1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever accidentally influenced someone into the BJD Hobby but..

Sep 25, 2008

1. my friend got me into Dolls. At first i was like "holy scrap metal!" at the price but then I saw more and I wanted a doll! So I am saving for a doll now. But I didn't want her to feel like I was just jumping in the hobby cos of her so I'm not trying to rush. I'm taking my time and learning as much as I can to make sure this the right decision to make.

and she doesn't have a doll eyt either. and i would feel rather bad if i got a doll before her. i think she deserves it more than i do!

2. Well i influenced some people but not many of my friends can afford one ^^. My one good friend is saving up for her's though

3. I've influenced a few people actually XD One of which is on this forum <3

My closest should-have-been-my-real-sibling hated BJDs at first XD In fact, she said right out 'I HATE those things!!!' XD And then, after a month or so she suddenly said she was going to get one XD

Another is my mother... Who said she finds them creepy... And yet now, wants a Dollmore Hwi Ki, and is giving me a room in our new apartment for my doll things!

The last is my friend here. She thought I was crazy at first, but listened to my rants and took interest in his clothes and such. She now is thinking of buying a Mini--as long as I do all the stringing, sanding, and sealing for her... She'd be too afraid to XD

But alas, we are also trying to keep her little sister from knowing about the dolls! She's 10...and extremely irresponsible and SPOILED. She buys things she doesn't need, uses them for a day and then leaves them all over the office in the motel and around their house! We know that if she sees one, she'll want one. Then, beg her dad and whine until she gets one, then either play with it roughly and break it after a few days, or forget about the poor thing after a day.... Or she might even start collecting them and treating them like her...what are they? Webkins? Webkinz? She has one of each of those and doesn't treat them well either...

4. One of my friends that I write stories with is considering getting a BJD of one of her own characters, but I'm not sure if she'll get out of the hobby all that fast if she does end up getting one, she has way too much fun with her characters xD

As for my other friends, they think they're 'pretty in a creepy way', but I don't think they'd want one of their own.

5. my friends think i'm crazy for loving these "creepy things". i think my girl is the most beautiful thing in the world! i took one of my friends to an anime convention, and she was shocked at the number of people hauling them around. she then became super jealous of mine, 'cause she's the type of person that wants what's popular... so yeah, but no influence by me.

6. I'm getting ready to save for my first doll, and my best mate Sammi wanted to help me with a little opinion imput about which doll. When I showed her the one I really want, she flipped out and told me she didn't like it and wanted me to get this other one. I asked her why, and she said 'So I can play with it all the time!"

Without thinking, I said 'So why don't you get this one, and I'll get the one I like, and then we'll both be able to have dolls... they'll be friends!"

Didn't expect her to freak out again and agree to it. However, she doesn't have a job so there's no chance of her saving that much money, so I knew her interest wouldn't last.

7. It get me a free doll! :) My sister and I won heads and she wanted a body for it, had me do him up as Jareth, and he lives with me and his twin brother Taffy. Every now and again she thinks about selling him and if she gets serious about it I'll have to make payments to keep the twins together.

So if the other person buys and fizzles out you might be able to buy the doll off of them.

8. I brought my doll to a lolita party at Royal T Maid Cafe in Los Angeles. I went there a few weeks later and one of the employees (a guy actually) recognized me from the party and the resulting youtube video of the event. Last weekend a bunch of us went there with our dolls and he was very excited to see us. Actually, he was waiting for my return-he had printed the article from NPR and had a printout of the Yoshida Ball Joint Doll Book and wanted more links. I was surprised and gave him lots of links so the next time I go there he may already have a doll.

9. My sister tells me she wants an LOTR Arwen-style BJD, but she'll never follow through...unless, you know, I buy it FOR HER......I can hardly even afford dolls of my own!

10. I remember bringing my boy to my art academy, and sparked an interest of one of my classmates. She kept asking whether my doll could do this pose and then another, so forth and I showed it to her. And then she suddenly said, "Alright, I'm going to get one." And I was like, ".. WTF. You can't just buy a doll just to make him/her a mannequin. They are not supposed to be mannequins!"

And when I told her the price, she said, "Never mind!" And I was already sweatdropping and told her more that she would need to buy clothes and all for the doll if she ordered one. And she said this to me, "Oh, no worries. He'll just be naked in my room."

Which means.. Good Lord. x.x I can't imagine for the poor doll..

11. um i think the only thing you can do is nothing. if someone wants to spend the money and then loose interest that is their business really. i don't worry about stuff like that, or i try not to, because i know it's my problem.

there were some people i used to know, a long time ago, that i was sure would want a BJD, but i find that the price is enough of a deterrent to make people who aren't dedicated back out before the buy it. unless they have a lot of money to throw around.

12. O.O
      My biggest worry is that I'LL end up like that! I first discovered BJDs in back in August, at Otakon--I was lucky enough to see a few doll meet-ups, as well as the guys from Bishonen House and some of their creations, and was just blown away by how intricate and delicate the dolls were. Instinctively, I didn't even ask to touch them!! XD Somehow, I knew I shouldn't... they're too precious to let just anybody hold.

I've been trolling DoA and doing research on dolls ever since, and I have the chance to buy one... she'd be an incredible model for my sketches and artwork, but my characters already have personalities, and, and, and... >.<'''

I adore these dolls, even though I feel guilty (maybe, possibly) buying one. It's not an expensive doll, and she's ittle, but even so, I want to make sure I'll take care of her properly. *guilt guilt* Problem is, I won't get another chance like this one...

13. Sorta--but it was a very temporary influence.

I was at a Mitsuwa marketplace in Chicago for a meet-up last year, and while I was eating--with my boy sitting on the table by my tray--an elderly lady approached me and was beyond fascinated by him. She asked me where did I get him, and I told her that I ordered him from eluts.com. She asks me to write down websites----because she HAS to get one for her granddaughter.

Initial thoughts: :sweat. I asked her how old was her granddaughter, and she tells me she's 6 years old. I then told her how much Hikaru cost me (her reaction::o:o:o:o:o!!!!!) but I still wrote down and gave her the websites. Needless to say--I think she had changed her mind very quickly. XD

14. Back again xD I just remembered this.

A while back (when I used to talk about BJD's regularly around everyone) my sis made a comment about how because of me, she'd prolly end up having a doll too.

God...I hope not >.>' My sis would just want one because she feels the need to interfere with my life: ((if I like something, wow, imagine that, Britt suddenly has a new interest)) The whole thing is very elementary school coming from an 18 yr old who's two years older than me :sweat

But yea, the poor doll would just end up stuck on a shelf collecting dust, she'd just want it for the novelty. I know she wouldn't care, because the same day I asked her if I had my doll posed and he started to fall, would she try to catch him? (just a random question on my part)

She gave me this creepy look and said "No...I'd just bust out laughing"

Same question to a friend that same day, reply: "I'd throw myself on the ground so he wouldn't get hurt"

I love her x3

Ok, I'm done with my short novella, sorry if I got a little off topic, but I was trying to get the point across about what kind of personality my sister has, to explain my statement~~

15. I've never been an influence for bjds locally, but occasionally when I've sold bjd on ebay I get a winner who's never had one yet... Oh how I chew my nails off then!! These dolls are so much work compared to your average "collectible doll", and I'm always prepared for the new owner to take their unwillingness/inability to deal with it out on me (I've heard of this happening!). I've been lucky so far, thank the dollygods!

Raven

16. that's exactly how i feel. i wanna make sure it's not just a phase. and i feel gilty to buy one if i not gonna take care of it properly and love it. so I'm doing research. cos i don't want my friend who introduced me to them to be like the ppl in this thread who had ppl who they regret telling about BJDs to

17. I haven't influenced anyone yet, but I did take out my faceless and wigless tinies at a family dinner last night - one of my cousin's friends asked to see them, and she wasn't freaked out - rather she was fascinated at the craftsmanship.

18. mikkimikka, we'll have to keep in touch to see how things progress for each other! XD But I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who feels the same way... *scuttles off to start a GD thread about that*

19. Me, not so much.

My Sprite, however, was the first in my area--there are now about five, 'cause Hippolyta is so wonderful. :love:

Ann in CT

20. Ugh this happened with me ><

*I apologize now for the mention of off topic dolls BUT it's the only way to get from point A to point B*

So I got an obitsu at a con that I was at with a few friends, and one of my semi-friends *we werent talking to eachother at the time* got one too...to make a long story short...her doll is in pieces right now and she cant find the top half of her girl *shes giving it to me* so now that she's talking about actually getting a resin doll...I'm curious to see what happens