1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Going Into Debt For Dolls - are the potential long-term consequences worth it?

Jun 15, 2008

1. I definitely agree that talking about debt - heck, talking about money in general - is a touchy and personal subject. It is for me, even, having been on both sides of the equation before. Realization of the sensitive nature of this topic was what prompted me to put the thread in Debate rather than General Discussion.

But at the same time, because it IS an issue - can we say that it isn't an issue in this hobby what with all the threads that constantly pop up about 'how do I tell mom and dad' or 'what is the most valuable thing you had to sell' or 'what was the stupidest thing you did for a doll' or 'using CCs to pay for dolls?' and so on and so forth? - it makes sense to me that an honest and open discussion about getting into debt for the sake of owning dolls might not be a bad thing to happen.

Debt IS a terrifying thing and it is terrifying enough to people that people will sometimes turn to bankruptcy without really seeing if credit companies will work with them. It is terrifying enough that people will disconnect their phones or stop picking up phones. It is terrifying enough that I know of people who flat-out moved away to run away from debt collectors.

I know it is a terrifying thing, but to me, that's an even better reason to try and be honest about the whole getting into debt business.

And yes, I do know how difficult it is to stick to one's guns and not make any potentially rash decisions when everyone else is buying dolls left and right; I've just been scared one too many times to let myself be impulsive. :sweat

Like I said in an earlier post; I've been there and done it - got into serious debt for a while and eventually got myself back out - and to me, my memories of those craptastic series of events is enough to kick my 'good sense' into telling my impulsiveness that, "NO, you do NOT want to go back there again."

The subject, like you said, is a touchy one and I myself am touchy about sharing my own series of experiences regarding debt, but if me and others from different sides of the proverbial equation sharing their experiences and facilitating a discussion can give other people an opportunity to learn about things they might not have thought about or didn't want to ask about then I'm willing to share.

I can definitely see how you might feel that way and I'm sorry if this thread and its discussion made you feel that way as it wasn't created to give people an outlet to pass judgment.

On the other hand, I will be very honest and ask this:

If people can discuss the 'stupidest things' they've done or the most valuable things they've sold to afford a doll, talk about how they'd rather be homeless rather than selling their doll(s), talk about how they're skipping meals (not just eating out, but skipping meals) and skipping bills on account of their dolls, keep asking questions on how 'right or wrong' it is to put a doll on a credit card...

Then what's wrong about having a discussion that addresses similar issues, but from a different angle?

I, personally, am not trying to step on people's toes here, but if people can act flippant about getting themselves into debt on account of their dolls (this isn't to say that they actually are, but a lot of the actions and attitudes do come across to me as such), then I think I can be serious in talking about the consequences that can come of getting into debt on account of their dolls.

And that's the other thing, too.

"On account of their dolls."

I want to clarify that I'm not talking about getting into debt for 'practical' reasons, nor am I talking about getting into debt because some emergency popped up.

I am very specifically talking about people getting into debt on account of their dolls and didn't HAVE to get into debt on account of their dolls.

Life necessities - place to live, food to eat, utilities - are all necessary items to me. Things like dolls, big screen television sets, the newest game console and games are all luxury items. In lieu of that, I'm talking specifically about people who put 'luxury' items before their necessities or are willing to pay for their dolls but not their bills.

For example:

- person who had enough money for rent, utilities, other necessities and then some who suddenly spent almost all of it on dolls and didn't have enough to even pay rent

Said person had to borrow, borrow, borrow and they could have avoided such a situation completely. The situation stressed them out incredibly, but they went ahead with their purchase and continued to be even more stressed out.

- person who has enough to pay off X amount on their credit card every month accumulating thousands of dollars in doll-related debt that, at the rate they are going, won't be paid off anytime soon and not without a heck of a lot of interest and the minute something unexpected comes up, BAM

This topic isn't about 'Being in debt makes you a bad, bad, BAD person!' At all.

This topic is about 'Was it/Is it worth it to be in debt over your ears on account of dolls and be fretting day in and day out over making payments on life's necessities like rent and bills and why?'

2. No need to apologize--I think you set up the topic pretty well. It wasn't so much a complaint about discussing spending, but rather the inevitable blanket statements that come up because either people often don't stop to consider that other people's situations are different than there own, or because it feels good to be able to say "well I did the right thing" (not saying that everyone thinks that way, but I have a sneaking suspicion that that may be part of it). People are very eager to proclaim that they would never have dolly debt and often imply that those that do are somehow irresponsible or silly. And that's what I find objectionable. It's a sensitive topic, and it's ok to discuss sensitive things, but they need to be addressed sensitively ;)

As for the last part of your post:
      For me it's been worth it, but I don't have trouble paying my bills and am not actually in debt up to my ears--I am not afraid of my credit card or a little debt, but I have my limits. I asked myself if I went back and had the oppurtunity to do things over, would I not use my cc. I think I would do things pretty much the same, because I enjoy my dolls and don't regret any of them. Remember, having some debt does not automatically mean that a person is struggling to pay bills or fending off bill collectors.

3. Hey, I find [that] objectionable myself because, like you and others have said, there are many ins and outs and roundabouts regarding the whys and wherefores people get/got into debt and it isn't fair to try and blanket-statement everyone or make assumptions.

Very true! That was one of the points I addressed in an earlier post when I made a differentiation between different sorts of 'being in debt' situations and I think that maybe I should note that somewhere in the OP.

Credit cards AREN'T bad and carrying a balance isn't necessarily a bad thing either, as you have pointed out.

It seems to be more a matter of how well a person understands and handles their debt situation.

If XYZ person were in $2000 debt and were okay with only paying $100 or less a month plus interest knowing how long it would take to pay off and knowing how much extra money they'd be paying... it wouldn't float my boat, but if it works for them and they're content with it, then in some ways, why not?

But too often, I think people don't entirely understand that there's a price to pay for buying on credit and not being able to pay it all off in a reasonable amount of time.

If one can hardly afford to pay for rent and utilities and only sometimes groceries, putting a doll down on a credit card just spells trouble to me as one's already struggling to make ends meet as it is.

4. That's your personal preference. I know many people whose student debt is well into the six figures - some are concerned about it, some are not, and some just figure they will deal it the best way they know how. They are in professions where they have a lot of company as far as people having similar debts. It is the norm. They can't stop living just because they have a big fat debt.

My personal opinion is that someone's debts, whether they're for school, hobbies, mortgages etc. are their own business. People do like to brag about being debt-free, it makes me laugh a bit because as you said no one ever brags about carrying debt. I'll freely acknowledge that yes, I have debt in a lot of areas. I also have assets in a lot of areas. I'm not going to list specifics because it's nobody's business but let's just say I was raised not to fear debt and I think it was a good lesson. I'm a huge worrywart so the more I can overcome that and just face life on a practical level while having some fun, the better off I am.

One "problem" with talking about the debt "problem" is that people in the doll community seem pretty quick to want to see other people as having a "problem", not just with debt but with number of dolls, how they treat their dolls, etc. Sometimes I have a feeling that many in the community feel self-conscious about being in a hobby that other adults might find weird, so they try to identify examples of other people they think are "weirder" or even "sick" so they can feel better about themselves. I already mentioned this on the "Unhealthy Obsession" thread but I think it also carries over into "money spent." As in, "yeah I spent too much at the Dolpa but at least I don't have problems like that person over there who spent twice as much as me!"

I think it would be interesting but would ultimately show that it's almost never profitable to go into debt for a doll. The few cases where it might be (e.g. spend 500 or 700 to buy a doll that sells for 5,000 a few years later) are likely flukes. As shown by the "Dolls as an Investment" thread, dolls really aren't a good investment, and I don't think most people buy them as an investment - they're just happy if they can get back price paid (which has probably devalued when they sell the doll and also probably does not include interest on credit cards that might have accrued if they charged the doll). I personally buy dolls because it makes me feel better to have them around. I don't think you can measure my emotional capital in terms of investment appreciation.

5. I cannot deal with debt at all... my personal comfort level with it is extremely low. I have no debts (in my name though I'm helping with a mortgage, but I won't go into that story -_-) at all, and go into a real sweat if my credit card bill approaches even 1K. If it's over that then boy am I a wreck. So no! Debt for dolls is absolutely not worth it at all!
      I am pleased to have only a few dolls anyhow, but if I was in debt I'd sell them in a heartbeat.

Raven

6. I personally wouldn't go into debt for dolls. Or go into debt for anything in fact if I could help it. I just try to make sure that I have enough money for everything and the unavoidable possibilities before going and buying a new doll.

For me, I think if I ever did decide to go into debt for something I would consider a luxury like a doll, then as much as I might set boundaries like people have suggested, it would be too easy for me to fall into the habit of pushing it a little further each time because I may get into the habit of it.

I am not saying that would happen by any means but I don't want to possibly put myself in a situation where I see it as simply an everyday thing that doesn't matter. Neither does it mean that I would actually push the boundaries but I don't think anyone can tell what they would do until they are in that situation so to save myself the hassle I just attempt to avoid it in advance.

The less temptation the better for me:lol:

7. No, I would not go into debt for a doll.

I have been obsessed with them for a little over 3 years currently, and finally ordered one.

I did not have the money earlier, and I am not willing to put myself in debt for them.

I had considered Layaway, but in the end I ruled that it would be wiser to have all the money and get it done then having to stress about paying it each month, it is not a lot better then a credit card payment, except with a credit card you get the doll sooner but on no better of a standpoint.

If it came down to it, I would turn back around and sell her, but I do not think this will happen.

Oddly, my partner who is in college and myself have 0 debt, and infact, are quite far above it. Our current reserves are approximately 4500$ for yearly flights etc.
      This does not include the money we also make each month.

Even though Mabel only cost underneath 500$ for clothes, makeup, wig, etc - It is a lot of money and regardless of if we had a lot more money, we had to prioritize.. and damn it was hard for 3 years.
      But it is what had to be done. I may have loved them, but it was not worth it.

8. My dolls would go before my roof would. No matter what happened, I know that at some point I would be able to get them back, even if I was searching for that mold for another 15 years, I could get them back. A roof is much harder to restore once its gone, especially if you can't even hope to fall back on anyone for help. Thus, as hard as it would be to part with my dorries, I'd have to say: "Good bye, until we meet again"

As for the use of credit cards to purchase dolls? I'd probably do it if I was more than certain that I could afford to pay it back. When I say that I can pay it back I mean that I can pay it off in just a few months, rather than paying just the $25 minimum payment I could put more than that on it and actually get rid of it, without having to fear the repoman.

If you really see dolls more as a need rather than a want, it might actually be a good idea to take a few steps back and really take a look around at yourself. Dolls, no matter how much we love them will always be just carved hunks of resin, not food, water, clothes or a house.

9. I use my credit card for my dolls and their stuff, for convenience's sake, and I do often carry a balance on it. However, my dolls exist above and beyond my normal finances and they carry no value. That is to say, if I were to have financial difficulties of any sort, the dolls would not be sold to cover any debt. They're here and they are here to stay. Think of it in terms of consumables...you go out to dinner at a nice restaurant, spend more than you probably should, however you can't resell the food you consumed. The dolls can't be resold, just like that steak and lobster dinner!

So, I've moved forward carefully and in a way that doesn't put any stress on my actual financial picture.

10. I'm so glad I found this thread~

I'm new here, and an aspiring BJD owner..I'm looking to buy my first doll but I'm hesitant about the money... Perhaps someone on here can help me one way or the other. I'm starting college this fall and I've noticed several students on this thread.

I'm extremely paranoid about my money; bills and gas come first always. However, due to graduation and birthday money I'm in the okay as far as my bank is concerned. As I said, I start school in fall, and my tuition is covered about 80% for the semester and I'm starting a part time job next week, so I'm considering spending some money on a doll since I've wanted one for ages..

So what do you guys think? Should I wait for college to start to see if I need my saved money? Or would it be passable to drop some money? I'm not planning on buying anything too pricey, probably Apollo from Bobobie.

11. "What's a rich man's worst nightmare? A near-debt experience."

I hate the word, because I'm in it. Getting there has been an adventure, but some good things helped cause it, too. I'll never pass judgment on anyone who hits debt for dollies, as I incurred some to get my precious cat, and I wouldn't trade him for the world.

As many have said, life happens. I'm expecting the mythical IRS Stimulus Check, and had a momentary thought of using the majority of it to get my first doll. Logically, however, it'll be thrown at bills and the like, although I'm hoping I can take some of it to get started on my future doll.

It's not a fun thing, but debt can be resolved, and the things they might've put you there were, hopefully, not frivolous. I mostly agree with what Krissy said - once purchased, the doll'd stay, unless circumstances were really dire. I'd place my doll in the same category as my cat, being that they're about equal in cost (!!!).

I waited to get The Sir, because I wasn't going to settle for just any cat. I can only do the same for a doll, and hopefully I won't find myself panhandling downtown to pay it off! :sweat

12. What I would do, and this is just me, is wait till you get your first paycheck from your job and use that to get your doll. This way you'll have a good idea of how much money you'll really be getting from your job and just how much your school expenses are going to be. If you're looking at a standard doll then you don't need to worry about limited runs and you can see the doll as a celebration of your first paycheck and starting school.

13. Speaking as someone who is probably your parents' age, I'd say, yes, reward yourself. You sound like you are really responsible. You've thought about your finances. You have a future planned, which should net you more finances if you study hard and play your cards right. Part of what keeps us motivated is experiencing the fruit of our labor.

My son is going to be a junior at NYU. His interests include music, so along the years before college, he bought himself guitars and an amp. It's a joy for us to hear him play when he's home. This Spring, he vacationed twice in Europe to be with his girlfriend, who was doing a semester abroad. No argument from me when he's pulling straight As and scored himself a summer internship.

This is an amazing economy, even with global competition and rising gas prices, when we can afford the technology and luxuries we do. I come from the "three channels on a color TV (if you're lucky, otherwise, it was black and white) and one, maybe two, cars in the garage" generation. All that being said, be circumspect at this stage in your life. Don't get carried away with doll after doll. Prioritize necessities first, and don't get into excessive debt. From what you posted, I'd say that's preaching to the choir, so, for this moment in time, live a little :-)

14. That actually sounds like a great idea..! ^^ Especially the celebration gift to moi part. I like excuses to get myself things. XD The doll I really want is $194 from Junky Spot with shipping, which isn't bad for a 1/3 from what I can tell.

What would you suggest as far as a..."system", i guess you could say, for buying clothes and such for him? I've established that I first want a wig (since he comes with eyes I believe) and probably pants after that so my mom won't freak at me having an anatomically correct toy on my bed.

But should I perhaps buy him one thing a month, every other check, etc?I guess I should wait to see what I make at my job first,huh... :lol: I'm very excited about getting a doll.

Thank you for your help!

15. Thank you very much, your compliments are too kind. ^^ It's a great relief to hear such things from someone not in my age group (no offense, I promise!). I've noticed it's easy for people in the same generation or age group to hold similar values and beliefs, so to hear that from someone more experienced than I am is of great value to me. :) Thank you!

16. No offense at all. I've earned my "stripes," lol. It's a pleasure to see the next generation coming of age, and fun to have something in common, ie dolls, but see it through a different perspective.

17. The one thing a month plan doesn't sound too bad. I get paid monthly so I take a certain amount out of each paycheck to go towards dolls stuff. I do recommend getting at least a couple starter things, like wigs and pants, right away because half the fun is making the doll not bald and naked *laughs* But I think it'll also give you something to look forward to each month.

My first doll was a bit of a reward doll as well during school. I got him right before I went on study abroad when I was able to get refunded from one of the programs I'd applied to and didn't go on. I also have to admit, while I don't usually condone spending money to relieve stress, if you do have the funds college/university can be a really stressful time and it can be good to have a distraction.

18. I'm in debt because I went to university. I owe about £9000 for three years tuition and loans and I'm still not sweating because in the UK you start paying it back once you're on a £15,000 a year salary...however, if I owed £9000 because of dolls I think I would be crapping my pants. I recieved an excellent education for that 9K and I wouldn't swap that for no debt...I just couldn't say the same for dolls, as much as I love them.

I have got a good job, I love to work, I don't struggle from day to day (although I got a surprise bill the other day, boo hiss!), so when I drop £130 on a doll, I'm not going to be upset or feel awful for spending money. It's only money that would go on consumables anyway and once that chocolate's gone...it's on your hips to stay :lol:

Once Souldoll Hye arrives later this year, I'm cooling off my doll collecting. I don't need any more resinkids and I'm not planning for more. I have also got more hours at work, so I have more disposable income. Most of it will be to save and I want to get to the point where I have £1000 in my current account and £2000 in my savings and then I will be content. There are plenty of money saving measures I am taking anyway, I cycle to work, which cuts down on bus fare, and I make my own lunches instead of eating out. There are ways of saving money that don't make you look desperate and one rent away from homelessness.

19. That's true (referring to something to look forward to) At least I won't be spending a crapload of money on my lolita clothes...Hopefully collecting dolls will break my addiction to frilly clothes.

And I will so need a distraction in college.. My doll will replace my lack of pets. ^^ And scare my roommate with as well. I don't actually have to start repaying college stuff until a year after I graduate, so that's pretty cool.. Hopefully I can afford to treat myself once a month ^^ As long as he isn't bald or naked or eyeless there's no real rush.

kittyaz: thank you very much! ^^

20. I used my credit card to buy my puki, but only because I knew I'd be getting paid in a week and would be able to pay the credit card immediately. I try to completely pay off my credit card every month so that I don't "carry" and debt and incur the high fees.

A credit card should always be thought of as temporary money that MUST be paid off by the end of the month in its entirety. If you can't, then whether or not you have the credit to afford something doesn't matter, because you don't have the "real" money to actually afford it.

Obviously, this applies only to frivolous purchases. Things like surgery and other unavoidable necessary expenses are a different story.