1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Giving a doll as a gift

Apr 29, 2006

1. Extremely grateful Raven. I just don't buy alot of stuff for myself anymore. Pitiful but true! It's kids first, then husband, then dolls. Which I guess is me.

2. I would never be able to ask anyone to buy one for me. As so many other people have said, i could only ask to get money to go towards the doll i'm currently lusting after, since they cost so much. I mean, when i showed my mom the doll i want, her reaction was like "jess. thats a LOT of money." (I warned her that they were expencive x.x)

Also, the thing is with this, i'd feel bad if anyone chipped in any large chunk of the pricetag, you know? my best friend right now is telling me that for my birthday she'll chip in anywhere frm 100-200$ for one!depending on the doll, that can be over half the price! I told her shes nuts and not to worry about it, but i know she'll do it anyway >>

basicly, i wanna be able to pay for my doll on my own, so it means even more to me because i know its a special thing that i want. its something that i needto work for.

3. to me, it's rude to ask for a gift period. Wether it's a BJD or a pencil. I would never ask anyone to buy me anything. A gift is something that someone decides to get for you out of the kindness of their heart, and without interferrance from the person who is getting the gift. I just don't think i could ask anyone to do anything like that for me. Just not my style.

4. I'd never ask anyone for a BJD. Too much money, too much to ask. I wouldn't want to put that pressure on someone. But if someone gave me one, I wouldn't think twice! My family got my doll underwear (!) once, but thats it.

5. You could always ask them to all buy you one doll. That makes the price much easier to deal with.

Or, flipping this topic around, sometimes people want to get their friends the things that they (their friends) don't think they could ever have. Due to price and what not.
      MagicalBerriesofdoom and myself are buying our very sick friend a girl for her birthday next month. We're both very excited. ^_____^ I'm more than happy to help my friends get dolls. XD

6. I thought about this, and I'd have to say no..I wouldn't ask my family or
      boyfriend to buy me a doll. It's such a personal item to me. So if anything
      was said or went wrong it would spoil it for me also I wouldn't want them
      to spend that kind of money on me. ( I would want the best and would be
      tempted to ask for less ) So it's no for me. Donations tward would be
      very happily accepted thought :lol:

7. I think it'd be a lot to ask for. Especially when you factor in the wig(s)/clothes/shipping/etc...it can get super expensive quickly. But, I think it can be somewhat okay if you offer something in return.

I asked if I could BUY one when I wanted Lewis, but he was gifted to me by my parents. However, I worked very hard to get good grades so that I could at least do my parents a favor in return.

Receiving one as a gift, though, out of the blue...I think it's a different story. If you didn't ask, and someone just did it out of the kindness of their heart, then it's okay :' ). I mean, a good friend of mine absolutely adores my boys and wants one of her own, but doesn't think she'd have the means/house safety (obnoxious kid sister lol) for it. If I had the money, I'd buy her one in a heartbeat just because I love her/know she likes them ;_;.

8. I think asking for a doll is waaaaay too much. Even the $400 ones... So I'm just going to ask for money. Nothing but money. From EVERYBODY. I'm not even going to bother telling some people what I want the money for. I think my mom (whom I don't live with) would think I'm insane and I'm seriously worried that if I asked one of my grandparents... she'd not pay her rent to get me one. oO And then lord only knows if it'd be the right one... I know my stepmom was already searching eBay for the dolls. She had no plans on buying one, just finding a cheaper price for me... but it still made me feel bad. ^_^() She was using terms for BJDs that I hadn't even taught her! oO

9. I got my narae for my birthday...I totally wasn't expecting my mom to say yes, but I guess my 16th deserved something big in her eyes...

I asked for a mini--I don't think I could have asked for anything more expensive.

10. I would never ask for a doll as a gift, partly because they're so expensive, but I also know my parents don't like the hobby so they wouldn't anyways.

But for my 18th birthday, I got around $600, which went to me getting two of my boys, so they're paying for them indirectly anyways. ^^

11. I'm getting a doll for my friend, shes the closest friend i have and the best as well. Knowing her she wants one but know the circumstance she cant get one so I'm buying her first and my first at the same time

12. I'm buying an MSD, eyes and wig for my unofficially adopted little sister.
      clothing and stuff she'll have to get on her own, i'm not -that- fabulously wealthy.

This is gonna be a BIRTHDAY -and- CHRISTMAS gift.

13. I don't mind asking my husband a doll for a gift. I wouldn't ask my parents though as my Mom tends to get me what she feels like. She'd rather spend the money on Jewelry over a doll

14. sue me, i luv quoting

Oh same here! I rather have the permission to get a doll rather than the doll itself. I used my pocket money to help pay for Rae so i guess he was indirectly paid for by my parents (tho i did have $720 from my project fund anyway ^^)

Tho i just asked my dad to use his account for transfer, he's paying for the full doll and dollie things i'm getting right now (about $1000 worth of stuff... if no customs that is) i pay him back but it still feels uncomfortable really. I have a friend that i really want to help get a doll for! she's lovely and i kno she wants one, she is not in the financial position to get one, so i wish some friends would chip in to get her even a less expensive dollie.

that is very very true, can't agree more with this. Tho i'm a hard person to buy stuff for, i rather they give me money (chinese new year i got a bit of money... the same amount i spent on my DZ Mowan + other stuff! hehe maybe next year i'll save the money to buy my floating heads a body OR save up for Shine...)

Congrats! she is such a lovely person! I sometimes wish i had enough finances to help everyone, but i'm helping with some charity runs right now, hopefully between me and a few ppl and mods on the site i'm doing the charity sale, we can help a few more ppl get their dream to come true.

haha that's similar to me. I was asked if i wanted a Gucci purse for my 18th B-day (it was $600+ btw...) and i was like "No" then my dad was like a Gucci bag... (still $600) "er no dad, i don't want a gucci anything!" (btw my dad got me a Burberry bag as a gift before as a random gift and one from japan... he was going to get me a matching wallet until i kinda stopped him... *sigh* i don't even like to use designer a lot of times) So i ended with "get me a swarovski necklace or a DNKY bag if u haven to spend money!" so he did... two necklaces and a brand new pair of trainers... a lovely total of way more than my dollie...

For Christmas i got near $300 for a coat... (cos they said they would NOT get me a doll... tho i was allowed a doll once i FINISHED my exams. I used to get all A's but this last year i've ben too stressed and miss them by marks. Sop i get to order a dollie if i have tried my hardest in my exams!)

Basically i think it's nice if they give u money to buy what u want. I hate choosing gifts and my parents hate thinking of one. I always need to tell them what i want... this year for my birthday i'm getting a good huge sum for my student loan (1/3 of it before my birthday) i found it would cover the 2 dolls and 2 doll bodies on my list! and have enough to spare.

But at the end of the day i rather save $50 a week from my job and have ppl chipping in for my doll fund rather than asking for them to buy me a doll. If they offer, and if they're my parents i'll be fine but still guilty. I'll never ask my friends for a doll. simply it's too expensive and it's rude in my opinion and spoilt.

15. Hmm. I think whether or not a doll as a gift is too much to ask for, or to give, should be judged on a case by case basis. So far I have paid for all of my own dolls, but my mom is going to be giving me an amount of money equal to what I spent on my Unoa pre-order as a graduation/Christmas/birthday gift. She offered to do so, and can afford it, so I don't feel bad about it. I am very grateful, though :D

As for giving dolls to others as gifts, I plan to get a doll for my best friend for Christmas (probably a tiny, as she thinks those are cutest, as well as being most affordable.).

16. I got (most of) the money for Tori as a Christmas present. It was a pain talking my family around, but in the end they realized it would be cheaper for them all to pitch in for the doll than for each of them to get me something on their own. My dad in particular would usually get me a nice piece of jewelry, despite the fact that I'm not really into the bling thing, so it was more sensible.

17. True, but it does depend on the situation. I know my parents and relatives have often asked me what I want for birthdays/holidays, so that they can actually get me something I want instead of spending money on something I might not use or like (especially as I've gotten older). If someone asks you "what do you want for your birthday this year?" and they would usually spend as much as a doll would cost on gifts for you anyway, I don't think it's wrong to say "Here's what I want!", they did ask so that they can get something they know you will appreciate. In my family, if there is something that you really want or need, it's considered acceptable to talk about this with the relatives when there is a holiday coming up, especially if it is something functional like a new computer or furniture (or money toward an expense like this). Part of it is also that my brother and I are both adults now, but it seems more sensible than getting us random gifts that we might not actually like.

That said, I still probably wouldn't ask my family members for a doll. As I said before, it's something totally superfluous and I don't see why my family members should be the ones to fork out for dolls unless they want to. If they decide to send me money I have no problem using it toward whatever silly things I want, but even if someone asks me what I want I'm more likely to ask for DVDs, video games, gift certificates, and other things I may want to have which my family would more readily want to give as a gift.

18. I HAVE half jokingly, half seriously asked for a doll. But I know asking and getting are two different things. But they are creeping up on my want list so now I'm thinking of JUST asking for doll money and nothing else.

19. I'm a bit of hypocrite in this respect, I would never ask for one and never expect one (god knows my friends aren't the type anyway) but I'll quite happily buy dolls for my friends.
      I've bought a SDC Kaede for Mailee, a DoC Yen for Jemisard and a dollmore body for Washi ^^;;

I don't know what i'd do if someone actually did the same to me ^^;

My grandmother tried once, she wanted to give me money to the equal cost of one of my dolls so it would be considered her gift but i couldn't take that much from her.

20. Wow! Your such a kind person to do that. I admire you too. I'm not really against about recieving a doll as a gift specially if that person really wanted to give you your dream doll in her heart. Cause it happened to me and this person who helped me made my wildest dreams come true. :D
      Someday, when I can work for my own money and have the power to purchase a doll (which I think will happen 10 years ahead from now :sweat), I will surely help somebody too! Just like you guys are doing. You guys are all the best!!! ^__^ *hugs*