1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Has a particular doll sculpt ever scared you or creeped you out?

Dec 22, 2016

1. There was no doll that terrified me....until today. That pregnant Hui Xiang is kind of creepy. It's just the shape of her eyes and her smile. You can make her super freaking creepy if you did some...artistic changes on her.

Thanks for contributing to the nightmare tonight. :XD:

2. I've been noticing a lot of Popovy inspired overly skinny dolls cropping up on social media lately from a variety of different artists, and admittedly...they kind of freak me out. Besides the skin and bones, gaunt appearance, their open-mouth expression reminds of....well, a dried out corpse.
      [​IMG]

Kind of leaves me a bit unsettled to say the least*_*:o:shudder

3. I really don't like a lot of Doll Chateau dolls. They creep me out *_*

4. Not scared, persay, but Dollshe Saint used to give me major uncanny valley. The sculpt looks like me, and to watch its popularity amidst hobbyists has always been unsettling.

5. I do not know why, but I fear Resinsoul.

6. I love a bunch of dolls that people often find creepy! I own a Dollzone Carter (here's mine) and a Dollits Miso (here's mine), both of which I found out about in this thread. :XD: I have a Pipos Cheshire too, which still has the teeth and smile but I think people generally find him less creepy. I just think they're all adorable!

Honestly I can find something cool in almost any sculpt! I love weird and unique sculpts like DC, I love weird sculpts with smiles and frowns and teeth. I honestly think it all comes down to styling for me. I don't think anyone could make a doll scary to me, but definitely uncanny and, well, ugly.

Now, there are some general aesthetics that sort of get to the uncanny valley side for me... I find Mirodoll and Resinsoul sculpts to just be...weird. Even with cool faceups and nice eyes and everything, there's just something off about them to me, like they never really look present, if that makes sense. They seem weirdly blank and the bodies are just on the side of not-realistic that is kind of unsettling to my eyes. Realistic will always be less creepy to me. :sweat

7. This reminds me about my feeling scared of my own doll when I was near them in the evening. They seemed too realistic, so I gradually moved towards less realistic ones. I then got used to dolls altogether and now Im back into liking the more realistic ones.

8. This is going to be more general than aimed at any one particular sculpt....

As a kid and up till my late teens, I had a deep paranoia of having eyes on me (ie.: posters with people staring my direction, figures/dolls with eyes directed my way, etc.). Eventually I managed to overcome this phobia, but in a way I believe it's impacted the kinds of bjds I do and don't particularly like stylistically.

What am I getting at exactly? I've found that I prefer more realistic, narrower eyed bjds—while big-eyed, more anime-like faces just...have this uncanny valley feel to me. I can tolerate certain ones to a degree, but some sculpts with really wide eyes and much smaller facial features in comparison kind of...bug me. Especially very rounded, baby shaped faces. This aesthetic kind of bugs me.

....which is probably one of the reasons why I'm not particularly drawn to 95% of Fairyland and similar style dolls, or dolls that are more baby/child-like in their aesthetic. :shudder

(Also, while I did collect Pullips for a time, I was always more drawn towards their male counterpart much more.)

It's even more unnerving when they have small irises in those huge eye-sockets. Even though I've mostly overcome that paranoia from childhood, some vestiges of it still stick with me. :sweat

9. For me it's not a certain type of doll,
      but personally I get the heebie jeebies from dolls who are open-mouthed.
      To be more specific, open-mouthed dolls who smile and show their teeth.
      I don't know why but they unsettle me.

10. Super realistic dolls weird me out, I am not really a fan!

11. 90% of Dollchateau creeps me out lol even the not as creepy ones lmao. Joking aside, I think I dolls sculpted to look like celebrities are freaky. Something about it turns me off of the them. Especially when not blushed and face upped. I've seen a Taylor Lautner, Tom Hiddleston, Jensen Ackles, and Connor from Cyberlife

12. I saw one doll on instagram a while back that had like 10 eyes in her head and that's a huuuuuge nope nope nope nope. Also the one moon crater doll.
      There's dolls I find ugly, like Popovys, but the only one that creeps me out are those.

13. I know they've been mentioned before, but DZ Moon and Star disturb me a bit. Not that I'm ever 'scared' by dolls, but they do look like the icky, sticky leavings of some completely psychotic serial killer. Also, Spirit Doll's Little Mermaid with her torn out heart is ethereally lovely and downright gory...so yeah, her too, a little.

14. I normally don't really get creeped out or scared by dolls- but DollZone The Moon does make me feel a bit iiick. Not the face, just the body... looks too much like a half eaten zombie corpse :ablah:

#174 Lotte Rotten, Jan 7, 2020
      Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    15. I am not a fan of the Cyclops 'one eyed' dolls I have to say or like Lotte Rotten the Moon half skeleton doll. I don't like horror or Zombie films so I guess this is why. I can see why people love this aesthetic but it is not for me!

16. Spider dolls of any sort creep me out, other than that i can't really think of any.

17. faces sculpted after real people freak me out.

18. Circus Kane Kameko... The eye holes...... So many eye holes :shudder Weirds me out haha

19. I typically like a lot of "creepy" sculpts but Ringdoll's Mona makes me...uncomfortable. And now that I've looked up that pregnant AoD doll that was mentioned, I can add that to the list.

20. Oooh That Moon DZ doll is disgusting!!!! She looks like she was ripped out of her lower body, with her spine showing like that:ablah: She's the only doll I've ever been scared of, because I can't stand anything gory at all. Too bad she is from my favourite company