1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Guilt over customization?

Aug 5, 2007

1. I'm pretty sure I won't feel guilty about it.

If I don't customize them the way I want them to be then I won't feel happy and satisfied.

I'm thinking of changing my twin's face-ups sooner or later (more later than sooner XD), I just have to figure out how to calm down my parents before they hear the news. ^ ^;;

2. I would only feel guilty if I didn't do anything to make them mine! ;)

3. I'm not feeling guilty about customising.
      It's just the way to make your doll more "you"/like the character he should be :)

Both my dolls will be customised until they are what they should be, and I like experimenting with new styles and ideas. Just the regular things for me, extensive modding is a thing that I will regret though..

4. Not guilty at all.

I haven't changed the eyes in any of them (eyes are too much like a part of them for me to want to change them) face-ups and wigs I can change because people change their make-upa nd hair colour and style very easily (and wear wigs) Though I've only had the face-up changed on one (Petite Ai Raphael) because the original one was amateurish and not very well carried out - the new one was the same colour and style, but much better done. I could change the eyes if there was a doll equivalent of popping in a pair of coloured contact lenses.... after all I change my own eye-colour that way{g}

The only permanent customisation I've made was to the RML head I have on an SD10 body - I took a dremmel to the back of the neck socket and ground it down so that her head had a better range of movement (the back of the socket curved down making it impossible for the head to tilt backwards so she couldn't look up, poor thing) . I don't feel any guilt about that at all. It was necessary.

Teddy

5. No guilt. I almost quit the hobby after getting my first doll because of his default eyes and face up. I got his face redone, and now, after owning him over a year, he's almost where I want him. I added facial hair last month, so now he's a man baby, and I couldn't imagine parting with him now. All he needs now is his tattoos!

6. I dont feel guilty at all, one of the reasons that i love bjds so much is that they are completly customisable. It fantastic that 6 people can all own the same doll and all of them will be completly different.

I have changed Lilith's eyes and wig but she has the default face up, (she was my first doll and i didnt want to mess it up). She also has the E-an default outfit but its not her so she has lots of other clothes too.

I dont think id ever do any of the drastic cutting mods on her but who can say on future dolls?

7. I felt guilty when i changed my first dolls faceup for the first time...It was really a bad feeling...I thought about selling the head and buying a new one just to have him with a default faceup again...I'm not sure what made me feel this way but everytime i remember,i just laugh xD
      He looks much better with the faceup i gave to him...Much unique and much mine...I know now,there's no meaning of buying a doll,if i'm not going to make him/her completely mine...And imo,customization is one of the ways making your doll unique.I mean,it would be funny if everyone had the similar dolls... ^___^

8. I'm not sure 'guilt' is the best word, but I've definitely felt apprehensive about modding my dolls. I've modified a few default face-ups (changed Heliot's eyeshadow from blue to brown, added freckles to my Alex, and minimised the blush on my bronze Topaz). I'm also planning some more serious mods (sanding down my Galena's bust and adding holes in her back for her wings), which I'm pretty scared about. I think it's normal to be nervous, though! BJDs cost so much, and so much can potentially go wrong when you're modding them, that I think a bit of nervousness is actually a good thing - it keeps you focused and careful! I think it would only be a problem if you felt so nervous that you couldn't do the mods - then you'd be left with a doll that wasn't exactly what you wanted, and I think in the end you'd feel so dissatisfied you might even end up needing to sell the doll. Compared to that, I'd much rather overcome my nervousness and attempt to make my dolls exactly what I want them to be :)

9. I don't feel bad at all when I change my dolls. As soon as they get to me, they get new eyes, wigs and clothing anyway. And if I don't like the faceup, that gets replaced too.

10. I do feel guilty towards my wallet atm, since ive paid a lot of $$$ for a default face-up I highly dislike now the doll has arrived. I have wiped them often before, but never this fast (within hours of arrival)

Will wipe it as soon as I have the chance.

11. I felt a bit apprehensive about changing the faceup on my first doll, though that went away after I did it. That faceup's since been wiped and redone again, but the experience of doing it took away that anxiety. I also feel a little apprehensive about some extensive mods I'll be doing in the future, and about sanding/lightly modding a non-NS doll I recently received. (I've never sanded anything darker than NS so I'm not sure how to proceed yet.)

But changing eyes/wigs? No apprehension there, I do that all the time. If the wig isn't quite right or I find a nicer pair of eyes, a swap happens, and generally helps bring the doll closer to my vision.

12. I bought a full set for my first doll and I completely intended for her to stay as her stock default. Well that didn't last long :lol: I felt guilty since I thought it would "ruin" her value and make her worth less. I soon realized that it didn't matter-I wanted her for me not to be worth some amount of money. Plus it's not like she suddenly becomes worthless because she's a little bit different. It took me a while but I realized that my dolls are for me and not some collectible that isn't meant to be touched or loved.

13. I understand what you mean - Ces had his factory default face-up and white hair for six years. As he aged I grew less and less satisfied with them and eventually changed them. It felt odd at first, like holding another doll, and honestly I didn't feel like it was my Ces anymore (his character). However, I grew used to it the more I handled him, and reminded myself it was very much the same doll. Now I feel much more positive about the changes and the 'guilt' has gone.