1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever accidentally influenced someone into the BJD Hobby but..

Sep 25, 2008

1. My younger sister. Ahaha. Well she's given up now, but she used to want a Pocket Fairy. I was like "errr... you know you can't do _____, _____, and _____ with them, and they're very delicate etc.". I was secretly thinking that she wouldn't have the slightest clue as to how to properly care for one. Glad she gave up lol.

2. That sounds kinda like the friend I live with except although she is clumsy and irresponisble with both our stuff, at least she would pay to replace it. She a good person, just clumsy and irresponsible. She will not be allowed to hold my dolly unless she has a pillow underneath her and mine or my best friends supervision.

3. The only person I've influenced into them is my grandmother... though it was almost a given that she'd love them (guess where I got the collector genes from xD).

...Of course, now she has twice as many as me...

4. Actually I'm on the other side XD my friend introduced them to me two years ago and now I'm hooked. I just ordered a DOT Sha ;A;
      But I've been staring at them nonstop and saved money for ye long so I know its a hobby I want to pursue ^_^

5. lol I dont even have a doll ( yet ) and i got my best friend into wanting one too xD and by the looks of it i think shell be getting one before me oh... fml xD but yeah, after showing her the Soom MDs she instantly fell in love x`D shes currently trying to convince her mum to buy one for christmas lol

6. I try to get my friends to accept the hobby, and one did. she ended up buying a small obitsu, and never using it. I was disapointed. Another friend always calls Raun, rain or rune or something.
      It pisses me off to no extent xD

7. Guilty. Happened once to me. Then again, this kid does everything I do with a passion. She bought a crobi, and ended up hating her. Her mom now owns the poor boy.
      On the other hand, I influenced one of my friends into dolls. After seeing my doll, Zac, he couldn't help but do research. He's VERY in love with dolls now and is saving for his first dollie, a delf Yder.

8. This is a bit OT, but I was the one influenced. One of my online friends kept posting pics of her BJD on this site we were both on. At first I thought Damaran was weird, but I came to think he was quite the attractive chap. ^^ I don't think she expected me to be serious about owning one of my own, because I waffled a fair bit. However, I'm a logical person and I have to be sure I want something beore I get it. LTF Elf Ante is now on Layaway, and will soon be making her way home! <3

9. I believe I accidentally influenced everyone I know who is into the hobby (in real life) into it. Most of them I was never worried about. A couple I have been. I feel like for a few maybe it was just a passing fancy sort of thing. Like they wanted one because they could want one. But at the same time, I figure, how could you not love your BJD as soon as you get it and hold it for real?

Another friend I know treats hers sort of like rag dolls. I mean, I know that they're strung with elastic but I tend to treat mine like they're highly valuable and easily breakable objects. WHICH THEY ARE. She isn't very careful when she dresses them and kind of just... Almost tosses them around. I always feel scared when she holds mine that she's going to get them all twisted up (like she has before) or do some permanent damage. It's nerve wracking. I try to keep them close to me when she's around. ><

This person also tends to treat the hobby like a competition. If I talk about getting a new doll she orders one right away as well to make sure she has more than or at least as many as I do. It's a bit unsettling. Or maybe irritating is the better word for it. Either way, I don't know how 'into' the hobby she really is. And ironically she is a person who can afford it more than I can and is actually in a position to go to meets and such. D; Life. lol

11. I got my mom in the hobby, at first it was all very fun to have someone that could understand, but now I kinda regret it because in 1 year she is now at I think 12 dolls (or maybe more) and we don't have place in the house (we didn't have place for 1 or 2 either, but it wasn't so bad)

I'm finding myself less and less interested in dolls because I fear becoming as addicted. so yeah. in my case, I influenced someone that became too serious about them.

12. Ahaha. Yeah. A friend of mine online. I'm not sure if she's been into the dolls before we met, but I think I was kind of the final straw in getting her to at least consider one seriously. She really wanted a DOC Yen last I checked.

The problem comes in that she hardly does her research. I try to explain a lot of things, like the difference between fullsets and basic dolls, and what to expect when they get there. But it doesn't seem to take.

I won't try to dissuade her, and I know she'd be good to them. I just can't shake the feeling that something isn't right.

Besides that, I doubt she will make that leap, even though she really loves Yen. I think the price is a little too steep.

13. I guess in a way I influenced one of my friends, as soon as she saw my dolls all she could talk about was getting one of her own. I was excited when she said she was thinking about buying one but I didn't really encourage her because I had a feeling she would lose interest in a few months and forget about BJD's all together or she would rush into buying a doll and then get bored with it. I told her that she should join DoA and do some research before buying a doll, I wasn't surprised when less than a week later she informed me her doll was on her way nor was I shocked when about a month later she got bored RPing her dolls character she was soon bored with the doll itself. As far as I know she just keeps her doll in it's box underneath her bed.

14. I actually influenced several people. My best friend, she already knows a load about BJDs and is sincerely interested but as for the three other people, I think they just take them as those pretty expensive things. I would feel really bad if their dolls would just sit on the shelf letting the dust fall on them. So I swore to tell those friends all I know XD I want them to really see how wonderful the hobby is. I think they should know since the money they would spend on a doll is a lot in the end.

15. I took my big girl and boy up town with me to meet my friends snd one of my friedns saw them and was like 'I want one now' but i really was like for te love of the doll you would buy no! She can be creless and her brother breaks everythuing and she would loose interest. The doll wouldn't be loved D: I think she wanted one cos of the whole creepy gothic stereo type they got going =.='

16. I got my best friend ever into BJDs, but because of finance problems she wasn't able to get one, so... For her birthday, I bought her a DZ Mo and customized him to be exactly like one of her OCs she wanted to use a DZ Mo to create xD! I was in a very secure money situation, so I wasn't terribly out of pocket.

She bought a puki herself but didn't bond, and sold her again a little while later, but now she's buying a Soom MD Ai :D! I'm so excited for her, and I know she'll let my play with her gorgeous little girl as I save for my Crobidoll Nia :)

So, in my case, the influence was a good influence XD!

17. I have, unfortunately.

A good friend of mine really liked mine, and really wanted one of her own, but would only look at the cheaper dolls on Junkyspot because she didn't like the DDE because they sent her a pair of gift panties for her doll that weren't a color she liked and because she "didn't want to wait that long or pay that much for just a doll."

Now she has a number of "cheaper" dolls and all I hear about is her getting more and more and more, and not playing with the older dolls.

While I can understand not wanting to tempt yourself with more expensive companies, it just seems a little silly to me.

18. A Japanese friend tried to get me into the hobby during my first trip to Tokyo in 2001, however, I was head over heels into building my custom cosplay business at the time. It wasn't until after my daughter was born and I had to find a different direction for my business that I saw the dolls again in a new light. At first I thought they might be a money making opportunity, but after I got my first couple, I discovered 1)the market is flooded with folks trying to make a buck, 2) there's so much discrepancy between the dolls to make stuff that fits generally, and 3) I like dabbling too much to focus on any one thing for too long.