1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you even been put-off your own dolls?

Apr 21, 2010

1. I've had a bit of one...but it was kinda self-induced: I was having some serious face-up difficulties with my new boy and I got so frustrated that I just wiped it all off and put him back in the closet. I didn't particularly enjoy looking at him for a while because he just reminded me of all that frustration, but then a few days later I took a breath and re-did his faceup and it came out great and so I'm loving him all over again :)

But it wasn't a good feeling at all being frustrated upon seeing him. It made me sad :(

2. I've been put off by my Afra, so much so that I'm now selling him :[

I'v had my afra for almost 2 years (this July). He was my first SD and I loved him to bits! My friend did his first face-up and I loved it, it lasted for a good year or so... but it was really dirty and starting to rub off so it was time for a change. So I wiped it off and tried my hand at it. Unfortunately I could not get him to look anything like how I wanted him to, and got so frustrated... The same friend who had done his face-up in the first place offered to do it again so I handed him off to her... and didn't see him for a good 4 months : |''' When I finally got him back, he looked perfect again but I just couldn't connect with him anymore. I couldn't get his wig to look the same, I couldn't get the same emotion in photos... Finally I decided to bring him out with me (which is the ultimate test, because I love to play with my dolls one on one) and there was just nothing left... So I decided to put him up on the MP. I'm still super sad about it but I know it's the right thing to do. I'm hoping to reshell the character and the love that was there originally will be rekindled <3

3. Just recently, I re-did my girl's face-up, and I had to take out her eyelashes. The only eyelashes I could get ahold of without going all the way to the other side of town to the doll store were black. They're in her now, and she just doesn't look right. I can't play with her while she looks like this. I'm going to take them out and put in the brown ones I got yesterday, and I hope she comes back to me. *sigh*

4. Yeah, I went through that with one of my boys, Jake. He took an nasty spill at a doll meet and lost a huge chunk from his ribs. My husband epoxed the chunk back in, but went for structural integrity over appearance and it just looks nasty. I don't have the health to sand it down, so for awhile I was just disgusted with him. Nothing he could do was right, and he just looked miserable. So I boxed him up for awhile. We ended up moving, so everyone got boxed. When I finally unboxed him, the love was back. His ribs are still a mess, but it's just a battle scar to me now. I'll probably try to straighten him out later when I'm up to it, but I love him either way. :)

5. Sadly... a little bit. The midsection join in my Fai (DZ Fei) came "undone" - it came glued down, but it came loose and he became very floppy and kicky whenever it would "pop out", which happened often. I got so frustrated, worried, and scared over it that I would almost cry every time it popped out (it was audible). So I just... couldn't play with him. I left him in his box a lot, or sat him in one pose and left him there, without daring to touch him. I played a lot more with my other dolls (especially my new one, Van).

Thankfully, it turned out to be a fixable problem. My best friend glued the piece back in, and now Fai is... well, he's perfect again! I love cuddling and playing with him so much now. I have him out whenever possible now. There's still a little paranoia, as it's only been two days since the piece was fixed, but... he's better, at his best again, and I couldn't love him more. <3

6. bumping this up ^^

7. I always thought I would be a little put off by two of my dolls because they were gifts from an ex boyfriend, but I realized, I hold my dolls on a different level. My dolls have their own story and they shouldn't have anything to do with any human so some how I was able to just forget it. Which is shocking because usually I let things get to me haha.

8. It really sucks when other people ruin your dolls for you. Almost everyone I know supports my doll hobby (even people who I never expected would), however, the most important person in my life made me feel really stupid for collecting dolls. This person made me feel really guilty for spending such a big bulk of my money and just couldn't understand why the dolls were special to me. Even though my other friends and family told me not to listen, and to just be happy, I was unhappy for a long time after recieving my dolls, and still find myself worrying or hesitant to purchase new ones or accessories because I still don't want to dissapoint this person.

In the end you should just try to find happiness in this special, unique hobby because so many people will hurt you in life, but a doll can technically never do that if you think about it.

9. I have a huge fear of inhaling anything toxic after a bad experience with some paint thinner....
      So, I was ecstatic when my Sard arrived, then kinda annoyed when I found out one of his hooves wasn't drilled. Knowing resin dust isn't great for you, I asked my dad to do it. When I tried to string him afterwards, a load of dust fell out and I went into panic mode (and attack).
      I've avoided him since...and his hoof still doesn't fit on yet ;_;

Hopefully I'll get over it and try again with him as he is my absolute dream doll!!

10. Well for awlie I was actuially really disgusted with Sai, my Megi-2. At my first dollmeet some one asked if she was a yellow skinned doll. I sort of over reacted later becacus she is a white skinned doll and she really isnt that old. For awile I just got sick when I looked at her, recentailly I was going to sell her to my friend and but I just couldnt bring myself to do it o.o I guess at that moment I found out that I still did love her and I have been pampering her ever since n.n

11. I have had that experience with certain things, but I'm hoping it never happens with one of my dolls, I'd be heartbroken.

12. Absolutely. Intense friendships leave the deepest wounds. I had three favorite dolls that were affected for me, by either being away for a long time and slipping out of character, or just being tightly associated with that set of characters and the ill-fated friendship. The one I was tied to the most, got intense attention and new memories overlaid, and after a few months, things were okay. The other two... it's been over a year now, going on two, and I'm still having trouble getting on with it, but time is easing the frustration a little bit for me. I still really love the dolls, and have long since gotten over the urge to sell them to help ease the pain, but their characters have yet to come back to the way they were "before", and I suspect it will be a little while yet before they do.
      Time and new memories, yup.
      But yes, it happens, and it's not easy to get through.

13. My friend already posted her experience but this has happened to me as well.

I was put off by my dolls for about three months at one point when I found out that a bunch of people, including the ones who got me into BJDs, were talking about me behind my back and being nice to me...it was utterly devestating. But then I found that my hobby was for ME and reclaimed my love so to speak.

One of my exes I got into BJDs...that put me off for a long while too esp because there were feelings on my part that she had tried to copy my ideas (had even gotten a Puki just like my old one). That adversion was very short lived though. Eventually I put my dolls back together as I was putting myself back together.

The worst though was totally self-inflicted. I need personal care at school and my state funding had run out...which meant I had to start selling my dolls off one by one. Including my favorite and first Puki. So I put her in a box, kept her there and would sit with her and say 'I can't love you anymore"...her body and her open eyed plate sold...but then...A FRIEND BOUGHT HER BACK. She's spent the last year in a box because I'm so removed from her now and I can't get it back. I guess it's time to let her go for good now :aheartbea

Right now and I have NO CLUE why, I can't play with my Pukifee! Maybe because I played with her so much before but she's just dull to me lately...trying to figure out what to do to remedy that! :)

14. I kinda go through ups and down with my dolls. There is a lot of dislike for certain companies kinda floating around and while logically I know others opinions shouldn't really bother me I can't help but feel very insecure about my dolls. There are days when I look at them and think I should just sell them all and buy a one expensive one that is a really popular mold, one that I won't be embarrassed to bring to cons and meets. I really do like my dolls and I know it's stupid of me to allow others to stop me from enjoying them but I can't help but feel a bit put off from my dolls when I hear disparaging comments about their companies.

15. Uhh, I've had times when I didn't notice something (mostly just staining), and my friend pionted it out to me. But, nothing serious to stop me from bonding...

16. I let people get to me about Mischief for a while. it was frustrating because it made me feel like I lost touch with 'who he was' kinda. I felt like I lost his character somewhere along the way and didn't know how to get him back. but I'm working on it, slowly, and he's coming back. I'm glad I didn't sell him, because I would miss him terribly.

17. Hey, I understand what you mean, not with a doll but with music. There is a band I truly love, but the person who introduced me to them really hurt me. It's harder for me to listen to them, but I am slowly getting over it. It's hard to break associations, but maybe try to meet some other people with dolls that you can have a fun time with. When you make new memories involving something, sometimes it can help you put away the bad ones. For example, I am beginning to find more people who like this band, and now he is not the only association I have with them.

18. I'm going through a bit of a crisis with my new Lishe but it's not because of something bad that happened to her or something a friend said. The day I got her, I had nothing but bad luck and every day following, was the same. It made me start to develop negative feelings toward her. I even thought about reselling her soon after I got her. But, giving her head to Effigy to paint was exactly what I needed at the time. Seeing her headless body sitting there made me feel better about purchasing her for some reason. Maybe because I could poke fun at her headless corpse laying in my trunk with Sevin and Roku nearby, clinging to eachother for dear life. Once I got the head back, I was completly awestricken and all of the negative thoughts I had about her just disappeared. I think that face-up Effigy gave her, is really what saved her from being sold. She's still bald though and her wig should be here tomorrow so hopefully it'll help me to fall for her even more. (THANK GOD!!! Took almost a month to get it..10 days of shipping. Grrrr)