1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever abandoned a doll?

Sep 9, 2009

1. No, I don't care if I don't play with every doll every day. I don't require constant touching to make me feel like some kind of "good parent" or what-have-you. Some of these guys have been wearing the same outfit for 9 months in a row, and they look just as beautiful as they did the day I dressed them that way. They're dolls; they're not going to need psychotherapy or chase me down for revenge if they don't go to meetups every single weekend.

The dolls sit on the shelves looking beautiful. When I can't be (or don't feel like) playing with them, I simply look at them and enjoy them. That is what they're for.

2. I only have one doll and I doubt that I would ever loose enough interest in him to "abandon" him. It's true that he sits in his box most of the time but I do it so my family doesn't come into my room and see a huge naked doll sitting on my bed (he currently has no eyes, wig, clothes, shoes, etc.).

I'm sure to never "abandon" any of my future dolls because I am EXTREMELY picky and will wait months or years to make sure the doll is perfect before actually buying it(although that didn't happen in Roy's case but I still adore the heck out of him).

3. I haven’t been going to doll meets for a while and my dolls were just hanging out on my bookshelf for a couple of months and I stare at them when I don't feel like playing with them.

About a month ago, decided to pack them up in their boxes so they won’t collect dust. I also did this to see if I’m going to miss any of them while they’re not on display.

I don’t feel that I’ve abandoned them. No guilty feelings whatsoever. In fact, when I found new homes for some dolls that I didn’t miss, I felt relieved and there’s more space in my room.

To say the least, my dolls are my belongings. If I don’t want them anymore, I’ll sell them to someone who does!

4. Nope, I wouldn't consider it "abandonment". If I didn't like the doll, or want to play with it... I wouldn't have it anymore. I'd either sell it, or give it away to someone I know who would love to have a doll. I'm not afraid of dollies coming to life, either. If a doll came to life and threatened to kill me with a spork, I'm fairly confident I'd win that fight. :P

5. Well, I wouldn't call it abandonment. I mean, my doll was kept in storage for almost a year. I love her, but life became hectic. I just didn't have the time and energy to play with her. I never felt bad about it though, I knew I was going to play with her eventually, when things settled down.
      When I finally pulled her out of her box a few months back, I swear she seemed grateful when she finally saw the light of day again. She seems rather happy to be out and about again.

6. No, but I usually rotate through my group when it comes to playing--often the ones I'm playing with at any given time are also the ones I happen to be writing about at that moment. There were two that I was having a little trouble connecting with, but all they really needed was to have their characters taken in a different direction. All of mine sit out in my living room where I can admire them if nothing else. Even if I'm not playing with all of them at once, I like to have them all around me.

7. I keep my doll in a box most of the time cause of where I live. You practically breathe dust XD (ok so maybe I'm exagerating) but seriously though, things get very dusty very fast, so I don't want him to get dirty. But once I traveled and left him in that box inside my closet for a whole week ; . ; I felt really bad, the whole time I couldn't stop thinking about him.

8. I keep my dolls in a cupboard and only take one or two out at a time - so it's feels like I get a brand new doll every few weeks. I don't feel as though they are abandoned.

When I do sell them off - it's like I'm a foster mum passing them into a nice new family - but then again, they are just dolls.

9. my doll has a space on my room sometimes i call it her room. when im not playing with her she stays there with some stuff animals =))

10. sorta.
      i bought a head... waited long to have money to get a body. got bored of the head. tryed to sell it, during this time: bought a full doll. deceided to keep the head at the end. still dont have a body XD

11. Yeah. I feel like this about one of mine, so it's time to let go of him.

12. Most of mine reside in their boxes, safe from sunlight and inquisitive little fingers. I have a rambunctous 4 year old, who is mostly good about leaving my things alone, but not if I'm dumb enough to leave it out on her level for too long. My husband caught her coming around the pool table the other day with a wig and accessory bits, which I hastily put away. Can you imagine if I left my faceup supplies sitting out? OMG *o* I'd never get the pastels cleaned up.

However, though I cannot play with my dolls very much right now, I still think of and plan for them, so they are not abandoned in that sense.

13. I don't play with my dolls every day, but I have them all sitting out so that I can enjoy their beauty.

14. hm... I do feel bad about keeping them inside my closet/in their boxes... I find that I don't want to play with them unless I have them 'finished' and photostory ready.

15. Not abandon, sell when I get bored sure.

To me, most of the time, they are like a good painting: simply seeing them and enjoying their beauty is enough.

16. I think my Sard has pretty much been abandoned. He has left his box... twice? Maybe three times since I've had him. I still haven't painted the stupid hooves. I finally got the magnets from hell glued in after two/three years of ownerhip but the horns are unblushed. And he's still nameless.

I have not yet parted with him because 1- he's purdy 2- I wouldn't be able to replace him if I regretted it later.

17. Oooh yeah! Going through that right now actually. My poor Bobobie Weylin. I'm currently trying to trade him for a smaller doll. I just fell out of love for him. 60cm is def not my size! I'm a bigger fan of Yo-Sized dolls. :: sigh :: He needs a good home...

18. Not really abandon, but 2009 was a rough year for me and I didn't touch my dolls at all.
      They sat on a shelf and collected dust, I even entertained the idea of selling them all and giving up the whole hobby.
      When things calmed down I realized I missed them all, so I picked them up, dusted them off, and now I love them more than the day I got them.

19. When I started into fashion school, My only doll at the time sat on my shelf for three years. I never moved him, Changed his clothes or did anything other than routinely be sure to dust him off. I didn't feel like I was abandoning him- he's the same as any other action figure on my shelf in that respect, and while there were a few times I almost sold him but changed my mind everytime. I realized that his sitting on the shelf wasn't some crime, but just focusing on things that needed focusing on.

20. I would hardly call it abandonment. One of my dolls sat without a face-up for about a month and a half before I finally sent her off to a face-up artist. It's hard to find time for dolls during the school year, although I do make an effort to go to doll meets since that's more hanging out with friends.

Considering all of the things to possibly be stressed about, like next week's Calculus exam, I just cannot allow myself to be guilty about not playing with dolls for a few months. :lol: