1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Has a particular doll sculpt ever scared you or creeped you out?

Dec 22, 2016

1. I find the Volks MSD F-12 deeply unsettling.
      Those circular, staring eyes combined with the thin-lipped smile...

Also, to me, Luts/Fairyland "Lishe" has a really uncanny expression.
      Her eyes and lips are shaped like a Duchenne smile, but they're not positioned on the face like one, nor are the face muscles. So it comes across as someone trying (and failing) to imitate a genuine smile... like a psychopath trying to gain your trust. O_o

#61 Doll-Mage, Jan 17, 2017
      Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    2. Reading all these mentions of Nefer Kane Kameko I told myself "I should definitely not look that up, nope". And then of course I got bored sitting at the bus stop... Why do I never listen to myself?

#62 eland, Jan 18, 2017
      Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    3. That Nefer Kane doll...ugh , can't even talk about it..

4. Funny, I like all the dolls mentioned in this thread- even the weird little DZ corpse kids are sort of fascinating in their own right. The only sculpts that spring to mind as being on my do-not-want-list are from Ringdoll's Infamous line. Zombie Sol, Kane, and Amy are a little too icky for my taste. Though I appreciate the artistry it took to make them, I wouldn't want them on my doll shelf!

5. I'm pretty much okay with any level of gore, disproportionately skinny/elongated, multi-eyed, and trypophobia dolls, and would actually love to have one, but there's not really many out there that I think are very well done (though some are nicely done)

Must confess though, "baby" dolls and anything anthro beyond ears and tail kind of gives me the heebee jeebees. I don't even like 95% of 1/6th dolls just because of the "baby" factor. I'm okay with child-like sculpts, but I just can't do the infantile cherub-likes. Luts' Kid Zuzu Delf Corni is probably the most anthro thing I would even consider, and I don't like centaur dolls much either as an extension of that. Really fear for the day when I start seeing dogtaurs and such.

I get off to trypophobia though. I'm kinda sad that the Nefer Kane Kameko one is practically one of the only ones out there because it's only really meh as far as "trigger factor" goes and I'm not really a fan of their basic sculpt aesthetics. If I were more competent, I would attempt a mod, but maybe I should just buy a random head and commission one or something, if I could even find someone both willing and able, which really seems like a longshot in this hobby.

6. The DiM Miso sculpt is unsettling, yes, but I slightly like that. If I can say so myself, hahaha. And to be honest, I find most Fairyland sculpts a little creepy. However, I only find them unsettling when they have no faceup or clothes or eyes in. They are beautiful dolls, yes, but their head shape can look so alien. The big eyes, the round head and small jaw... However (again), once their wigs, clothing, faceup, eyes etc are there I find them pretty!

7. I really love dolls and I thought there would never be a doll that is unsettling for me...until I saw the pictures of Fairyland LittleFee Pongpong...
      He isn't really scary but...I always feel there is some sort of madness ^_^ under his laughing face.
      All the other dolls from Fairyland are very pretty...but Pongpong...no...

8. Uh. At the risk of giving the unpopular answer, DC's Elizabeth. I am violently arachnophobic, so while I can academically appreciate the engineering and design of a spider doll, actually seeing one? That's a lot of HELL no for me.

9. Pregnant dolls scare the blither out of me. Even if a doll's just dressed and padded to look pregnant, I get queasy. I can't handle very young ball-jointed babies either. Sexual reproduction among resin beings is too uncanny for me.

I've never minded BJD gore. I'm so amazed by the detail of Ringdoll zombie sculpts that I forget to be grossed out. I'm one of those people who think spiders are cute, so Doll Chateau's Elizabeth doesn't spook me. I like fangs and claws and head sculpts studded with extra eyes. But somehow I fear completely ordinary things!

#69 operadoll, Feb 4, 2017
      Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    10. There was this one sculpt...that I can never find again (I tried)
      It was basically a baby's head with smaller baby heads coming out of its forehead and neck...very uncomfortable to look at (for me at least)

11. I'm not usually prone to Uncanny Valley effects, but dolls with wide open mouths creep me out sometimes, especially if there's a tongue involved. O_o

12. It's been mentioned a few times already, but Ringdoll's Mona irks me! It's pretty and even pretty interesting to look at, but there's something about her that just freaks me out! Doll's with overly realistic sculpts also kind of creep me out as well, I'm just not sure why?

13. The Miss Jia from Dollzone is the creepest doll that I have ever seen. I hate its arms; they are so long and creepy.

14. I'm with you - I've seen a very few DollChateau pictures I like, but most of them rub me all wrong. The spider's moderately creepy, but they have a few centaurs who just. Nope. The facial features, the short back of the horse portion, the super-elongated limbs... and then there's one that instead of having animal-like joints, has four human legs and people feet! And I can't help but imagine it in motion... NOPE.

I guess you could call it uncanny valley, but I don't normally get bothered by that with things that look human. I guess things that look not-quite-animal are worse for me personally. I love other centaur dolls, too, and the extreme proportions of certain other brands don't get me, so it definitely strikes me as odd that those set me off so badly.

...Oh, and don't forget the skeletal centaur from the same company. Brrrr.

That said, they have a cute little winged unicorn with nothing human about her - and she's really sweet.

15. Second to this.

16. You're not alone. There's something that always bugged me about Fairyland, but it wasn't until I saw one in real life when I realized why that was.

Does anyone remember that goth fashion sized line of dolls called Bleeding Edge Goth? Well, Fairyland dolls (msd and sd10/13 anyways) look like bigger, ball jointed versions of those to me. The big eyes, rounded faces, big lips and tiny nose match the aesthetic, as well as how the head rests on top of the neck. Don't get me wrong, I like the Bleeding Edge Goth line, but I don't like bjds that look like big versions of vinyl and plastic fashion dolls. Dolls like Barbie and the Bleeding Edge Goth line have horrendously stylized features that don't translate well to the more realistic proportions of bjds to me( which, yes, are still pretty stylized themselves, but not to the same degreee most of the time).

Probably might also have something to do with my heavy loathing for Barbie growing up. I just find most Fairyland dolls a bit unsettling for the aforementioned reasons.:sweat

17. Okay, wow, quoting my own post because I actually just bought Dollits Miso, who is about as smiley as you can possibly get... She just looks so happy and cute! Over the past few months since I posted here my tastes have really changed! (I have my Carter now, and he's my absolute favorite sculpt ever~)

Now I really can't think of any dolls that freak me out... I mean, there are some whose aesthetics aren't really pleasing to me, but I don't necessarily find them creepy. Though I am getting slightly weirded out by some dolls that have hugely exaggerated hips; though some have really lovely faces and styling and everything, it just kind of confuses my brain. *_*

18. Hm.... I like creepy/scary stuff, so it's hard to say. I guess the Doll Chateau multi-jointed wrists? I think they're kind of cool, but they also make me wince - it's like the limbs have been broken and deliberately set wrong. The Dipper and other spindly-legged Dollzone animal tinies are also offputting to me, though I have seen some very beautifully painted examples.

19. Doll chataeu lol

20. I've yet to find one that really freaks me out. I remember when Doll Chateau released it's K-13 body (the skeleton centaur) and a bunch of people wanted warnings posted about it cause it triggered anorexia/ED thoughts iirc.
      Years later, that body ended up being perfect for Dacchan, because how else was I supposed to shell an Eldrich beast? XD

I do remember someone posting a pic of their dolls that gave me nightmares. They said they hadn't edited the pic in any way, and that it had come off their camera just like that. It was in a thread about haunted dolls. That one pic really freaked me out, like the stomach in your throat, heart racing, cold sweats kind of freak out... *shudders*