1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Hands, Jointed or Set?

Aug 4, 2010

1. Personally I like set hands. I think they're more realistic and easier to get.
      But, I have one character I plan to make into a doll who is a puppet, and I hope to have jointed hands for her...

2. While I'll admit, jointed hands can be very functional, they are not pleasing to me aesthetically. I find that the joint lines bother me a great deal. I'm content with just buying different pairs of hands for different purposes.

3. I have to agree on the Ascetic principal. Even while Jointed hands would be useful for photo stories, personally I do not like how a majority of them look. I do love joints, but seeing all of the movement with the jointed hands would just seem odd to me. I personally prefer seeing the smoother surfaces of their none jointed fingers. ;;

4. Those claw hands are AMAZING. I really love the look of jointed hands in general. They seem so elegant and despite the more realistic function idea, the little ball joints give it an even more doll-like appearance, which I love.

Sadly my girls are more childish styled dolls and I haven’t found a pair yet that would “match” that. If I ever see them though, I would be ever so tempted!

5. I like both kinds of hands.
      Set hands to me are more beautiful- if they're well sculpted anyway- than jointed hands, but they can be pretty limiting. For example, I have a tan Dollmore kid and while I love his hands and his colour, Dollmore doesn't sell any of their extra hands in tan, so he's pretty stuck with what he has. I love how other companies like Fairyland offer a variety of hands, so I can have fun with different hand positions and still have the smooth, beautiful look of set hands.
      The one thing I dislike though, is when you have a fist or another very specific pose (like the V or thumbs up, etc) and the company doesn't offer any other kinds of hands.

Recently though I bought a pair of the dikadoll jointed hands for my AoD boy (I got the ver. 2 ones with the veins <3) and after playing with them a while? I've discovered they do have their own beauty- and plus they're just a lot of fun! I loved his original set hands, but I love these new ones too. I don't feel limited anymore and, after a quick blushing, they suit him pretty well.
      It helps I'm not bothered by things like joint lines, haha
      I plan in switching between his new and old hands every so often, but for now I'm really enjoying seeing and playing with him as he rocks his jointed hands :lol:

6. I don't like the look of jointed hands. D: They're pretty awkward, and all of those joints give them an alien look. To me, they seem very strange on the end of the arms.
      Of course, it doesn't help any that I've seen several pictures of awkward posing and really ugly blushing, which just turns me off from them even more.

..that said, I do like the look of those claw hands. But they're not meant to look human, now are they? ;P

7. I like the posability of jointed hands, but I do not like the way they look at all. If someone could make some that were posable, but had a "skin" or covering or something, I might consider something like that, but I don't like the skeletal look of the current ones available. For now, I'll stick with having a bunch of different hands and changing them out for different looks. .^^ That companies are making hands attached with magnets makes that super easy anyway.

8. I think that jointed hands are an acquired taste for the most part. I used to hate them and wonder why anyone would want them on their doll, but I slowly started to like them and appreciate their beauty, especially the Soom ones. Now I just love them, not only their increased functionality, but how they look as well. I'll be buying my first pair soon. The doll I'll be getting them for also wears gloves, so I'd be able to hide the joints if I want realism.

Heck, if I somehow end up hating them, (which I'm sure I won't) I'll use them for drawing practice! They're certainly nicer-looking than those wooden ones you find at art supply stores.

9. i have a pair of jointed hands for my MSD and since putting them on him, his range of expression has increased dramatically!!! they may not be pleasing to everybody but to me, a person that LOVES alot of joints and posability (i'm looking at you DSAM 35 body <3) they are wonderful and truly a joy to own.

that being said i also like set hands but with my particular MSD jointed worked out better due to limited selection of set hands in his resin shade.

10. I like set hands but one of the aspects I love about BDJs is their wonderful poseability...hence why I have been after a pair of jointed hands for while and will finally have a pair when I've paid off my AS Rone I currently have on Layaway as I've ordered a matching sun-tanned resin set along with him. Hence, if anyone's after pics of the larger Angell-Studio jointed hands, I'll make sure to post up lots of pics when my Rone finally arrives.
      For me, as far as hands are concerned when it comes to expression and identity, a person's hands can tell you a lot about them as an individual. I also like the aesthetic of the joints as to me the joints express the mechanism of their poseability, much like the bones, joints and connective tissue in a real human hand, and greatly admire the craftsmanship that's therefore gone in to producing them so that they pose just so, much like a miniature detailed version of the life-size or oversized jointed wooden artist's study hands you see. I find it intriguing that some people are almost repulsed by them as for me they are something beautiful but possibly it is for the very same reason that I love them, the fact that they hint at the internal workings of the human hand, and I can understand how some might find that a little macabre.

11. I'm in the group with reservations on the aesthetics. It's funny how you can ignore a lot of joint gaps at some points on the bodies (shoulders, e.g.), but really have issues with other joints. I'm very particular about elbow joints too. Some new designs are supposed to be more advanced, but I can't get past the look. However, with the hands, if it was a character who wears gloves all the time, I could deal with it.

In addition, there are so many owners of jointed-finger hands who are not referencing real hand poses, and who put the digits (oy, the thumbs too!) in very odd or even painful-looking poses that are very distracting and unflattering. Not a good recommendation for those hands!

12. All my dolls have set hands, the ones that they came with. I don't even have any extra hands. Usually I can work around awkward hand poses when doing a shoot (the infamous Luts DES hands are a little harder to make appear natural though^^;; ). I'm picky about details on my dolls, which is why I didn't like jointed hands that much, at least the ones with too limited thumb movement and stringholes visible on the knuckles visible when the hand is in fist position. When the hands are otherwise beautifully and detailedly scuplted, I love them (here's looking at you, Soom, DZ and Spiritdoll<3). although all my current dolls have set hands and will stay that way, I have a group of dolls planned that will get jointed hands, mostly because they'll need to be able to hold weapons and other things in their hands. They will all be wearing gloves though^^;;.

13. It's actually the AESTHETICS of the jointed hands that draw me so strongly towards them! For me, it's all about the articulation and the hands continue the theme of articulated joints - especially with the Dollshe DSAM bodies!

14. Out of the ones i own, I prefer Soom, but Dollzone I feel are nicer than Dikadoll's.
      I also find they are better when wired, and hold poses better that way.

15. I know I posted before, but just recently I got jointed hands for two of my dolls, and really love them. They're so expressive and offer so much flexibility--my girl can now play the fiddle and hold a gun without having to tie stuff to her hands. I don't find their look distracting as the joints fall in places where the human fingers are boniest and wrinkliest anyway.

16. I like set hands - they're so elegant, tender, beautiful. I think, hands are one of the most important parts of human body. That is why this means to me a lot.

17. I would love to have jointed hands but the price. . . it kills me. Also, I find that these jointed hands are usually on the large side. I have AoD girls so I don't think they are compatible.

18. Those claw hands are cool!

I think all types of hands have a place, but I haven't ventured into anything but what is given with the doll so far. I have to worry about buying dolls and clothes right now. Later, I can focus on the extras like jointed or extra posing hands.

19. I thought I would like jointed hands but having got some they are royal pain! They are too loosely strung and are always twiddled round the wrong way looking like my doll has been part of a torture session or something.

They area good match for DZ creamy resin (mine are dikadoll) and not bad for MSD size. The joints are quite small and the sculpting is good...restringing or tightening would be a nightmare.

I think I will have to make them up to be disembodied hands like "thing" from the adams family or sell them.

20. Both. Well, jointed hands are awesome we can't deny. Our dolls would be able to hold something and make hand signs etc.
      But really, those joints kina put me off at times... I'll probably get 2 types...