1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Giving your doll a story.

Feb 13, 2010

1. I collect all kinds of dolls, and until I got Violet Lavinia (BBB Elena) I never felt the desire to create a story for my dolls...but she just SCREAMS out to me what her story is. And it's made my designing & making clothes for her REALLY fun!

2. I actually do make backstories for my dolls and they have different personalities and everything else a human has. I ended up abandoning the backstory idea though.

3. Clover's story came from a novel I wrote, not published yet-though her character changed a little

4. All of my dolls have characters and backstories. In fact I'm at the point that I've been starting to transfer all of my non pre-existing character dolls into my main story lines as pre-existing characters. It's not a part of the hobby that is necessary for everyone to do, but for me it is the main attraction. Character development and writing is what I like to do best, and the longer I've been in the hobby the more and more story oriented I've become.

5. My doll, Devon.. just doesn't feel like a character to me, he feels like a little resin kid.. he was born and came to live with me. -shrug-

I plan on buying him a twin sister, and she will probably be the same - not a character, just a child being delivered via stork.

I will eventually have a 'character' doll, though, who has a bloody complicated back story.. @_@ I used to write about her, and when I wasn't writing about her, I was dreaming about her.. she's more like an alter-ego than just a character, I guess. idk.

6. After my first doll, it "just happend". I wrote a short story and more and more characters appeared.

7. My doll Sen does have a story that was more of 'discovered' than created..all based on my previous dreams (yes, dreams, those you get when you sleep) of the Sen that this doll portrays. As time goes by, more and more of him is being discovered. It's just unwritten that's all. Eventually, I'll get the rest of the characters and maybe just maybe, I'll write the story out for all to read. Probably throw in a few arts too. Even just owning one character gets me all geared up and excited to complete him and discover more of him..imagine the rest! @w@

8. For me it's definitely an important part of the experience, because I'm a writer and I really enjoy any opportunity to explore characterization. I can't imagine getting a doll and *not* giving him or her a story and a personality. (In fact, for me, it's more a problem to get the dolls to go to the personalities-- the people all 'exist' in my head very clearly!)

=^__^=
      Anneko

9. Oh, most definitely. Most of my dolls have a story...usually before they even arrive to me. It's what attracts me to them and actually pushes me to make the final purchase. I see a doll that tickles my fancy, then I hear their name in my head and then next thing you know a story starts to form. It's like I can't help it. I've been writing since I was very young so its like automatic.

I even launched an extra website (http://www.pixxxiepie.com/thedollhouse/) just for the detailed profiles for my dolls and I hope to eventually write a fantasy speculative fiction novel inspired by their characters. Most of the novel I am working on is not listed there, except with relation to the profile for Sasha Alexzandre...He's my doll that seems to light my mind on fire the most, so his profile/background story is super chunky and I'm super proud of it.

Check it out if any of you get a chance (see: Sasha's Chamber). It feels like I proofread it regularly, so I'm always retooling or kicking out type-o's and trying to get all the grammar and punctuations right.

10. Well why not. I used to have this huge background for them with intervening storyline and the likes, but then I began buying dolls that had nothing to do with it, and found I enjoyed that a lot.

I can't not make up characters, though, and tend to give them 'likes' and 'dislikes' plus vague relations. When it comes to face-ups, clothing styles and photographing this is a lot more fun to be doing. It's an added facet to everything else creative that comes with bjds.

11. Yeah all of my dolls have a back story. I think it really helps you get to know them.

12. It seems that many BJD collectors out there get their dolls to fulfill the role of a character they have created, or create a character for them once the doll arrives. I haven't done this with any of my dolls though (maybe I am just not creative enough) but I do give each of my dolls their own personality that seems to develop on their own the longer I have them. I guess when I get a doll I kind of wait to see what they "want" to be lol and sometimes that process can take a while.

13. I do, and I also write about them.

Its not something necessary, but my brain is all words so I cant really help it.

14. Well, I am saving up for my own little one at the moment, and I have everything picked out (I plan) including a name (Louis), everything has fallen into place aside from a backstory... You see, I don't have any story in mind, general personality aside, and as I haven't done much in the way of writing I can't take inspiration from that...:(

If any of you have stories to go with your dolls how did you come up with them?

Danke, Flower

:aheartbea

15. My dolls used to just be dolls to me. Only after two years of getting to know the three I have, I'm starting to figure out the personalities that fit each of them. For instance, Daolan appears to be villanous and cunning, Milo bored and spoiled, and Hansel, he seems not quite... there, almost hollow. So I'm trying to come up with a story for these three (and maybe more dolls in the future depending on how the story goes) based on the personalities and characters they're developing.
      I never intended to make my dolls fit any previously established character. They're slowly writing themselves.

16. The doll I'm getting is based off a character I created, he's got quite a bit of backstory now @w@
      His life has been a bit hard *hugs him*

17. I came to this hobby as another extension to my doll collecting. I had a name and sort of brief outline for my first doll. That was it. It wasn't until that first doll arrived that her story began to grow. All other dolls are gone with only by bjds remaining. They all have names and stories. When I see a doll I love the name comes first and then the story. If I can't figure a story line then I don't buy the doll. It has to fit with the rest of my characters.

18. In my case it is the reverse: I gave my story the dolls to represent part of the character cast.

19. Like a lot of other people have said, my dolls will all be shells for my original characters. That way I can bring them to life, and actually have them interact with each other as they would in my stories. However, my need to bring all of my characters into reality has made it necessary to buy a lot of dolls... ^^;

20. Mine..are all over the place @_@ Originally I had somewhat of a story, and planned on just two dolls, because I already had their characters. But ever since taking a writer's class, I've come to change the story ideas again and again, and plan on getting more dolls for the other characters, if I can, because their personalities and appearances are already created in my imagination.

But the main reason I started collecting dolls was because they inspire both my art and writing, which revolves around their stories :)