1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Hands, Jointed or Set?

Aug 4, 2010

1. I like both, and I think jointed hands are a good investment. All of my dolls are Volks, and the company does provide a wide array of hand positions to use. I like set hands for their form and appearance, since I switch hands for photoshoots, depending on what poses my dolls will be using. I also own a couple of Soom jointed hands. I do have more fun with jointed hands, since they're so much more expressive, where I can have my dolls give a peace-sign, devil-horns sign, or even the middle finger.

Also, thank you so much for the link to the jointed claw hands! I'll have to put these on my wishlist!

2. for a long time I hated jointed hands, lately i am changing my mind and have a pair of the ones in the op ordered now. Most of my dolls will keep their ordinary ones, but that one doll is a swordsman and warrior so he needs to be able to grip swords, and his armored hands will be perfect

3. I got the jointed claw hands since they will make perfect armored fingers for my doll. I slapped them on a Soom Super Gem and the effect was...just ok. For $130 I'm not sure if it's worth it yet. I'm going to paint mine black and gold to be more like armor (they are natural skin color) and then cover the joint with the sleeve of the long gloves that my character wears. The join is a horrific fit for my Super Gem though, and is probably going to ruin her body's wrist joint socket. What I'm kind of confused about is that they are strung REALLY tight, and the fingers can either curl or lock stick straight. There's not much posing I can achieve with them aside from these two basic features. That kind of defeats the purpose of the whole jointed hand thing. Overall the jury is still out =/

Hope this helps.

4. I like sculpted option hands, with different poses. The jointed hands/claws/etc. are very cool, but I don't like the skeleton-hand look for my dolls.
      (Besides, I once played with a first-generation pair of Soom jointed hands on my friend's Mecha Angel, and it's like those hands are constantly trying to fall off & get away from him!)

I love the delicate sculpture & realism of some of these dolls' hands, & the joints disrupt their gestures too much. Especially on a doll whose hands are expertly blushed & manicured-- like the paintjob The Dragon did for my SchoolHead A, or like my Iplehouse Noctarcana guys-- they've got blushed knuckles, cuticles, pinkish nailbeds, paler pink half-moons at the base of each nail, little blue-tinted veins, and teeny-tiny-hairline white ends of each fingernail itself. It knocks me out! If the hands were jointed, I'd never be able to see past that.

The way I choose is = whichever hands come with the doll I'm buying. You don't always get options! But, if there are option parts available in the correct size & color, then I'll buy them just to have. I like being able to change a hand into a fist, for dramatic effect in a photostory, or a spread-open waving hand so they can play rock-paper-scissors. ^^ But I don't get the opportunity that often. Most of the time I'm just happy with the default hand-poses, & work with them for my photos.

5. I rather the "DikaDoll Jointed hands" for my dolls, first of all I love jointed hands and second, they are more affordable than the limited jointed hands like the ones from SOOM or DollZone...:sweat

6. I can't believe I'm saying this -- since I love super posable dolls -- but I too prefer non-jointed hands. They are just so beautiful and a doll's hands are always one of my favorite parts of the sculpt aside from the face, as they are rarely covered and are usually in plain sight however the doll is posed. Besides that, jointed hands a) are expensive and b) tend to be rather "fiddly", and I have notoriously low tolerance for fiddly doll joints.

Ideally, I'd prefer a doll with many easily changeable pairs of hands to choose from, like Fairyland does has for most of their doll lines! <3 But most companies don't have such options, so I content myself with whatever is available with the doll. Generally speaking, if the head and the body sculpt are fine quality and are to my liking, the hands will be nice enough for me too. ^^

7. I think the jointed hands look a little creepy to me..I'm not sure why. xD It takes a lot to creep me out, especially doll wise. I think normal hands are beautiful, so they're just..a bit..different. They would be cool to have, but I wouldn't be willing to spend so much on them.

8. I love jointed hands and I'd love for all of my dolls to have them but the only problem is that I'm only going to have one SD, the rest will be minis and tinies. And I'd yet to see jointed hands that would fit even a normal delf, let alone minis or tinies. If anyone makes jointed hands small enough for a minifee, I will love them forever. But until them I'm going to stick to millions of hands per doll.

9. dikadoll i think came out with msd hands. and the artist who does the bunko doll started on yo sized ones. :)

10. I haven't had an opportunity to play with jointed hands yet, but for me I think it depends on the doll. ^_^; For MOST of mine, I think I prefer set hands, because aesthetically I feel like all the little finger joints are a turn-off. Functionally, though, I have a few upcoming dolls that carry weapons, so having moving fingers would open up a whole new range of photo ups for them. I'm pretty sure I'll end up with a pair, at the very least for the Hong I'm saving up for.

11. There's a couple of dolls I have that I want jointed hands for -- I just haven't been able to come up with the money yet. With Cait I want her to be able to hold things more easily so I don't have to tie things to her hands for photoshoots. And I never was happy with Lorry's hands -- his fingers are spread too far apart to easily hold a cigarette and they look too stiffish. I like the idea of having hands that can hold different poses -- the extra flexibility for photoshoots/stories would be really nice.

12. Jointed hands may save cash in the long run, since you only need one pair, and that one pair can do everything and more in terms of pose ability. However, they aren't that great to look at. They kind of have that 'skeleton-look' due to the joints. Maybe if they make the joints less visible, or something, I'd like them more. And for now, I think I'd stick with one-pose hands.

13. I'm not really a fan of jointed hands. They look really nifty in photos but I can't imagine having to pose every finger to get a natural-looking hand. Not to mention they're expensive. I'd rather put that kind of money towards a new doll or clothing, honestly. s:

Yeah, they're not for me, but I love to see what people come up with for them.

14. I think jointed hands sound much better than set, but if they're clawed like THOSE, then NO WAY! Ewe! lol :p

15. I dislike jointed hands. Every model I've seen so far has had highly visible, in your face joints that are unnatural looking and detract from the overall aesthetic I like to maintain with my lot. It would be nice to have a jointed affect without the unrealistic appearance, (like say, just a non-resin hand that's wired inside and can bend, but that might be off topic, even if the rest of the doll were resin) but until a more attractive version is offered, I'll stick with fixed hands.

16. I don't own a joint hand as yet and I am looking into the possibility of owning one in the future. Aesthetically though, I prefer the non-joint normal looking hands (in natural pose) because it looks natural and more human-like. However, a jointed hand offers more flexibility and the only purpose I am getting it for would be to pose on my doll and learn how to draw >__<

17. I love the idea of jointed hands and one day I'll definitely get a few for my dolls. The only downside, that some of my dolls have such beautiful hands that I would miss the gorgeous sculpting...and some has to hold guns, which I doubt a jointed hand could without wiring. So I think I'll always have solid hands...but playing with a pair of jointed ones...oh, even if they are just sitting there by themselves on my shelf it's great fun :lol:

18. I like both types. What I like about the set hands, is how realistic they are.
      Because the joints are so visible on jointed hands, they become less realistic to me.
      What I like about the jointed hands, is how expressive they are. You can pose them in almost any way humans can move their hands. I guess they must be a real pain to string/restring though... Such tiny things D:

19. I might just save up for the claw hands anyway. Some of what I hear I really like. See, the whole point for this one character is creepy/skeleton/monster look. I just have to find a gaunt/lanky body and gaunt face sculpt and I'd have him. But...I am afraid there's nothing like that so I'll have to settle for something with elf's ears.

I wonder if hands can be restrung like the doll itself, so if it comes too loose/tight it can be fixed? I'd expect we'd need some sort of special tools for that though.

20. Ok, I'll bite. The proponents posting here convinced me to at least try jointed hands out. I've seen references to Dikadoll and Dollzone through searching. What other companies make them?