1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Happy with less

Sep 13, 2007

1. I swore just one.....now I have two lol and wrestling with the idea of getting a third. Two can be a handful sometimes as it is! :sweat

2. I want my resin army! :XD: Though I'll probably only end up getting four of five big dolls and then just get Bluefairy dolls from then on. Of course new dolls come out all the time, and I might fall in love and decide to get more. Dolls are a dangerous hobby for the wallet...

3. I'm... quite happy as I am. With 1 doll. But I felt for another one and he's already ordered.
      But... I feel I OK as I am, 1 is good, 2 is also good 5,000 is equally good. XD

I guess, I just don't care. Whatever happens, happens.

4. I have found out that I cant have more than four dolls at once. For a while I had five, and everything went nuts. I ended up selling three of them. Even though they were very important to me, and especially David who was my dream sculpt, they just didnt spark my fire anymore. Maybe I'll get one doll to replace the three, since three dolls felt the best for me.

I'd say I'm a hobbyist aswell, doing stuff with my dolls is more important to me than getting more of them.

5. Interesting thread ^^
      Though I really like to look at other peoples large doll families, personally, I'm happy with less ^__^ The most I had at any one time was 5. (If I kept ALL the dolls that went in and out of my home, it'd be more XD) At that time, I realized 5 was kind of pushing my limits. I ended up rethinking my crew and selling a few dolls. I'm not saying, I wouldn't have 5 again. If I had money enough for a fifth, I might be tempted to do it ^^; But I'm really happy right now with my current crew. :)

6. I wish I had the self control to say "Only X Amount" lol :sweat I find thought that Im the kind of collector who has to be constantly expanding my collection. It may get to the point where I am trading in some to get others, but for me there is a joy in knowing the next big goal is still out there ^.^
      Of course there is also a lot of fun to be had in other aspects of this hobby, such as creating and buying fabulous outfits for your dolls to wear, which help keep my collection in flux without constantly buying new dolls.
      I came from a generation of pokemon fanatics where the theme was "Gotta catch em all", lol, and I guess that is my feeling with a lot of my hobbies. Of course I understand that in this hobby you cant have them ALL O.o lmao
      There may come a day when I find that the number of lovelies I have is enough, but to be honest with myself, today is not that day.
      I have a lot of respect for people who can say they've had enough. Not because I think you should have less though. I think you should do what feels right, and if having a smaller number makes you feel right, you shouldnt feel pressured that you need to have a huge collection. Having just one of these dolls is incredibly special and when you have enough, its enough!

7. Currently, I don't have much choice but to be happy with less since i don't want to mooch off my parents' money, they won't let me have anymore and I gotta budget since they're even more expensive in Philippine Peso... but one day I think I'd like 3 or 4 more? All SD sized though... My little boy coming in is an MSD, and I think after that I'm all for SDs. ^^ But for now, I'll spoil my only boy =)

8. I wish I could stop myself and stick to my plans of "no more than X!" However, I know myself well enough to realize that I'll probably end up with a resin horde. I have seven dolls already, I want to get a girl doll in the future, and there are three boy dolls on my wishlist. I could easily see myself having fifteen or more in the years to come. I'm hoping I can at least slow down now, though, and spoil my current ones for a little while with clothes and shoes and other goodies. (*cough* And spoil myself for a little while. :sweat )

9. I get easily overwhelmed, so less is better for me, too.

Truth be told, I've always been extremely envious of those owners with one doll. I would love love love to have one doll, but I'm already very attached to the ones I have. Letting go of the few was tough enough, and I don't think that I could pare it down any further.

Having one doll... I wish I could be a one doll owner. ~__~;

10. I also like to have only a few dolls leaves more money and time to spend on my boy and gals. Althought there are so many pwetty dolls out there I don't wanna have more than 5. I might make an exception for tiny BJD's since they don't take much space. But with the big BJD's I don't think I would want too many I don't think I'll be able to give them all enough attention and care.
      But this is how I feel now but there was a time I wanted everything pretty hahaha. I have a boy right now I don't ever wanna sell and a girl with the most gorgeous face-up that I'll never wanna part with and I've got a tan Volks girl who still needs a proper face-up. And I really want and Unon which brings me up on the 4 doll list which is bad since I've seen a couple more dolls I would definitely would ike to adopt!
      >_< eeekk!!

11. I would be content with only a handful of dolls (4 or 5). The pricing issue keeps me from amassing an army, and also the fact that I have a hard time finding clothing for most of the dolls I'm interesting in. If the companies start producing more smaller dolls (tinies), I may be in trouble, but as for right now, I'm happy with a smaller collection.

12. I agree with Maketa; the price issues is what keeps me to wanting only one. But there's a new girl on the block who's caught my eye. Her captivating beauty and realism is questioning my desire for the first. But no matter how much I look at the other doll, that first one is going to be my bigger goal. :)
      Plus, if I had two, there'd be a chance that I'd do the unthinkable.

NEGLECT HER. :o

I would NEVER want to neglect a §600/§300 doll. I already have two characters from a story I'm writing. If I'm lucky (and if they still captivate me), by the time I attain enough moolah, I can install the characters into the doll's faces. But on the other hand, my 15-year-old sister would have a doll to play with when she wants to play dolls with me. Shut up, I know it's not normal. :x

On another note, my parents think it's silly to pay that much for a doll. Though I know inside that if they were §15, my mom would buy me one in a heartbeat. >:3

13. I want a resin army ^_^;; More minions is better. I think I'm just a sucker for a pretty boy, really. I keep trying to cut back the collection, but it's not working very well.

I have noticed that I tend to fixate on a small group though, usually less than 4 at a time. The core group rotates through the collection, with different ones coming in and out of favor.

14. Collecting is "in the blood". You either have that need or you don't, and those who don't could be quite happy with just one doll or two. But those of us who have that need (and you know who you are, because you will invaribly have other collections in your home as well) will need a larger amount to be satisfied. Be it fueled by the "thrill of the hunt" or the passion to fully experience a certain range of this hobby or a smaller, individual expression of it, we will feel compelled to collect to that exact point. Some people will never stop collecting and just recycle their dolls over and over, selling ones and buying new ones. Others will reach that perfect amount for their desired self-expression and then be able to stop. Fortunately, I'm part of this final group, so I've been able to tell myself that the magic number for me is 10. I've bought and sold and tweaked my numbers as I learned more about this hobby and what it is I truly want and can best interact with (as most of us do.) And eventually found myself with a crew of 8...4 SDs and 4 MSDs. This is a number I can comfortably "play" with that serves all the aspects of my personal creative needs. And they sort of fall into "groupings" for me rather than one big crew. 2 SDs are Hero-types as in fantasy cartoon or video game type characters, 2 SDs are fashion types from my romanticised past, and the 4 MSDs are "children in the attic types" for reflecting the more normal aspects of current life. So I love them all equally:aheartbea and they all get played with depending upon what aspect of my personality I want to interact with at any given moment. Those of you who are having difficulty interacting with your large crew and feeling quite guilty about it might try this method of catagorizing them into smaller units of self expression. It really helps you not to feel so overwhelmed.:) If you later find that any specific "unit" is not getting enough attention, then it will be easy to see that it's one that can be comfortably deleted.

15. *pffft* EVERYBODY says they can just start out with one. Surrrre.... :lol:

I am a collector too, but a finite collector. I collect things savagely until I realize that I'm once again at critical mass, regarding the space left in the apartment. ;; At which point I settle down and taper off. It's happened many times before with many hobbies, and it's happened now. But it's not about how many dolls I own, it's about getting the ones that I really truly want. Since I only buy for True Love, my conscience is clear when I hear needling little comments about 'owning too many' or 'less is more' or 'but how do you manage to love all of them?' :roll: I don't believe in being made to feel guilty about owning anything. Guilt is a waste of time.

My resin army is 15 men strong, and I feel that this is a nicely-contained and cohesive unit. Everybody gets adored in their own turn, they all fit [just] onto one tabletop, and I'm happy with my collection being the size & shape it is right now. (But we'll just see how long that lasts! Time to grow another room on the apartment, just in case Volks puts the SD17 body into FCS....)

16. I dont plan to have many dolls, cuz, I cant give loving with too many dolls. I know I will be bias with the clothings, pictures and their props. I love taking pictures of my dolls, and enjoys them having limited stuffs or stuffs that other people dont particularly have anything similar to them. Not being a rich person also one of the reason I must be happy with the least amount I could get. But, yeah. I think I enjoy my dolls having lots of stuffs (clothings, jewelleries, props, etc) for them rather then having a lot of dolls with much lackings of items for them here and there. lolx.

17. I seem to be really happy with 4 dolls, all 60cm, 2 boys and 2 girls. I bought them all from 6/05 to 7/06, so I thought I might be a ravenous collector. But I seem to be really happy with 4 dolls. I have a big crush on the DOT boys, but they just won't fit in my doll family. I really enjoy being able to spend my time on the dolls I have; making them clothes, finding the "perfect" eyes and wigs, posting about them on the web ;) I don't see myself getting more dolls, I really think I have the perfect amount.
      Susan

18. Before buying my first doll, Heine, I had very clear in my mind that I would have three dolls: Heine, Fuji and Sarah.

It has been almost two years from when I first started saving for Heine and also made that decision. I can say that I will have three dolls, and I am very happy with just three. I don't need anymore dolls to have fun with mine and with the hobby.

19. The more I thought about it the more I realized that I'm absolutely happy with the one doll I have so far. El is definitely the perfect mold for me. I'm not even sure I'll be keeping my Chiwoo head ;-;

I'm just not sure what I'll be doing with an other doll...especially an other boy doll right now. I'm not going to rule out the possibility of owning a girl doll in the future or even an other boy doll...maybe, but right now I pretty happy giving all the attention to Cicero. Hey, less shoes and wigs to buy! lol

20. this is slightly strange but lately the 'want' factor has died down. Nowadays i spend my time in the companies websites looking for clothes for Cain and Rae instead of oogling over the dolls there.

I still want the ones on my list. I've actually cut my list down to 3/4 more (if i have my way and no debt to the government for University there is a grand total of 21 dolls on my list ). So hopefully next year i can convince my mum to allow me to get another one, Shine is sooooo going to be in my house! Even if i have to sneak him in a piece at a time.

But really i had a mad desire to order a body about 3 weeks after El arrived. Now i'm just enjoying his arrival, and spending it divided between my boys. I don't know, a army will never appear in my house simply due to money, space and time. Money isn't a huge problem, it's just i don't want to spend all my money on dolls and not accessories. Cain is going to be spoilt tho i just know it.