1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Giving up other dolls for BJDs?

Jan 15, 2009

1. I do collect other dolls, as well as bjds, but...I'd NEVER give up my blythe family!! They're just too cute!! And I'm still collecting them. (Sheesh, this will get a bit complex... what with BJDs, Blythes, Pullips and Loli clothes I'll be broke forever!)

2. No, I have other dolls, Girls on the Go by Tollytots, Tollytots, a couple of Gotz dolls,and Virginia Turner dolls that are very precious to me also , and I would never sell these to buy Dollfies, or for any reason.

3. I'm considering it... but I haven't made that leap quite yet.

4. I was all over Tonner dolls I loved them! but once I saw bjds and once I had one I was completly over Tonner. I have my Tonner up for sell so I can get more things for my bjds.

5. I was never really into other dolls. I have a few Little Apple Dolls but they are just a collectible, something to look at. BJD's are an actual hobby.

6. Funny, I never was into any other kind of dolls... Unless you count the Barbies that I dismembered when I was 6 or 7 years old... :sweat
      I still like collecting figurines of anime characters, though. But I don't consider them dolls (I don't think Figmas or Nendoroids count either..)

7. I used to collect anime plushies, still do but not as much anymore, and a while back I sold off a rare Edward Elric Movie plushie for $160+ which definitely helped me buy my second doll. He was cool to have, but I don't miss him at all.

8. I started my doll hobby with a pair of 1/6 obitsus that I customized myself...they're currently cuddled up on their little couch next to my TV. I still have a love for vinyl even though I have moved up to resin. The little guys are still so much fun to do photo sessions with! Plus they have more accessories than my resin boys...^_^;

9. No, no, no, no, and no. =< I refuse to give up my other dolls just to fund a new dolly collection--besides, variety is the spice of life, no? I've still got all my Pullips and LDDs, and I haven't quit my pony collecting either!

Although I've been thinking of selling my Winx Club and Bratz as I don't even look at them anymore...

10. I sold off my remaining pullips, taeyangs and dals when I decided to go to bjds. Once and awhile I get abit of nostalgia but I'm still glad I took the leap. Oneday I may end up with a Dal again but I doubt it since i'm worried she'd sit as decoration. I'm tempted by blythes and other dolls still though, but I find it easier to drop the large sums on Resin haha~

In fairness I thought I would add - I've learned to purge myself of holding onto stuff. I used to have 4 bookshelves and a ton of other stuff just FULL of stuffies and knick nacks - I find life better with less is more. :lol: So I tend to get rid of things I don't do anything with much anymore, to keep my 'stuff' limit lower.

11. No, I was never into dolls..
      I do have an absolutely massive wall of stuffed animals though. I hadn't thought about that in a while. I guess I could sell them. I probably wouldn't get much money from them, (actually maybe I'd get some for the Beanie Babies.. I haven't looked into if they're still a big collectible thing) but it might help, and they DO take up a ton of space. D:
      Wow, acquiring stuffed animals was like my main goal as a kid but I haven't thought about them in soooo long. >A<;; Weird.

12. Before becoming obsessed with BJDs, I was collecting Jennys, Pullips, Dals, Taeyangs, and J-Dolls. Though I haven't sold any of my other dolls *yet*, I've stopped actively collecting them and buying stuff for them. A Jenny or Pullip can still tempt me once in a while, but I rather think I'd be happier to save the money and spend it on future BJDs or on pampering my current ones! Seriously, sometimes by just looking at my BJDs helps me get rid of any longings for other dolls! XD

(PVC anime figures though, are another story! ^^;; )

Have I considered selling? Yeah, when shelf-space runs out, I'd definitely sell off the dolls I no longer play with and have no attachment to... like my J-Dolls and some of my Jennys.

13. I gave my little cousins the barbies my sister had(i never owned a doll until my Ai), and kept the clothes and have modified them to fit my BJD's...it's worked pretty well!!!!:)

14. I was a long term collector of antique and collectable dolls, everything from German bisque to barbie. I actually spotted my first BJD a Volks SuperDollfie Rio thanks to an interenet message board for people into 16" fashion dolls like Tonner, etc...

I bought my first a couple months later and all my other doll collecting came to a skreeching halt. I still have most of my collection though. A few have been sold off to accomodate my BJD 'habit'. And I occassionally indulge in a traditional Japanese doll (kokeshi) since I am now living in Japan.

15. I've got quite a large collection of porcelain and Madame Alexander dolls, all gifts from relatives and friends. I've debated selling them before I move out, but I'm not really sure they'd be worth much... That and I'm kind of attached to them.

16. I started with collecting obitsu 1/6th dolls when I thought for a while that I could never have a BJD because of the price. At that time, they interacted with the barbies and other dolls I had so I kept them all around. But once I ordered my first BJD I decided to get rid of my barbies (but I kept the obitsus). I kept all of the clothes and most of the accessories that I had, but I gave away the actual dolls. It was really hard/emotional for me at first because I'd had them since childhood and have many good memories, but I am also going to college soon and I need to streamline my amount of stuff to make the move easier not just on me but my parents. So it took some times, but eventually I felt ready to give them away. Sometimes I still regret it, but it's made a lot more room for my BJDs. I am super glad I kept the clothes and accessories though! They come in handy big time. ^^

17. I still have many Blythes, but I sold a lot of my rarer dolls to afford certain BJDs :P

18. This! I have Pullips (and friends), Blythes, and a few other kinds of similar-scale dolls. I might sell some that I couldn't bond with, but I would never get rid of all of them to buy a BJD. I'd rather save for a while and keep all my dollies. :)

19. wow i posted here on the first page saying i might have to sell my LDDs. i ended up selling all three that i had for my second doll i thought i would be ok with it but i really missed two out of the three.

but i lucked out because i sold them to a lady my mom knew and my mom knew how much i loved my one doll so she didnt actually sell it to the lady, she kept it gave me the money and gave me the doll for my birthday the next year <3 i was so happy. and the other doll that i miss i may be able to buy it back from my moms friend since she has other dolls out there she wants more. i recieved a few free ldds from a bjd friend here on the board and that started up the collection a little bit again and i bought three more

i dont think ill ever sell my ldds (at least the ones i really like) and i want to get a few other dolls as well as BJD's. i dont want to have to sell any dolls purely to get another, from now on the dolls that are home stay home. i am ok with saving.

20. Been doll collecting for years, and never wanted a BJD until I saw the Val Zeitler/Haute Doll Halloween spread a few years back and was smitten with Skiya.... I then decided that I was NEVER going to spend that much on a doll... ever!!!

But I was bitten by the bug and found myself stalking second hand BJDs on ebay, eventually buying a SoulKid Linn, it was such a revelation how "real" these dolls are, she made all my other dolls seem like... lumps of lifeless plastic. Next thing I knew all my Tonners, Pullips, blythes, etc.... all gone to get the money together to buy BJDs! I made a few mistakes on the secondary market, buying dolls that just didn't appeal to me in "the flesh" if you know what I mean, but they got sold on too. Now I adore my 4 SD girls and can't imagine ever going back to those other lifeless dollies. No, je ne regret rien!

Eeeerrr, well, I kept ONE Blythe!