1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Giving up other dolls for BJDs?

Jan 15, 2009

1. I was collecting Blythe for years and I just got bored and sold every single one. Now I only have BJD's :)

2. No, I still collect barbies. My grandmother gives me one for every major holiday XD I have like a hundred barbies 1/3 of which are stil in the boxes but even if I sell them I don't think it would add up to a BJD

3. I used to love pullips, but now I'm in love with BJD's! I'm considering selling some of my pullips to buy more BJD's.

4. I was a big time Tonner collector for years and have sold all but a few of my favorites. I also sold a lot of their outfits which sometimes went for more than the dolls! Painted eyes & rooted hair just didn't do it for me anymore. Lately, the prices of the newer Tonner dolls are so high that I would much rather add a few dollars more & get a BJD! I don't miss them at all & am having much more fun with my BJD family.

5. I've collected dolls for a while now & have transitioned what "kind" of doll I was focusing on several times. Currently, there are 3-ish "kinds" of dolls living at my house.

I have sold a few Living Dead Dolls as part of my "saving for my first BJD" experience, but I intended to sell them anyway, so it was really more about being very specific about what that money was going for.

:D

6. I'm also a convert from Tonner dolls. I don't have any interest in buying more of that type doll, but I don't think I will get rid of the ones I have. They still make a beautiful display in a cabinet. They just won't get played with much anymore. I wouldn't get enough for them if I tried to sell them to be worth the trouble.

7. Luckly i did not need to gibe p on my other hobbys since they do not take too much money

8. I am another one who was led to BJDs by Tonner. I have sold a couple online that I never did much with to people who will appreciate them more. I'm quite fond of most of the dozen or so I have, but am not inclined to buy more. It's hard to go back to painted eyes after the joy of changeable ones.

9. I have some Living Dead Dolls and other action figures and stuff. I gotta say I wouldn't mind selling them off at all to fund this hobby.

10. I sold 4 of my Begoths dolls, 3 porcelain dolls and 1 clown puppet doll for BJD. I left 1 porcelain doll (my most treasured one) because its given to me by my bestfriend when I was 10. :D

11. Over the years my doll tastes have changed a lot and I've moved from Blythe, through Licca, to momoko and most recently onto bjds, but I've never given up any collection in favour of the next. I still have all my Blythes and if they released a doll I really liked for a good price I would buy it but otherwise I feel my collection is complete (aside from one grail doll!) I can certainly imagine myself buying a Licca or momoko in the future, too. Really it's all about priorities, I wouldn't sell all my old dolls to buy a new type but I might sell one or two that didn't work out.

12. I started with vintage Cabbage Patch kids, then general dolls from the 70's and 80's. Then moved onto Blythe, Dal, Hujoo, and Monster High, before finally giving in to the BJD urge. I have plans to reduce my CPKs and sell all of the Blythe's, Dals, and MH's, except for the MH I customised. I still love my Hujoos, but basically, I now only want dolls that are well jointed and have easily changeable wigs and eyes. Hopefully selling all those dolls will get me some more resin! :D

13. I have only one taeyang except for my BJD and I wouldn't sell him because he is a chronical patient - broken ankles, loose feet,... Poor little guy! Then there is one porcelain doll but I mostly forget about her, because she sits in a closet all the time. I couldn't sell her as well, because she was a gift.

14. I used to love Pullips and Tonners, but I've completely stopped purchasing them and switched over to BJDs. I enjoy BJDs way more than the other dolls I've collected, but I received some of them as gifts so I feel bad selling them. I will just hold onto them for awhile longer, but the thought of selling them has come to mind since they just sit in my closet collecting dust.

15. As a matter of fact, when I wanted to buy my first BJD I looked through some of my stuff to collect money. I sold a Steiff plush tiger, am trying to sell a Steiff plush cat, will sell a Hermann Coburg plush bat. I considered to cut down on my Monster High but couldn't decide which one. So they stay together with my four Barbies and a Liv/Fashionista hybrid. I still have to look at a Schildkröt baby doll I ordered on ebay before I got Toivo. It is still unpacked (waiting at work for me but I have been sick since then). I will definitely not sell my other Schildkröt baby because I played with it as a child and got it from my mother (the baby was part of her antique doll collection). And I will neither part with Isabella, my vinyl Paola Reina doll nor with my Hummel vinyl twins Peter and Paul. But I do not think I will buy any other dolls than BJDs from now on. I'm smitten... ;)

16. I actually had BJDs before I started collecting Blythe & Pullip :) But I have sold off some of my Blythe collection to fund my BJDs. I only kinda regret selling my blond Kenner, but I have a red haired Kenner still so I'm not too sad! I've been toying (bad pun there) with the idea of selling my Topper Dawn dolls...

ETA I forgot I traded a bunch of Monster High dolls for a Volks F-10 head. Love her & don't regret that for a second!

17. I had to put down my figure collecting for bjds. I haven't sold any of my figures and I'm not going to, however I've really wanted to start collecting azones but every time I get the money, I end up buying something for my bjds instead > _<

18. I sold my limited edition Disney doll to afford my first BJD :) I have some MH dolls as well but not in boxes so the money I would get isn't worth selling them to me.

19. I have way too many pullip/ai/jdoll and monsterhigh. Since I've taken the plunge and gotten into BJD, I can see it quickly escalating into a huge money-suck. I'm not sure what to do with my other dolls. I'm not dying for the money from them, but space is a valuable commodity to consider. I'm not sure that I'm ready to part with them, though.

20. In some ways, yes but in other ways...

I have just recently sold all of my Bratz dolls for just that reason; moving on. When I was younger I loved them to pieces and I just couldn't bring myself to get rid of them. Well, until I stumbled across a new type of doll. So yes.

But... saying that, while saving for my first boy I have (with my spare money, not doll funds) I have purchased two new toy shop dolls (a Disney Animator's Collection doll and a Zapf creation jointed princess Ariel doll) so I think I've simply moved on from "fashion dolls", not other dolls in general.