1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Half-lidded Eyes

Aug 9, 2017

?
  1. Yes

43.1%
  2. No

6.0%
  3. It depends on the sculpt

50.9%
    1. Dreamy sculpts are my favorite. :) I usually find the expressions more captivating than other sculpts.

2. For me personally, it can sometimes depend on the sculpt. I do like the brooding or dreamy expressions of some dolls.

I also find it interesting when a company or doll artist offers a "half-lidded" eyes version of an existing sculpt. It can open up a whole new range of possibilities for a character or make you appreciate something about the sculpt you may not have considered at first.

3. If I had a large collection of dolls, I don't think I'd want them to all have dreaming expressions, but generally speaking ... I love half-lidded eyes!! I always gravitate to them much more than I do to wide-eyed sculpts. Naturally, it depends on what you're going for in terms of aesthetic/character ... but personally, I find them more tranquil and candid looking than other sculpts. Kind of like the difference between snapping a photo of someone on the fly, or having a photo of someone in which they're smiling for the camera.

4. I just got a Minifee Spring 2017 head and I'm just smitten. Her heavy lidded eyes are so lovely! She has such a unique look.

5. It depends really,
      for the most part I like open eyes more but there are exceptions.
      Half-closed eyes can add more tot he personality of the doll,
      depending on the character it can work to make them look more adorable, alluring, or menacing which is awesome.

6. I really like them, although I don't own one yet.

7. I love sleepy dolls.

8. I find this thread really interesting after reading through member opinions on closed-eye/sleeping dolls, because I have the exact opposite reaction. To me, heavy-lidded unmoving eyes (and parted lips/open mouth) look far more dead than closed eyes (and closed mouth). This isn't necessarily a BAD thing, coming from an anatomist who loves the uncanny valley aesthetic, but it's interesting to see how different people's perceptions of 'life' vs 'death' can be.

9. As many people said, it's really depends on the sculpt. Usually I prefer open-eyes but half-lid eyes could be very attractive on some doll.

10. Romance sculpts can be very striking when done well. I own a Luts Carmine (romance version) and think his expression is lovely.

I do think eyes bring dolls to life, so I like the eyes to be at least partially visible.

11. I tend to be drawn to dreamy eyed sculpts. I have 4 right now. It is hard to find eyes that will show though. Most of my dolls have open eyes.

12. I love half closed eyed sculpts! Have so many of them in my collection, think over half of them or more. Never liked that wide eyed look, looked too unnatural to me to be appealing. I don't mind it much when it comes to MSD and smaller, but for SD it's just a no from me. That's unless it's a more realistic looking sculpt, then I'm all game for both OE and SE.

13. My boy is between half lidded and open eyed. He looks so relaxed. I just love it!

14. It's definitely the sculpt for me, even if I tend to go for open-eyed sculpts more often! One example I immediately think of is the LLT Roderich. I'm obsessed with the regular version (with half-lidded eyes), but the open-eyed version doesn't do much for me at all. :XD:

15. About LLT Roderich, do you know why his OE version is cheaper than the half lidded eyes by almost $200?

I am always biased towards dreamy eyes!!!! If Not, I wouldn't have ordered DZ's Apsara.
      Whenever I check SOOM Gem website, I ask myself what type of people chose the Open Eye version over the dreamy options, because in my head, the half lidded eyes clearly make the sculpt better.
      When the dreamy eyes are coupled with full, half open lips; it hits the sweet spot. When models take photos, they usually half close their eyes and half open their lips, so there must some sort of logic behind why that expression is attractive.

16. @TanHands OE Roderich is the more expensive one because he's limited, I believe. Same with Isidore. Those two went for the same price compared to the cheaper Roderich, Lazuli and Neil :)

I see your points re models in photos. Now I can't unsee it :XD:

17. Oops, I said cheaper but it's actually more expensive XD I like the Roderich smirk on OE, I wish I could mix the smirk+dreamy eyes. Though he does seem to have a slight smirk originally too.

18. It definitely depends on the character for me. I'm very hardcore into photography for my dolls, so I'd only buy a half-lidded sculpt if I thought it would fit the character and photographs that I want to take. Most of the dolls that I plan on purchasing have open eyes, though. I don't think that I have any half-lidded ones on my wishlist... I'd be willing to purchase one if I thought it would fit the character, though!

19. I way prefer open eyed doll. I like being able to see more of whatever eyes the doll has.

20. I prefer narrow eyes shapes in most cases, the narrower the eyes the better. I even modified a few of my heads to have narrower/smaller eyes. However, I prefer when the eyes are actually narrow, rather than having "semi-closed" looking eyes, or heavy lids instead of just narrow eye shapes. Like they are just sleepy instead of just having narrow-shaped eyes. Having said that, I also like head sculpts with fully closed eyes, but only own one because most of the dolls I own never had options for more eye shape-styles or the other styles were limited and I wasn't able to get them. It happened once to me, SoulDoll released a half-lidded version of one of the dolls I own from them, but it was released for a very limited time before it was discontinued and they didn't sell the head separately. I was a poor college student back then, so I wasn't able to afford the whole doll, and they refused to sell me just the head. DX