1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Hands, Jointed or Set?

Aug 4, 2010

1. I have mostly set hands but am trying out Soom's jointed hands and AS 70+ jointed hands for some of my boys. I like the idea of them being able to make hand signs...and play guitar in Zarconus' case (Soom IO)...But, I have not put the Soom hands together yet, and they look kind of hard to do..sooo we shall see what happens when they are together ;)

2. I'm on the fence about the jointed hands. At first I wasn't keen on them, I found them too distracting in photographs of dolls wearing them, like they dominated the image, somehow. Perhaps because they were so unusual to look at at first?

I do think they're cool, but I'm not up for owning any. I really like solid resin. I like solid, one-piece torsos. I like solid hands... I enjoy the challenge and the creativity involved to make the solid hands "act", and I like their simplicity.

3. Set hands... no matter how many jointed hands I've seen, they still look awkward to me and seem to be inconsistent with the rest of the doll... :sweat

4. The joints in the hands aren't really aesthetically pleasing compared to set hands, but I have to say that I love the practicality of them. While they may cost $100+, it's still cheaper in the long run to get them instead of a large variety of set hands.

5. I like the idea of being able to pose hands...
      but
      aesthetically, I don't like seeing all those joints! They still look too noticeable to me. Maybe because there are fewer of them around and I'm not used to the look? But, still... I like the smoother look of non-jointed hands.
      plus!
      I am very lazy and impatient about posing, so I know that making sure all the fingers are in the right position would just be WAY too much for me! I fuss enough with head angle and flyaway hair as it is! Fussing with jointed hands would just drive me crazy... (well, MORE crazy, anyway...) *_*

6. I like the idea of poseable hands, but I don't care for the divisions of jointed hands. I also know that I am very bad at coming up with and replicating realistic hand poses. I stick with "normal" hands. I'd like to own more sets, to have different poses, but they haven't yet been in stock when I've been willing to make the purchase.

7. I do plan to order some jointed hands in the future but only after I get the right doll.

8. If anyone ever comes out with Yo-sized jointed hands I may give them a go, resin-colour and looks depending. However, considering how small they'd have to be.... You'd have to re-string them with fishing line and manicure tweezers!

I do have to say, I probably prefer non-jointed hands simply because I think they're more pleasing aesthetically. Jointed hands would certainly save the headache of trying to find hands in different positions!

9. I prefer set hands.
      When it comes to my dolls aesthetics are most important and other than the overly fantasy esque clawed hands (that i don't know what i'd do with) i find the look of jointed hands very off putting.
      to me it reminds me of how our own hands would look if we apoxied them and blushed them without skin to take a similar shape of what they should be.
      Unless they come out with a slender elegant jointed hand thats pretty enough to entice me, i'm 100% sure i will never have a pair for my dolls.

10. Right now I am only interested in a pair of jointed hands for one of my dolls, the rest is fine with their set hands.
      I cannot exactly say that I find the latter aesthetically more pleasing though. Dolls are dolls, they come with joints. I couldn't care less, how many.

11. You can always cover them with gloves....I just did a shoot with my LW Mihael, and I'm SO glad he was wearing his Dollzone jointed hands....He managed to hold a mask, a lantern,and a really heavy skull...so I'm very pleased.

12. I have set hands and jointed hands. And I perfer jointed hands, I love the look and feel of them. I plan on buying another pair of jointed hands for one of my other boys.

Sadly, I can't get jointed hands for my girls since they are both tanned. ;-;

13. Maybe they could be airbrushed or blushed to match the body though?

14. Angell-Studios can do tanned hands - I know as the jointed hands I ordered for my sun-tanned resin Rone are also in the same sun-tanned resin as he is. However, whether their colour is in the right tan and style for what you're after would be the question.

15. I actually really prefer the way jointed hands look, but I'm too much of a retard to go around and try to put parts together at the moment. x3

16. When I first saw jointed hands I was abit weirded out by them, but after seeing them more I became use to them and came to love how amazingly expressive they are. Body language is a huge part of how we talk and they can really add that extra bit of feeling. I would love to get a set for my MSD boy for photoshoots and things and then also some normal hands for regular hanging around and play.

17. I prefer set hands. They look a bit more real and very graceful. It would be fun to be able to move their fingers and have them hold things, point, etc. but I just don't really like the look of the joints... And I'd rather not pay 100+ for something I wouldn't absolutely love.

18. It's a personal preference of course, but I really do not like the way jointed hands look.
      I prefer set hands with a little bit of a natural bend to the fingers, all the way to curled in an almost fist.
      I am very picky with them too. I will hybridize a body and head if I don't like the company's hands. :sweat Maybe it's not saving me money over jointed hands, but again it's all an aesthetic preference.

19. I actually just bought a set of MSD-sized jointed hands from DikaDoll's ebay distributer (I forget the seller's name, but you can find it on DikaDoll's web site). I got it in white, because my doll is tanned, and I already knew I was going to simply have my friend simply airbrush the hands to match her skin tone, close enough for jazz. They even have the option of long nails and short nails for girls in MSD size, and they look pretty good. Next quarter, I'm going to buy a set for my resin boy coming in.

I actually LIKE the fact that I can see the joints in the hands, as my dolls are also doubling as models for my artowrk, and as is typical in the world of figure drawing, hands have always been troublesome for me to draw. Hence, seeing all the joints in such a manner will actually force me to see how the hand is constructed, which will help me to properly draw them.

Furthermore, jointed hands, when I discovered them, struck me as something like the ultimate gift from the toy gods, as they're like this uber upgrade from the kung fu grip! (Those friends I have who collect action figures were actually both jealous and awestruck when I told them about the jointed hands coming in!) Now, my dolly can hold guns, knives, swords, or any other weapon, no matter its shape and grip, and be ready for action! Beholders and evil outsiders, beware, for my dolly will finally have... FISTS of JUSTICE! Eh, can you tell I'm excited? hehe

PS--

The ebay distributor for DikaDoll currently has a special where, if you spend at least $50, you get two free sets of acrylic eyes. $100, three pairs. So, if you're looking for jointed hands and also need eyes...

20. I would probably only get jointed hands for an SD-sized doll .. not sure why though xD