1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Glass vs. Acrylic Eyes?

Jan 26, 2006

1. The Volks HG glass I got for my girl are bottle green, which is like a dark somewhat washed out green with brown lines. For me they are perfect and the color looks very natural to me at least. :smile:

2. I've seen some of those I think. Do you know if there are any glass eyes that match the color of Artistique Light Moss Green eyes? I'm fond of eyes with that faded parchment feel to them.

3. I prefer glass eyes, I like the depth. ^^

My only real problem with acrylic eyes is that my choice of eye putty tends to crack them.

4. Wow you guys!!! Thanks for all the responses. So many options to look at... I like the idea of getting acrylics to fool around with and then getting the glass ones when I find a color that I LOVE. Overwhelmed right now, gonna start checking out websites. Thanks again everyone!!

5. i love glass eyes, i dont really want funky colors so the glass is fine for me. glass just has a depth that acrylic doesnt really have. i dont mind paying the price for glass as long as i love them and use them

6. For me it's not what they're made out of, it's the way they are constructed and the color and detail. I have two that have glass and one that has acrylic, and I like both.

7. For my dolls its always polymer and silicone all the way! I know neither are what you are compairing, but in a wider sense I feel as though these should be included. My favorite brand is Masterpiece for both. I love how they have multiple colors mixing around, complete with flecks around the pupil. I do like glass, but they appear too stylized, especially when paired with my dolls face-ups. I mean when was the last time you looked at someone that had solid colored pupils with white swirly patterns?

Sera

8. Hmm. Tough answer. I ahve glass eyed porcelain dolls, ( I collect them too ) and some times they look...well. Dead. They glitter and catch light very nicely, but they look dead. Lazarus came with Soom eyes, and they are just wow. it's neat too, because they're squishy. ^_^ It's actually a little on the freaky side because they look almost tooo real. I'd go with one first, and if you don't like them, try something else. :smile:

9. Lessee. I hve 1 pair of Artistique acrylics, 2 pairs of Tallina/Antina acrylics, and 1 pair of Tallina/Antina glass eyes.

Artistiques: Nice, very natural color. However, when you get close to the doll's eye, you can tell it was printed on a computer in the way that the miniscule dots/dithering/screen toning is magnefied by the paperweight eye. Its a GOOD eye, and I always thought it was just right for me untill I bought glass eyes. Other than the aforementioned dithering, I do notice that the whites tend to appear gray when in my doll, or reflect the color of her skin rather than the world around her.

Tallina/Antina acrylics: Despite having threading, these eyes look very flat and lifeless, unlike Artistique. They're basically the same eyes you'd find in generic porcelain dolls. Purin only wears them for novelty; as for long-term wearing... no. She looks so... lifeless in them.

Tallina/Antina glass: I can never put acrylic eyes in my doll again (except for novelty, fun, etc). The way they catch the light is beautiful. It seems that she's truly looking at me, and not just staring blankly in my direction. The colors are natural and crisp, the whites having a liquid, milky look to them.

I can't wait to invest in some higher quality glass eyes!

But, it all depends on the person. I still love my Artistique acrylics. But I love my glass-eyes more.

10. My boy wears one of each, and I like them equally. I think glass are preferable if you're going for a natural look, but if you're looking for something a little out of the ordinary then acrylics tend to come in a far larger variety and are usually more immediately striking, IMO.

11. Whoops, posted this twice by accident.

12. All my dolls, except my Juri event head, came with glass eyes and it gives them, IMO, a less "realistic" look. I put yellow-gray acrylic's in Juri and they seem so real when I look at her, they have all the little lines. I like them much better and they are cheaper and won't break if dropped.

I should mention, Mara came with blue-black glass eyes that unless seen in sunlight, look like they are black/brown with no line just pupils and a darker ring around the iris. In sunlight they are blue and do have filaments in them, but she's not often in sun so I can't see them. Arashi has glass eyes and there are no lines, I didn't notice how off that seemed until I saw the acrylics set in Juri.

13. The problem with acrylics... They tend to wash out a lot in photos..
      When I had my DOD, and couldn't afford glass, there was an awful lot of pictures where his eyes were dull brown-black zombie holes. With glass (The only eyes I own now :D) You at least get the white of the eye, and the iris.) Even when you take pictures in the gray, rainy Washington days.

14. I love Glass eyes. They are just so bright and clear and you can see dept. Its great. I like acrylics too. I love soul doll and their choice of colors. ^^

15. I'm a glass eye kind of girl.

16. I guess it just repends on the company and the doll they're in. All of my dolls, incidentally, have glass right now, either because it's what they came with, or just what I haven't misplaced. My Kun came with a pair of very pretty 20mm acrylics but I decided that it didn't fit my image of her, so I took them out and put some deep brown 18mm glass ones and she looks so much better. I gave the acrylics to a friend of mine who needed eyes for her Juri, and they looked really pretty in her. I really love the depth of Glass eyes, my favorites are my thin green zouks which are striking no matter what doll I put them in, but the shape is weird (flat, and won't fit into most dolls unless you bevel out the inside of their head more), but I also have a pair of the light blue/violet (I don't know what the name of the color is...) from Tallina's that were pretty inexpensive and I like how they look too. But, I've seen eyes like Reborn doll eyes in person, which are like, $5 from www.rebornsupplies.com, and they are GORGEOUS, and soul doll eyes (the way the iris is set in the white is kinda funky to me) are very, very pretty. I don't have a lot of money to spend on things like eyes, so I have to watch my pennies, I would love to have EA Eyecandies, or Antique Rose, or any of the other really nice glass eyes (I know there's another one that starts with an E... my brain just isn't letting me remember right now). So I just pretty much take what I can get.

17. Isobel eyes costed me less than 2 dollars and are exactly what I was looking for.

[​IMG]

*Personally*, I prefer eyes that look real, doesn't matter the material. Glass eyes tend to look like... well, like doll's eyes. I prefer my dolls to look as scarily human as possible (hehe), but it's a matter of personal taste.

So I'd suggest you to get several pairs of cheap eyes in lots of colours and once you decide which colour fits your doll better, than buy a good pair of glass eyes. If you hate it, you can always sell it later.

The more important thing is, your doll has to please YOU. If everybody says glass eyes are cool and acrylic are cheap, but you prefer the second, don't buy expensive things just because you think they're the best. The best thing is what pleases your taste, not other people's.

18. I am completely in love with glass/urathene eyes XD
      I had 2 pairs of acrylic ones... But I hardly use them ><
      As mentioned before, there is no pupil depth in the acrylic ones. Though initially I thought they are realy really beautiful, after sometime of staring at him... the eyes just loses the luster for me. The glass and urethene ones grows on me more and more slowly in contrast.

One thing is the specular too. The glass eyes specular seems to be sharper and rounder. My acrylic ones seems slightly more diffused and is an elongated specular. Seems kind of wierd in my opinion ^^"

19. T.T I really want some Ethereal Angels Eye Candies but I can't justify the purchase to myself until I at least have a head... http://etherealangels.net/eyes/

20. I love glass the best... the only acrilics I have are the defaults for my lusis, which I keep, but never use.