1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Have pictures ever turned you off from a doll

Jul 17, 2009

1. Actually, when i was thinking about getting my first resin doll, i was looking for one with a lower price. i stumbled upon BBB isabella..but the pictures on the website were such low quality that i almost said forget it >_<
      But then i saw some really good owner pictures of her, and decided to get her. now she's sitting here with me. I think owner pictures are probably the best to go by when deciding to get a doll..because u get to see how they look in life (not photoshopped images, like there usually are on websites) of course, i could be wrong. i've only been in this hobby for about a year or so

2. Yeah, I try not to look at too many pictures of whatever doll I want at the time because it's almost inevitable I'll see something I don't like about it - wrong lighting, angle, etc.

3. I can't say I've ever had this happen..but I tend to go on the hunt for pics of a doll I want so I can see the various ways they can look in the hands of different owners.

I've never had another person's pics turn me off though when it came to buying a boy doll...This is probably because I realize that some people just like their boy dolls to look like girls (it seems oddly common too me), so hence they dress and make up their doll accordingly. If anything, such images let me know the versatility a doll has with regard to achieving different looks. So when it comes to my own decision making process the more pics I see the better even if I don't necessarily care for the way some owners present their dolls.

4. Absolutely! I'd never buy a doll based on promotional photos. I always want to see owner pics with different face ups and ankles first. And when there are loads of promotional photos all showing the dolls face from the same half profile you just know that there must be something wrong with the doll. Also, with male dolls I'd prefer to see what they are packing (down there) before buying too! ;p

5. I almost never fall in love with company pictures. Most of my favorite head sculpts, I discovered through stumbling across an amazing owner picture. I would have never given MNF Ruth a second look on the FL website. Company pics show so little of a doll's vast potential. For one thing you just can't see any of the contours in all that soft light they like to use. >_<;; (Except DollsTown, they always use awesome lighting.)

It was actually some pictures of a Ruth with a really amateur faceup that made me realize how cute the sculpt could be, because of the facial expression the person had achieved.

6. Personally I haven't (yet) found a picture that turns me off a particular doll (I really don't like the ones with the human-ized animal heads though, those bunny/cat creatures creep me out.) , mostly because I think it's fantastic that you give a group of people the exact same sculpt and they all produce a doll that's radically differant from all the others.

7. I had such situation. I was in love with Soom Dia sculpt, as a female, but after doing reserch on the internet I've found that she would look better as a boy. And since I prefer girls... Well my feelings got colder about that doll. Company photos were showing quite deceitful, after seeing owner photos I just changed my mind.
      I still think it's a lovely mature type female doll, but it does not suit my taste.

8. I did want Cuprit when she was first available but soon after seeing the real pictures of her (from the Japanese Soom location) I decided against getting her....I'm glad too because I have realized that I don't care for fantasy dolls.

9. I still can't believe that I felt/feel this way, or that I'm even about to say this but I came across a Ducan full set for sale here in the MP and even though nothing about him was changed in ANY way, the owner pics just....well it simultaneously broke my heart and saved me money. Just thinking about it still makes my heart sink.

10. well not from the way they dressed the doll, but i will often find pictures in a not so flatering angle that will turn me off. or the opposite. it looked bad on the site but i saw an owners pic and got ''turned on''

11. I am regularly irritated by company photos. I get all excited when I learn my favorite company has a new doll, but when I check it out, the face is all obscured by bad lighting, bad angles, and a shaggy wig. When treated that way, all dolls look pretty much the same, which not enough incentive to buy. I might change my mind if I can study some well lit shots. I like to see the bare sculpt if possible, since it's most likely I will put my own spin on the faceup.

12. I try not to let gross photos judge a doll because a new faceup, eyes and wig can change any doll. Although I have to admit some dolls like Soom Shonki who totally turned me off in the official images, but when i saw Shonki in a owner picture she looked ten times cuter! The shiny black resin in the official images made me feel like she'd be blinding-shiny in real life, where-as these photos made her look less sheen.
      I always go by owner photos but for some dolls it's very hard to find them. If I don't find photos then I would usually try my best to imagine the sculpt blank because I know a faceup could change a doll so much that it doesn't even look like the original sculpt anymore. With a little imagination and strong vision you can make any doll look good or "bad". ^^;

13. yeah, i was looking at pictures of familydoll dolls, because they were cheap, and there was one i really liked, but when i looked closer, she had elf ears. i like elf dolls, but they didn't suit her AT ALL, so yeah.

14. I recently loved one of the new Iplehouse dolls in their promo photos then when owner photos started appearing I was so disappointed, the doll just looked so ordinary and has really put me off buying it.

15. Oh yeah x_x The first companies that I can think of are Volks and Angel of Dream. Not saying that their photos are bad, but they make me not want their dolls much. I think it mainly comes down to face-up for both of them as well. (Dear AoD, Ruo Feng's eyebrows don't need to be that slanty. Thank you~)
      It's usually owner's pics that get me to either like or keep my indifference about a doll. I'm actually seeking a Volks Colin because of the pictures around here =D

(A bit off topic - It's nice that I didn't see that this thread was about to be a year old |Db Because it got me wondering how some people have posted on the 17th, and that date hasn't happened yet. wtg,me!)

16. Ugh, yes, so now I make it a point to hunt up owner pics of the dolls I'm planning on buying, just to make sure I like every aspect of the sculpt itself. Sometimes I'll realize I really hate the body, or the nose isn't quite what I'd thought. Seeing different faceups on a doll highlights different aspects of the sculpt and makes it easier for me to decided if I love the doll, or the company pictures of the doll.

17. I have seen some dolls and in one face up costume and specific persona they look fabulous.
      Then I see them with a completely different look and really am not keen.
      I think the way they are completed can make all the difference!!

18. eh only all the time, especially when i see a doll from an unflattering angle and decide that i can't deal fit that into my group.

19. Its happened when i liked Suri from Unidoll...In the reality I didnt like her.

20. Oh, yeah, I've definitely seen sculpts that are much more wow in owner pics than in company pics, or IRL compared to pictures. The opposite has also been true - owner pics have turned me off a sculpt. I'm a little careful about that, though, because I've had sequences like: loved official pics-hated owner pics-loved IRL doll :sweat