1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Guilt over customization?

Aug 5, 2007

1. So you should be, woman -- we miss him too! XP

Heh, moving on from bullying Ann a minute, I made a lot of changes to my limited edition Juri '05 head, in the minor (making him into a boy and attaching him to a male body) and the major (modding the shape of his eyes so as to make him look completely different from normal Juris) sense. I know some people would feel guilty about something like this, especially with a limited head like this, but he's mine and I've got no intentions of ever letting him go, and he fits the character he's meant to be far better this way. All that adds up to no guilt at all for me here: as people have already said, customisation is what these dolls were meant for, and if a change - either big or small - lets you love the doll better, why on earth wouldn't you??

2. Hm, good question. Since Loki didnt came with a wig, I bought the one that will fit the character, plus I changed one eye^^" no regrets there, but I'm planing to buy a male doll, Zen, Loki's frient, but since he's character a demon, I'll have to do some mods on his face/body, and to buy a really pretty and handsome doll for that..I feel a little guilty to mod the dolls Luts, DoD or other big companies sell.

3. No guilt. Changing wigs & eyes are part of the process. You may want to try some enhancements before wiping the entire face-up. Often I've found that just a little change makes a huge difference. These dolls are made for customization.

4. I wasn't going nuts. I'm sorry, I didn't know about the rule, but if the rule is one bump per 24 hours, well, I really did only do one post, right?

5. Ahhhhhhhh!!!!! You're even following me into different threads to bully me now!!!!!!!

I repent I repent!!:...( :...( :...( :...( :...(

6. Considering those dolls are made for customizing and that doll distributors almost always sell eyes, wigs etc.- what's to feel guilty about? Those dolls are made especially for this purpose- for you to be able to make them your own.

As to removing other customizers' work- well, it can make me feel a bit guilty at times, especially if they put lots of effort and thought into it. But hopefully they'll understand, and the guilt subsides after a while :).

7. Well, I decided right away that I wouldn't buy LE dolls because I'd feel guilty about modding them (if I find one already at least partially changed on the second hand market all bets are off). Given that, I think the only time a mod could make me feel guilty is if it destroyed my ability to love my doll, and I am planning major mods for my next doll, like a permanent, sculpted tail.

I did feel a little bad while I was changing the initial cheap eyes I'd gotten Tanal to the Masterpiece acrylics that I'd had to wait for, but as soon as I saw the MPs in there was no thought of going back.

8. I agree with thothep. If the doll is uber limited, I won't make any modifications other than maybe changing the eyes and wigs. If it's an easier to get doll or one that has already been modified, then all bets are off. I've seen several people modify an LE doll, and it almost breaks my heart. At the same time, it's their doll to do what they want with it. :)

9. I don't feel a single scrap of guilt for any of the things I've done to any of my lot, they wouldn't've been right if I hadn't done it and I wouldn't have kept them :) Just adapt at will and enjoy them, that's what they're for after all :)

10. I was very guilty when I changed the first face up on both of mine. But afterwards it became like an obssession. Whenever I couldn't sleep (at least one night every couple of months) I would re-do one of their face-ups. After an initial fear, I also started modding Anwyls face. It's not complete yet, but he doesn't look quite like a chiwoo anymore. There are, of course, still similarities.

Anyway. Point. It's been said several times already, and I agree. Even the doll manufacturers know that the buyers are going to do modding. It's one of the reasons that they sell the tools to do it. So don't feel guilty. After all, if it is just the eyes and wigs, if you dont like it, switch 'em back.

11. No regrets, I love customization <3
      (and I'd just like to mention that I go much further than just changing eyes and wigs)

Sera~

12. :sweat Well, I have to raise my hand and admit to the guilty plea.
      And all I've done is wig/eyes/and watercolor pencil tattoos. :roll:
      I often feel guilty about covering Renji (UD Jace) with tattoos.
      Especially when I see all the other Jace's posted with such wonderful faceups that look natural and alluring.
      I know it's just me, I know it's nothing permanent, but still. :sweat
      I do wonder if I've wronged him somehow. :|
      Yeah... I'm getting just a leeeeetle too much into these dolls! ;)

13. I have a MSD Hisui and I do and I don't. I love how she looks like a completely different person with her black wig on than when she has her blonde wig. But her when her default wig got horribly tangled I tried to straighten it based on a tutorial I found and it didn't go so well. So I do feel guilty she can't go back to how she was. But it's only temporary until I get around to buying another wig. :sweat

14. I just switched around two of my boys wigs, and I think they look better now than they have for the past 4 months that I've had them. XD

I've also switched 3/4 of my boys eyes.

I don't really mind changing things on them as long as I know I can change it back if I don't like it.... Faceups I don't touch because I know I'd kill myself if I screwed them up.

15. hhhmmm.... i have felt sorry for my first Doll Rudolph. He had to go though my first crappy face-upsXDXD i'm sure he's glad thats over. Other then that i have always considered their changes to be postive.
      I did feel guilty when i sold my Pitts doll. I had to come to terms with the fact i just didnt like her, adn it was best for her to go with someone else. It was still sad to see her go.

16. Customization guilt, yes. *nods* I have a sleeping vampire Breakaway, and I love what I've done to him, it's a beautiful modification in my opinion (nose sanded way down for more asian look and eyes opened) but sometimes I wish I had opened his eyes less. I am also afraid of having people mad at me for what I've done. I love the way he looks, and for the most part have no regrets... but I'm scared to put his pictures up because I know how angry some people get over modded limiteds. *sigh* So, yes, sometimes I do feel guilty for customizing my kid... even though I love him. ToT

17. WOW people actually get upset over the way others have modded their dolls??XDXD that seems like a waste of emotion to me. Its not their doll way should they even care?
      I personally love to see how people have modded their dolls limited or not. Show him off i bet he's beautiful!!!!!!!

18. No-one should be made to feel guilty about any mods they have chosen to have done on their dolls, it is their choice and really should not be anybody else's business.
      changing eyes,wigs etc is all part of the fun but changing face-ups of much loved dolls can be a scary thing to undertake. The whole doll personality changes, i think you should be 100% sure you want to take the chance that your doll could be changed forever.
      Be Brave

19. Not guilty, just nervous! The idea of opening a sleeping head's eyes makes my skin crawl, but that's probably just because I'm a n00b and haven't ever attempted it (and a worrier--I can see what could go wrong). I'd only regret a mod if it ruined the doll, say breaking off fingers while trying to separate them, or destroying his faceup while trying to "touch it up." I'd probably feel differently if he was a concept doll, a full package with a custom face and all that, but since he's common, I agree that modifying him to my own taste is half the fun.

20. Heh, I tend to feel guilty if I don't drastically alter a doll's original appearance from the default. In fact, I've finally decided to sell one of my boys because I wasn't really doing anything with him, and I need the money for other projects.

Granted, I don't like to do anything too permanent without plotting and practicing first, and I don't know that I would have to guts to drastically modify a limited doll.