I recieved my Lati white Pury and Kong as gifts. :)

For christmas, my mom actually asked me if I wanted anything expensive because they bought my sister a $500 gym membership, and couldn't think of anything to get me that was as good. XD So I asked for my Pury! Mom wasn't stunned at all, she was expecting me to ask for something much more expensive. :lol:

In the case of my Kong, I got him as an anniversary gift from my then BF. My BF wanted an expensive keyboard, and Kong was the only thing that I could think of that could fit into the same price range as the keyboard. The keyboard was still more expensive than Kong was. *_*

I never expect dolls from people, and I certainly never demand them. I don't think I'm the ungrateful type that whines when my parents don't buy me something outrageous. :lol:

7. I hope all of you honestly appreciate all that/whom you have. I could never personally imagine asking any one of my friends or family for *any* sort of gift. That just isn't done in my family.
      I read your stories in awe. ^_^

Raven

8. i would never ask for a bjd for a gift. but my parents have spent quite a bit of money on me for christmas(just last xmas i got a piano(keyboard people!) and i know it was alot. that was one of my only gifts(books and potc were the others XD)) but i would never say "mother dearest, could you please purchase me this doll head which is 160$ then this doll body for 460$? don't forget about shipping! and customs! tee hee!". ha ha. i sometimes ask for money instead of gifts though(and my grandparents always give me money for gifts) so hopefully...soon...i will be able to afford a head. XD i just think that bjd are too expensive to ask a family member to buy. :)

9. I totally agree with this.
      My family is, financially, very comfortable, and my sister and I have demonstrated enough responsibility to have our parents trust us with expensive gifts. Me asking for a mini for a present is not too much, but I do get the eyerolls and the "Do you really need another one?!"

I have a number of friends, though, that scrape pennies together because their parents can't afford/don't want to buy them a doll. I offered to buy my best friend a doll for her b-day, but she didn't want my 'charity', which made me feel really bad for offering... I just wanted to hang out with her at the doll meets and such ;_;

10. I don't think it's too much to ask, if you ask the right people. I got Vaith as a gift from everyone I know for my birthday, and got nothing else. If I were to ask it from one person I think you'd be stretching it. But if you didn't ask and got it, I would probably flip out and feel so guilty xD

11. My mom takes me to the Madame Alexander doll factory right around my birthday (it's actually in two weeks!), so I get a few of those dolls for my birthday or Christmas. My BJD habit, though, is all my own.

12. I'm kinda a difficult person to buy gifts for, I'm not 'into' clothes, shoes, bags, scents or any of the other girly things. So my Hubby's over the moon that after all these years this Christmas will be easy for him. He cant buy me a whole doll, that would be too much, but he will give me money towards one. With the rest on my family & friends, we just buy token gifts costing no more than max $20.

13. It all depends I think. Ofcourse it always depends on the economy in the family, how expencive gifts usually are for birthdays and christmas and so forth. One can always humbly ask, I think asking for help to pay for the doll of your dreams would be a perfect solution. Then your family would help you pay for half, a third or maybe the majority of the price?

I recieved my Soony as a gift from my father. I didn't ask for it, he just knew I really wanted one, and one day my mother said to me:
      "Since you haven't followed us on our vacations lately, your dad wondered if you wanted to have a doll instead?"
      I was in a little state of chock actually, since I never asked for anything in return for not following them to the alps and stuff >__< I just hate snow.
      Well anyways, my dad asked me wich one I wanted and we bought it together. I couldn't be more thankful

Enough babbling from me.. ^_^;

14. Like enmi says, I think that its easier to ask for family to help pay for a doll rather than get the whole doll. Most people find it easier to give other people money for birthdays,I think, since the person can be assured they get what they want anyways. And every little bit helps right?

I know my sister wants one for her birthday and she lucks out because there's eight people in our family that can and will chip in for a dollfie. So that's another thing, while a doll might be expensive, if you ask all your family members to help chip in for a doll for christmas or your birthday, its not as expensive or at least it doesn't seem that way.

15. Uhm, I know this will sound really odd and interesting in a way, but here's my story. I actually got my doll, which is coming pretty soon from a kind person whom I met on YM.
      Well, at first this person is a complete stranger to me, but now I treat her as a real friend. She bought me a MSD doll complete with wigs and clothes. Oh she's a very kind person! I really admire her kindness...
      Somehow, I feel guilty for this but this person is such a good good person and in her heart she really tried her best to get me a doll and she really got me one. In fact, my girl will be on her way now ^^.
      I'm not going to mention her name here cause it might be against her will. But I'm really proud of her. SHE'S THE BEST PERSON EVER!

16. no it isn't right. It is a lot of money unless your friends or family are very well off. Also I think it takes another doll person to actually understand how so much can be spent on a doll and why they are worth that much.

I agree with Elycium that is lots chip in it isn't so bad- if all are able to do that financially.

As for presents off partners, that is a different thing. the longer you are with someone the less 'presents' are important- what I mean is you discuss things you want and get them when you want them and can afford them. Also for some people, an expense on a credit card is okay, within a partnership- I would hate anyone to buy me a present on a credit card and put themselves in debt.

Dolls clothes and accessories are a far better thing to ask for as they are affordable.

17. We gave my best friend a Luts Kid Delf as a birthday present. Everybody (we were about 12 people) gave money and I ordered a doll. She nearly cried at her birthday party. It was her first BJD! ^-^&#176;

So, I think it's possible. I am never asked what I want as a present, but I would totally accept a gift doll in a way like this! ^^

18. If it's financially possible, the person understands your collection and passion of BJD, and they want to give you a great present, I don't think it's too much. It really depends on the family or partner. I don't think anyone outside a family could just label it "wrong in general"; it is purely circumstantial.

So long as you're not putting someone in debt or putting off anything very important (like bills), I think it's fine, if the person/people is able and willing. Life is too short for inane guilt trips. Some people get expensive jewelry, designer purses, whatever, so what really is the difference?

19. I'm not sure if I'd be happy if someone bought me a doll. :sweat As in, I want to work hard for something that's important for me, and no matter how much I may want a doll, I'd want to work for her myself, not get someone else to get her for me. Mind you, I haven't gotten a doll yet, but I think it'd be really gratifying to save up and buy your own doll that means a lot to you... I mean, if my friends ever got me a doll that would be charming and all, but for some reason I don't think I could ever really feel comfortable with it. :sweat

20. I could never ask for a doll, it would make me feel greedy.

The most expensive present I've every gotten was my MP3 player.