1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Glass vs. Acrylic Eyes?

Jan 26, 2006

1. Glass!!! OMG glass. At first I thought, from pictures, I could not see a difference. And acrylic are cheaper. But then I got my first bjds with glass eyes. Pipos Ringo. And was blown away. Gorgeous!!! I eventually want to get all my dolls glass eyes. They are amazing!!!!

2. I love glass but acrylic is soooo much more realistic they look a lot nicer

3. I'm in love with glass eyes...:love Even though they are more expensive and color choices are less than acrylic one. Unfortunately, a pair of free eyes from companies are mostly acrylic. (just few companies offer free glass eyes) So I usually order new one from Kanis-Augen when I order my dolls.

4. I like glass because they're easier to put in. the acrylic ones I have are like little buttons, they don't have the stem that glass ones do so it's hard to adjust them once they're in the head. Or maybe it's just the eyes that I have.
      I like acrylic for the designs they have, but other than that I like glass more

5. I like both depending on certain things. I like anime eyes, which are usually acrylic. I love the blue eyes my girl came with, even though she doesn't wear them since her character had brown eyes. I love glass eyes because they are easier to put in and adjust due to the stems. My favorite eyes are the pair my girl is currently wearing. They're reddish brown glass eyes with a pattern that makes them look real. They catch so much light and I tend to find myself staring into them. :sweat

6. I like glass more. It just looks so much prettier to me ;)

7. I like both and use both (among other eyes).
      Acrylics are cheaper to come by, great for trying out different eye sizes and even though they don't have this deep lively look and scratch easily, they come in many great colours.
      Glass eyes are more durable and look better, but come at a higher price. I love the colours and depth, though. Only thing I don't really like are high-dome eyes. They often don't fit very well or make the doll look very fishy. ^^;

I can't say I prefer one type over the other, though.

8. It really depends on the doll. If you want your doll to look very realistic, there are acrylic eyes with realistic patterns in them. The same applies for more fantasy dolls; if you want your doll to have hearts or stars or really specific shapes and patterns in their eyes, acrylic is the way to go. Glass has a lovely depth and photographs well because it catches light, and some glass eyes have "tracking", where the pupil appears to follow you. High dome glass eyes have a better depth and are able to catch more light, but may not fit into your doll's eyewells without gapping. Inversely, low dome will fit most eyewells, but won't be as striking as high-domed eyes.

9. I prefer glass just because to me they tend to "follow" me better. That probably creeps some people out but for me it just adds to the realism. One of my newer dolls was sent with acrylic eyes from the seller who also did a custom faceup for me. She picked eyes that looked like the lady who the faceup was based on and I haven't changed them. If I ever find glass eyes that color though, I'll probably change them. Acrylics are harder for me to eliminate the dead eye stare.

10. I prefer glass eyes. They tend to look more bright, glossy, and realistically natural to me.
      Acrylic eyes seem to lack luster. Guess it depends on the doll though, and what the owner is going for.

11. Neither -- I prefer urethanes. I never ever use acrylics, and only one of my dolls has glass eyes; I lucked into a lovely pair of Ginarolos that look perfect in him so I'm not in a rush to upgrade him to Mystics. But four of my boys DO wear Mystics and just. GUH. Such beautiful things. Love.

Not seeing much love for silicone here, which is too bad -- Soom has a ridonkulous spread of colors and patterns to choose from and they're great for oddly-shaped eyewells because they smoosh.

12. For the ultimate in Realism, I go for the highest quality Glass eyes.

13. Very high end glass eyes for me. Not only do they catch light, track well, and have amazing depth, they're also incredibly durable. No scratching, staining, breaking, or yellowing with them.

If I can't find eyes from the eye makers I prefer, like Silver or Hitomiya, I'll get urethane eyes for my dolls.

14. It seems like lots of ppl prefer glass eyes. I will need to check them out to see the difference.

15. Maybe it's just my bad experience, but I really don't like glass eyes, as acrylic seems to me are more realistic at photos.