1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Have pictures ever turned you off from a doll

Jul 17, 2009

1. hmmm hard to say. I've kinda been turned off by the DoD Krill's here (no offence to any owners!) Since I'm located in a "No doll zone" even at the cons I go to I find user pics to be very usefull. For example MNF Shiwoo on the luts site (when they sold MNFs) he was cute but Kinda plain so I was just like "neeeeh" then ohhh then...formerly Sabriell's now Lachlana's Taji took his little heart hands and sqeezed until I gave in...another example would be DOD Si and MNF Ryeon but that's toooooo long a story:sweat

2. Sure, all the time.

But remember if you see a doll on a company website that you just fall in love with, always remember that the doll has the potential to look like.

Owner pictures are dangerous things. When I ordered my CD Nia and HDF Lolly they'd just been released so there were no previous owner pictures of them.
      But a few days before each arrived a few popped up on DOA and it REALLY put me off.
      But then they got here and I just fell in love. They were perfect. ^_^

Don't be too put off by owner pics. Every doll has the potential to look gorgeous. :)

3. I have a BBB Pixie hed on a boy body, and really - the eyes are not that bad at all, imho. What balances them nicely is a lovely, graceful headshape - I can't say enuff good things about the way the line of the jaw comes up to the ear on Pixie. And if you have a truly stunning set of eyes to show off (like my blue Tamiya cat eyes) a Pixie will frame them wonderfully.

I have no idea how I knew Pixie was the head I wanted for that doll - all the pictures I saw were awful, but some kind of 'sixth sense' must have kicked in, and am I ever glad!

Pictures don't phase me much, I guess. I seem to have the ability to look past them and project what the sculpt might be really like. However, I do seem to have trouble 'seeing' a blank hed, if that makes any sense? Without the additional contrast a faceup lends, all the planes on a blnk hed seem to blur out for me - I have an easier time seeing past a faceup than envisioning one from a blank slate.

That said, I prefer the company sites that present their dolls clearly and factually, without dramatic lighting or massive Photoshoppage; I think Pipos and Fairyland are two companies who do a very nice job of keeping the pictures fun to look at, without misleading overembellishment.

4. I try not to be too judgmental of a sculpt until I see it in person, haha.

When you're looking at owner photos you really should look at a lot of them if you're basing your decision /to buy or not to buy/ on it; some people are better photographers, some dolls have better face-ups, plus a lot of other stuff comes into play. But then again, you don't want to completely base it off of company photos either since they generally want to make their product look the best that it can (and sometime their photos are photoshopped or have bad lighting).

5. Yes! When I saw RS Long in company photos I would never have considered purchasing him, but after seeing him in person I found him so amazing that I sold enough of my vinyl dolls and accessories to buy him within a week!

6. when I saw Dollmore Haneol Moon on the site I didnt like him much...then they posted new pictures with a different look on the site and I fell in love and had to buy him!!! I did too! I have seen many dolls that I love that seem not so appealing in peoples picture but in store ones they do, so I think the look that is closes to the one I want is the important one to look at.

7. I was nearly turned off by owner pics of unireal Ark that appeared bald...luckily I still ordered him and love him..

8. It did once. I really wanted (and still do.. xD) a Dollmore Kid Paran girl, but the photos of her were fugly! They put her in a bad wig with weird eyes.
      Then I saw a lovely MSD dress set and a Paran was modelling it and they'd put her in a black wig with nicer eyes, and she looked so much more like how I wanted.
      I think it pays to check out photos of other people's dolls if the site doesn't offer a good range of photos.

9. I totally agree that the company photos don't always do the dolls justice. Which is kinda silly if you think about it... you'd think that the companies would want to show all the best pictures and possible face-ups to get people to buy their dolls. Hmmm :doh
      I almost didn't buy my Soom Super Gem Dia... Her face-up on the site was lacking something, plus the fact that my cousin asked if her pic was a pic of a guy.:|
      BUT I bought her anyway and I'm glad I did!!! I love her:D

10. Not completely turned off yet, but Minifee Marcia. I fell in love with the mold thinking it could make a good pouting but neutral face, but the company face-up, along with most of the ones it has been given by owners look like they're glaring. This is good for certain characters, but not what I was thinking of for it. I have found some ones that capture more of what i'm looking for so I'm keeping up hope that I'll be able to do what i'm thinikng of with it. I think a major part is the eye brows. I need to find a more friendly shape for her.

11. All the time. Company photos, owner photos, actually i generally only like a doll after i've seen it in person if i've never seen owner photos i liked. But then, there's been cases where the photos have mislead and i've ended up buying a doll i wasnt happy with. I remember when i ordered my Delphine and i saw some owner photos that really put me off, i sorta began to regret getting her. Then when she arrived in person i was so greatfull i was completely wrong!

Normal unedited photographs > Heavily photoshopped ones are the best for if you actually want to see what a mold really looks like.

12. It happens to me all the time. There are plenty of dolls that I got turned off by owner pictures.

A badly lit picture. A homebrew face up. An ugly wig. So many things that can make a doll just look ghastly.

And I'm sure I've turned people off of the Resinsoul Mei with how bad my pictures are.

13. Speaking as a homebrew face upper, if I'm satisfied with it, it's NONE of anyone else's business.

14. I really liked FairyLand's MNF Shushu until I saw one that looked like my brother's ex-girlfriend. Now I cringe whenever I see one.
      I also liked a couple of the Volks dolls until I saw default face-ups on them. I don't like their default faces at all.

15. That's nice and all, but owner pictures turning people off from a doll is the subject of the thread O_o I agree with her, a poorly styled/faceupped/photographed owner picture can turn you off to a doll real quick if that's all or most of what you've seen of the doll. (just like unflattering company pics can)

I do prefer to see owner pics before I buy a doll, mostly because you can see the doll from more angles. You never know if it looks weird in profile or from a certain angle since the company pics usually show the most flattering angles.

16. Adding to this, an amateur faceup can sometimes showcase features of a sculpt that a professional one may soften, and sway someone who might've been on the fence about the doll one way or the other.

As for me, back when I got into the hobby and was looking into what doll to purchase as my first, I quite liked the professional, flattering photos of Dream of Doll's dolls. (Back when they only sold DoCs.) However, after looking at a lot of owner photos, I decided they weren't for me, and ended up buying my first dolls from Luts and Dollshe instead.

I also used to be swayed by the horrible, horrible default photos of Volks dolls. While I can appreciate the unphotoshopped photos they provide, it wasn't until I started seeing gorgeous customs on Yahoo!Japan that I realized I liked a lot more of their sculpts than I thought. Now I just sort of ignore the default pics when a new sculpt is released and try to envision it with different wig, eyes, and even a different faceup. I actually really wish I hadn't been fooled by the awful default Williams photos, because I might've tried to get one at retail price, instead of having to watch their auction prices skyrocket now. :sweat

17. If I see one and I know it's something I like and can look the way I like, then that's what's important. I figure that anyone can make a doll look like something I'm NOT interested in. But what's important is that I know it can look a way I want it to, not what others do!!! A doll can be made to look all kinds of different ways! You have to try not to let that influence you, I think.

That said, I find owner photos very important, since I can see all the various ways a doll can look. That usually is more of a positive thing with me than a negative, though, since I consider what I said above about owners making SOME look in ways I don't necessarily like. But as long as I see something look the way I DO like, that's always the thing that matters! So, more often for me, owner photos convince me I really WANT a doll, rather than turn me off! But sometimes I also learn that I made the right decision in NOT buying a doll (which is more like the "turning off" aspect the OP was talking about).

18. On the website the pictures look awesome, but when I see owner pics at all kinds of weird angles and not a good straight on face shot it really annoys the hell out of me and then I don't want that doll. I take all my pictures of my dolls straight on so I can see the face and how the makeup looks.

19. It's happened to me o_o Especially where Dream of Doll is concerned... I've seen about 20 dolls where they look like their "website photos" and are beautiful, but in the end I just couldn't bare to own another Dream of Doll :(

20. Yes, many times!

I LOVED the pictures of SOOM Amber on the website yet now that I see owner pictures....I'm left kinda glad I missed her sale. I'm just not drawn to her. On the other hand, I didn't care for the pictures of SOOMs Glot or Glati on the site and now that I've seen owner pictures I really want one (and thankfully have found one!)!