1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever abandoned a doll?

Sep 9, 2009

1. Right now I have one doll who is disassembled because she needs new elastic and lots of tlc sanding.etc. so I bet she would be feeling a little abandoned right now. We never really bonded but due to some odd connection ive never sold her. I also ran out of room in my doll cabinet so my Onysuvia has been in her box untouched since she got here.. I feel terrible but until I find a way to expand my dolls dwellings theres no other way :(

2. When I read the title I thought "I hope no one has ever just left and lost track of a BJD considering how much they cost!" :lol: I have certainly lost interest in some of my dolls. A few went on the MP, but others I kept for months in a box or otherwise put aside. There are some dolls in which I always regain interest.

As for feeling guilty... no. I do not feel guilty about losing interest in things and selling them. I may joke that I feel guitly about paying attention to one doll and not another, but I'm really not. hehe
      It may be more difficult it someone kindly bought me a doll that I did not want to keep.

3. All of my dolls are out where they can be admired but I have one who just never gets played with. I even did a for sale photo shoot with him but couldn't go through with the sale. I had a bad experience when I first got him, maybe that's the reason but I like him too much to sell.

4. Well I guess I did technically. I bought two dolls together for my first doll, to be determined which one would fit the character better. One of them was going to be boxed and stored/sold no matter what, as I wasn't going to keep both. The one I ended up boxing stayed that way for almost half a year before it was sold. I didn't feel guilty about it because the cost of being sure which sculpt was better was the price of shipping.

5. No and never. If you don't like the doll, just sell it. There's bound to be a person in the internet who would appreciate the doll.

6. Well, sometimes my dolls can live in their boxes for a quite a while, but I have yet to think of that as 'abandoning' them. They go there because I want to protect them from sunlight, dust, accidents, staining, and so forth. It would feel irresponsible to me if I just let them sit there. For the last year or so, I haven't been able to do quite as much with them as I'd like, due to some medications that I'm on-- but all of my dolls are just as dear to me as they ever were.

7. my honey delf doesn't get played with as often as my littlefee and my pukifee do, and i sometimes feel like i abandon her a little bit. but the way i see it, just because i'm not as "close" with her as i am with my others doesn't mean that i don't love her and want her around. i've almost sold her twice, but then when i had to get pictures of her for the sale thread i've gotten nostalgic and changed my mind, because i feel like my doll family wouldn't be the same without her.

8. No doll gets left behind in this camp.

9. My dolls live in their boxes the majority of the time. I don't see it as 'abandoning' them or feel guilty about it because I still think about them often and make sure to spend time with them when I can. It's just that 20+ characters (most of whom are 68cm tall and share a limited number of bodies) don't really play nicely with limited space :sweat

10. I agree with this statement. A lot of my dolls stay in boxes or stay out of sight because I have limited space. I also have a lot of floating heads and it would feel weird to have them out on display without bodies!

11. Maybe I am one of the (strange) few but all my dolls are ALWAYS in boxes now. Why? To help speed down the process of Yellowing. @___@ Even artificial (white) lights can make them yellow since there's a certain amount of UV in them. I don't want to leave them out knowing this. It's not because I don't want to keep them though. I certainly don't think that selling dolls = abandonment. To me, selling them may give them the chance to be able to stay in a family that will appreciate them much more than me.

12. I don't really think abandoning a doll is a way to put it... Personally, I do have some dolls away right now due to just not having room. Recently moved down to the basement and my sister took my old room so rather than keeping them up (since I haven't been able to move everything from there down here) for her to destroy, I feel they are better in boxes until I find somewhere for them.

13. No, I've never abandoned a doll. If I found myself ignoring one of them, I'd take some time and figure out why (is it the doll or just me being distracted?), and if I concluded that I just didn't love it as much as I used to, I'd start looking for someone who would. Every time I've sold a doll (a whole doll, not pieces), it's to someone who specifically expressed an abundance of love for it. This has always been very important to me. Right now, two of my three girls are in another state for safe keeping (because my living situation has been volatile), together in one box. I think about them often, and don't consider them abandoned at all. As soon as I have a safe place of my own to live, they will be the first things I bring there.

14. So have you ever abandoned one of your dolls?
      I have resold dolls that i can;t bond with.. or that.. had traumatic memories attached to. However i have never abandoned a doll... I have had them stolen... but if i move a doll on.. it is to a good home, and a new family....

Are they kept in their box somewhere and you no longer play with them now?
      No, i find them new homes as soon as i can..... but for the ones stolen....
      Do you feel guilty about it? Or have you ever wanted to stop playing with a doll but were afraid to do so?
      A little... i felt guilty about not being able to look at my two DZ dragon dolls the same way after the traumatic memories mentioned before.

15. My dolls stays inside their boxes most of the time, because I have a cat with a passion for jumping around and occasionally bumping into delicate things... They end up in pieces, and I can't bring myself to risk having something similar happen to my BJDs. I just don't have anywhere safe enough outside their boxes to place them right now.

However, I really feel no connection with one of them anymore. I've tried changing her clothes and giving her new face-ups several times, but nothing works - what I felt changed at some point.
      At the same time, I can't bring myself to sell her, either.
      So I would say she was "abandoned", in the sense that she really doesn't interest me anymore and I barely think of her now. She was my first doll.

16. I wouldn't call it abandoning; it's hard for me to picture the concept of abandonment being applied to an inanimate object. It's really hard to abandon something that doesn't care whether it's left alone or not. That said, I did just sell one of my dolls because I just wasn't doing anything with him. He never came out of his storage spot, and I figured after something like a year and a half of him just sitting there I figured someone else would enjoy him more than I would and passed him on to one of the girls here in town. Even with that in mind, though, my dolls almost never leave their carriers. I have no room to display them, and the carriers keep them nice and protected. I don't feel the least bit guilty about it, either.

17. Nope! If I didn't have much interest in a doll, I wouldn't keep him/her, because I could easily sell that doll and buy another that would keep my interest better. Someone else would love that doll more, so why hold on if I wasn't going to do anything with it? Sitting in a box seems a terrible waste.
      I might handle one doll more than the others for a few days, but no one is ever boxed up and 'abandoned'. I could see this being different if I had many dolls, but even then I think I would keep buying and selling to refine my collection to individuals I really liked to play with.

18. I have abandoned a doll. She sits in her box and I feel a strange guilt and saddness about her. Every now and again I put up a sale post but don't really commit to getting her rehomed. It is sort of wierd. I never keep any dolls in boxes so she is like a stain on the floor that you can't wash off!

19. No. If I haven't bonded with a doll I feel I'm better off selling him/her, not keeping them around.

20. I have several dolls that were bought to be "shelf-sitters" rather than interact with me and/or the other dolls, and I don't consider it "abandoning" them to not play with them... because they were bought just to sit there and look pretty, and have no character/personality attached to them.

Dolls that I fail to bond with end up getting re-homed pretty quickly.