1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Have pictures ever turned you off from a doll

Jul 17, 2009

1. Definately! I think stock photos are meant to show the best of the doll (at least in most cases) but they don't show it's potential - whether that be positively or negatively. So I always try to check out other people's pictures, since they're a bit more realistic.

2. oh Defiantly! I've loved the UH-14 from unidoll since she came out, she's feminine but still stronger looking then most of the other girl dolls i've seen at that point. then i joined doa and saw people's photos of her and she looked so different! i didn't like her at all. now I'd really like to see her in person to see what she really looks like

3. Definitely! I always check owner photos as well as the stock photos, there are so many dolls I didn't like "out of the studio" versus loving their stock photos. And there a ton also that I hated them based on their stock photos, but seeing owner photos completely turned me around!

4. The only owner pics that have turned me off of a doll are those that are completely blank and/or light, natural faceups at different angles in good lighting-- and only because I can see the sculpt, head and/or body, for what it is more easily.

And I do wish there were more blank, different angle stock photos offered by companies. Though I've found that tracking down the sculptors postings and websites can be enlightening in this regard.

Other than that, photos haven't turned me off of a doll. Wigs and clothing can be changed. Faceups can be wiped much more easily than sculpts altered. Though getting the right faceup can be a toughie though..

5. I loved Souldoll Chiron when I firs saw the promo-photos on their website and even wanted to buy him but decided to wait. And when I saw other people’s photos of him I was surprised because he looked really different! He’s still gorgeous but not what I was looking for.

6. I was very interested in getting a Bobobie Elena, as she looked elegant from the company photo. But when I looked on DoA, I noticed that her face wasn't moving me as I thought it would, so she's now off the list of my potential first BJD. :(

7. I wish I could say either way but it turns out that all the dolls I want have very few owner pic on DoA. Like right now I'm saving up for a second doll and was going from company to company and found fairylands feeples and fell in love with Iden but he has so few pics here I mean like 3 or something :...( but i have a CP Yder IRL so I at least know I like the way that CP makes the dolls.

So many pukipuki and minifee pics though.:|

8. Oh god, it happens to me all the time. I'll be dead set on a mold from company pictures then I'll see owner pics and just scowl because it wasn't what I thought it would be.

9. Ugh! I have this problem all the time! I go looking for owner pics of a doll I'm thinking about to find see what the worst of the worst is about the sculpt (super-pointy nose, scowly eyes, etc. and if it's something I can deal with, fine). But there are few or no pics to tell me if it's not the right doll for me! I think I'm the only person right now who has a Crobi Gillian, and if I had seen some owner pics I probably wouldn't have bought him... I had to do a lot of modding on him!

I find the turn-off pictures very useful!

10. Oh absolutely, a doll looks different in real life and for some reason when I see a pic of a doll compared to just my memory I usually go with the pic and then just start not liking the doll!

11. Plenty of times. Mostly by owner pictures of the dolls. The company's pictures and owner pictures were completely different since the company heavily photoshopped their photos.

12. I think this shows the importance of owner's images! A company's beautiful (or poor) item images can show one image, only to see another when other people are taking pictures. I always try to keep an eye out~ It's even more helpful to see the doll in real life, but that's not always possible--so owner's pictures are a workable substitute.

13. It happens to me all of the time, too. I am no longer taken in by a pretty face! In fact, unless I can find owner pics I am likely not to buy at all. One of the best assets for me is a manufacturer that keeps an owner gallery on-line for their customers. Not only do those galleries give me ideas, they give me a chance to sell the sculpt from different angles and in different light. It's also fun for the collectors to view and donate photos to these galleries. Our galleries here on DoA and the great photos our members contribute with their posts are a wonderful resource. I "find" a sculpt and immediately come here to search for that company and, hopefully, that particular doll. I've "found" sculpts I would never have imagined were ones I want and rejected sculpts I was certain were in my future.

14. This is totally me as well - when I start thinking "Oh, this looks awesome" I start hunting for the way they look when someone isn't trying to sell them. Often it's not quite as awesome (although sometimes it's more so, which is always a nice surprise).

Of course when there's a new LE somewhere and there's no hunting to do, that almost becomes stressful (although caution is probably a good thing sometimes, so that's not necessarily a bad thing either).

15. Sometimes I see pictures of dolls that have shiny faceups or undesirable (to me) faceups or something, and I think "I do not want that doll DX". Usually I don't investigate the sculpt at all after that, unlike when I see a faceup I like and think "who is that doll! I want one!" and look for more owner pictures. So, they really sort of keep me from falling in love with the doll, because I won't do any research based on pictures like that. If that made any sense...

16. Some companies do not seem to know how to really "show off" their dolls and it does make it harder for me to really want something I cannot see completely but owner pictures really help and most of the time I end up liking the doll.
      And some times I do not like a doll and end up absolutely wanting it because of what someone did with it or just because every picture I see of it is just so pretty I have to see it IRL xD

But for me to not like a doll because of the pictures happened not too long ago. My dream doll was a AS Lucifer (luxifa) and I really could not find any owner pics that were "good" enough but what I saw on the company's site was really great so I wanted him.
      Then the current event arrived and they released to new Lucifer and really I did not like what I saw. Its as if they were completely not the same doll but they are!
      So I went back to search for a dream doll :P
      And went with a Crobidoll Lance because I did not see any pictures of one I disliked xD

17. It is kind of opposite for me. I really dislike all of Volks' stock photos. The dolls look very unappealing to me. However, when I look at pictures of people's Volks dolls I really like them.

18. Often, I saw their pictures.
      Made me fall in love.
      Eventually I got some of them.

19. That's actually something I like about Volks. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than unpleasantly surprised. The Volks stock photos seem to show you what the doll could look like in some of the "worst" photographs. XD

20. HAHA! I do suppose that is true, so then you know what you're getting yourself into and the work you need to do to make it pretty. xD