1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Giving up other dolls for BJDs?

Jan 15, 2009

1. I haven't done it yet...but I NEED to. All of my collector's Barbies are MIB in boxes somewhere, taking up space that could be used to store this FABRIC I seem to amass when sewing for BJD's. XD....comparatively speaking they aren't worth much, but they would at least cover sending Henessey off for a new faceup, even to Asia. HMMM...

2. I sold my Tonner dolls to fund my BJD collection. I don't miss them at all - they just didn't seem to have much personality, once I started buying BJDs!

3. Most definetely. My Tonners, Genes, Cissy's and Alex's are just about all gone (I decided to keep just one of each). I never did anything with them, not even change their clothes. They just sat on the shelf. I however have decided to keep some (I love my Kish dolls - all sizes - I do change their clothes and sometimes their wigs), but even some of these went both for space purposes and money for more (and more) dollfies.

4. I collect Madame Alexanders, Boudoir dolls from the 20's and 30's, Barbies and old porcelain dolls on top of my BJD's (there's a doll in practically every corner of my house lol!)...I haven't sold any of them as I still like my other dolls but I have put a stop to it as collecting BJD's is far more satisfying to me than everything else. I've returned clothes to put down for a down payment before though! If someone gives me a doll, I will still probably like it but I"m just not as into any other type as I am with BJDs.

5. I sold most of my doll collections and it was totally worth it! I was tired of them all anyway, though. :sweat I sold my entire '80s toy/doll collection, all my collector Sailor Moon dolls, some Gene dolls and many Barbies. I still have a few Gene dolls and my vintage-2001 Skipper collection but I'm planning on sell those, too.

I was actively looking for a new kind of doll to collect back in 2003 and was considering Pullips when I discovered BJDs. I hated Volks regular dollfies and thought the joints were hideously ugly but that all changed when I found out they came in gigantic-size! :D That's when my other doll collections suddenly started sneaking onto eBay.

It still took me until 2006 to get up enough courage to spend so much money on a doll and until 2007 to have a full doll. I love that I can have fewer of them and still have so many options available with a little customizing. They're also so much more expressive! I still think my Gene dolls are cute but I can't bear to look at my stupidly-smiling, dead-eyed Skippers that I used to love so much. :(

Nothing compares to shiny, expressive eyes in a softly smiling resin face. :daisy

6. I have stored away my small but interesting collection of porciline dolls and stuffed animals. Not so much as replaced by BJD's (Though he and his stuff does now take up the space they used to occupy), but because I simply did not enjoy them anymore.

I had simply grown out of them. I will probably sell/give away some of the stuffed toys and store the dolls for the day I have a little girl or if my niece decides she likes dolls once she comes into the world.

There is just so much more I can do with/for my BJD then a doll that just... sits there with their eyes in the center of their sockets.

7. I've always sold dolls to fund other doll purchases. It's a neccesity both financially & space wise for me. I almost never sell an entire collection but keep a few of my favorites around. When I got into BJDs, I sold most of my Tonners, Cissys, American Models, Himstedts, other artist dolls & all my vintage Cissettes. Even with all that there're still too many dolls here. And the BJDs have greatly added to those numbers. So I guess it's time to sell somemore along with some resins that I don't really love.

I haven't bought any vinyls since starting with these dolls. They just aren't as much fun anymore. (Though there're still several Zwergnases I'd love to have.) I do still pick up a teddy bear every now & then.

It's definitely been worth it for me. I've said this a hundred times but BJDS have become the ultimate dolls for me. They combine all my favorite things from my other dolls into one super package.

8. I think I'm a little bit of the opposite here. Discovering BJDs actually rekindled my love for dolls. I always had barbies and music box dolls and things like that when I was younger, but once I got into high school I kind of packed it all away, even my beloved Felicity from American Girl. I thought I outgrew them.
      Then I saw a BJD on DeviantArt, thought it was nifty, but I couldn't find much info. Then a year or so later I saw more at a convention in Boston. I got more information, did more research and fell in love all over again. Now my BJDs share space with some Obitsus, my two music box dolls and Felicity that I now dress according to the season. While the BJDs have the highest priority I still can't help looking for dolls in thrift stores, vintage shops and unique ones at art shows to take home.
      In light if it all I managed get up the guts to move and thin out some other collections that were just collecting dust; the stuffed animals and manga, mainly.

Next to go: The Beanie Babies!

9. I sold dolls when I got bored of them, and that helped fund my BJD

10. I haven't sold my Barbie doll collection yet. I wanting for the right bidder to buy my rare dolls. Ever since Barbie went overseas for productions, people are offering more for my dolls, because they are consider American made dolls. I'm hoping to sell two of my dolls to obtain my first BJD doll. I praying for a Rin doll.

11. I could never part with my other dolls, even to fund getting a BJD. I love all the ones that have managed to make all the moves with me, from my Barbies, to my porcelain girls, to my 2 Little Apple Red girls. While the others sit on shelves, or in boxes in storage right now, I still love them, and they were mostly meant for display once I outgrew traditional play with them anyway. My current BJD spends much time sitting around the house, typically in whatever room I'm spending a lot of time in at the time, and gets shown off whenever I get the chance...he'll get played with a lot more when I have the other dolls to go with him. But it's going to take a while as I save up for my dolls and doll things instead of selling off other possessions that I love just to get money for them. Besides...one day my own children will be old enough to pass things down to depending on their interests, and I'd rather be able to do that then say 'Let's go buy you the random doll/book/game/comic' just because I sold my collections.

12. Tons. I sold off a bunch of anime dolls (Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura), a few of my OOAK dolls and figures, some of my random barbies lying around, a bunch of disney dolls I had from when I was younger. I'm working through a few build a bear items I have, and need to resift through my anime toys collections and barbies in order to get some new things for my BJD.

I don't really regret it, as my BJD are more than perfect for anime cosplay (Bug-eyed Volks fan!) and they are so much bigger and more impressive when dressed up than a 1/6 doll. I do miss my little Sailor Saturn Dream Pocket doll though. She was such a cutie!

13. I had maybe 20+ pullips, and sold all of them to get 2 large BJD lovelies. I know where you're coming from :)

14. I haven't sold off any of my other collections, yet (i.e. Tonner's Original Models/Tyler/Gene/Barbie) but, as of 2006 when I got my first BJD, I definitely stopped buying and adding to any of those collections. I have no real interest in them anymore. (I really should get my act together and sell them so I can have more room for my BJDs!)

Ofcourse, that being said, there might be a Tonner Model or two that I won't be able to part with. At the time, 1995, they were my great love!

15. I also have other collections of dolls (Barbie). They are all limited and too pretty for me to put it on sale for buying new bjd.

16. Hi Andie *waves*

I know where you're coming from too. I would like a bjd, but at the moment- no money. However- my pullip girls could help me fund that. (I'm actually selling some of my girls , but for other reasons than funding a bjd though). The ones that are left I couldn't even dream of selling for another doll and that is because they mean too much to me- it would make me sad. I don't think I would give up my pullip collection and convert into bjd's. With that said, I have to admit that if I didn't like them so much I might have sold them though. I am after all selling all the dolls that I'm willing to part with to fund other things in my life:lol:

17. I've never actually sold any dolls to make money for a new doll, most of my barbies and other dolls are either just not worth selling, or have sentimental value. As for BJD's though, No matter how desperate I was to get a doll, I would never even DREAM of selling an older doll of mine to buy a new one. All of my BJD's, Whether I own or plan to own them, have very special significant meanings and bonds and I could never imagine getting rid of one of them to make room for someone new. I think of it this way. "Would you sell a child?" No, I wouldn't.

18. So far I haven't sold any of my dolls, but most of them I made myself and am rather attached to. I don't really play with them or change their clothes that much, but a lot of work and care went into each, and I'd really miss them if they weren't on my shelf guarding my costume books. On the other hand, I have decided that it might be a good idea to make some expressly for the purpose of selling them, to support the BJD habit.

19. I also have sold several expensive collectors item Barbie's to find the creation of my dolls . Though I still haven't finished making them I still do not regret sacrificing them to make my others . The Barbies aren't quite as unique as BJD's .

20. I've sold the most valuable of my antique dolls; as I am no longer actively collecting them, it seemed pointless to keep them. I kept a few of my very favorites and still love them, but haven't bought any additional ones since I became enchanted with bjd's.