1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

have you ever been disappointed?

Mar 10, 2020

1. Quite a bit of disappointment over the years. Most of the time it was just on my end like it just wasn’t right for the character, but then there were the bigger disappointments.

Like most recently ordering a fairy fullest doll, waiting ten agonizing months with no communication and fighting for a tracking number and finally getting this doll where I discovered they didn’t include her wings. It’s a *fullset* and a dang fairy! I just had an overpriced human with pointy ears and none of the magic. I hated her upon arrival.

Also ordered a hybrid body for her because I hated her body so much but the body I wanted only came with an LE doll from another company. The wait wasn’t long at all but the body didn’t live up to expectations. Now I owned two bodies that had no weight to them and no poseability like my other dolls. I just hated that doll even more after that.

Sometimes it’s just not the right fit and sometimes a problematic transaction can just sour the love for that doll.

2. Untill now I only had problems with wigs and 1 doll.
      Recently I ordered a wig on etsy that had the exact style and color I wanted. Was relatively more expensive so I thought it would have a good quality. Nop. It was all dirty and the fiber’s quality was terrible…and bad as it would ever get.

Another wig was a commission. I specified exactly what I wanted and the artist reassured me they could do it. Not only it didn’t look at all like what I orderd, I hated everything about it…don’t think I’ll ever use it in any of my dolls.

The doll was a Dollzone Dagon Chuan. It not only took more than on year for the doll to be delivered, the company’s faceup was a disgrace! It didn’t look professional at all. I saw owner pictures that look super good, but mine just wasn’t. I couldn’t look at it without feeling extremely angry, so I send it to an artist to mod and repaint it for me. Now he’s as cute as he could be. But all the experience was terrible and stressful.

3. .

#43 Gintsumi, Aug 21, 2021
      Last edited: Feb 28, 2024
    4. Man I sure have...I wanted a Doll Chateau Matthew for years since he came out. I wasn't at all fortunate enough to get one and then he sold out. Years later, just last month, I find one second hand and in great condition. Buy him asap and right after getting him, I'm still in love...until I try to attach his wings. I spent two hours fighting to try and get them on his body and just couldn't do it. I gave up on him ever getting the wings that I fell in love with. He's currently headless so I now have to wait several months for a new head that I ordered to come in and hope that the head brings him together enough for me to love him...otherwise he'll probably be rehomed. It's sad but I don't want to keep something that just isn't what I had hoped for.

5. I feel like certain disappointments wouldn't be as great if things weren't priced so high. I'd be less disappointed by a $10 shirt for my doll than a $30 one. Most of the disappointment comes from buying something expensive and anticipating getting it in the mail, only to open up the box and not like it. Luckily this has only happened with doll face-ups that I can easily change and not the doll itself.

6. When I was working so much I didn’t have time for my dolls and they are in a closed cabinet covered by a thick quilt and in a darkroom with no sun. Some still managed to yellow, I find it’s more company doll related. It’s just a shame, more so disappointing, because I wanted to take more photo’s of them white, and normal skin, with no yellow but time was against me. Even the one in a tight sealed box, mellowed. Even the one I completely sprayed with sealer. So sad.......

7. The idea that light is what causes yellowing is such a terribly misleading thing told to so many people. You can keep your dolls in the darkest, deepest cave, in boxes, sprayed with UV sealant, and they're still going to yellow, because none of those things stop it; it's oxidation. Caused by air, and just aging in general. I keep my dolls in a lit room where I spend time, in lit glass cabinets, where I can see them, and yes, there's been mellowing, but there's no extreme yellowing or uneven yellowing. I find it so sad that people are led to hide their dolls by this misconception; I'm busy, sure, but I can at least passively enjoy my dolls by looking over at the cabinet, and the aging isn't any different than if I was hiding them and forgetting they even exist.

8. So very true, to me though, a few company dolls turned colors more then others so It’s also based on resin as well. Doll Chateau are my worst.

Down with the quilt! lol

9. I've actually been disappointed several times the last couple of years. The first disappointment was a skin tone and size of a doll. I won't say which company or sculpt because others have been happy with this particular doll. The company photos showed a nice natural looking tan. I had not had a tan doll before, so I was eager to branch out. He was also described as being 62cm. That was the height I wanted because at the time none of my SDs are over 62cm.
      He was also the most expansive doll I'd ever bought. So I was expecting perfection. Well. as soon as I opened the box and folded back the satin pillow, I was in shock. I actually started to cry. He was BRIGHT ORANGE. Not a nice tan at all. He was also HUGE. He was 68cm, which to me seemed like a giant. My friend witnessed the unboxing, and she said I looked like I'd just witnessed a car accident. I was in shock and so totally disappointed. It got worse when I tried to return him and the company refused. I eventually sold him, but at a considerable monetary loss.

My next disappointment was when I bought a doll from Denver Doll Emporium which they had in stock. He was a white skin 5 Star Doll Quintus. I guess he had been in stock for quite some time, because when I got him he was so yellowed that he looked like natural skin tone. Fortunately it is an even yellowing, so it wasn't too bad. But little Quintus is a vampire, and that is why I wanted the white skin. I love him anyway.

My most recent disappointment was a doll whose feet turned out to be so big that no shoes would fit her. I also couldn't bond with her, so she was sold. I hope her new owner can find shoes for her. I did warn them about the issue, and they were willing to take a chance.

I guess after 12 years of collecting and having over 30 dolls which I LOVE, those disappointments are not so bad.

I have had very little yellowing with my dolls, even the ones I've had for almost 13 years. I keep them on an open shelf with normal room lighting, but not in direct sunlight. I agree it is likely the different companies which yellow more than others, because of the type of resin. Most of my dolls are from only a couple of different companies. Resinsoul, Bobobie, 5 Star Doll and Fairyland.
      The older dolls are all from 5 Star, and they have barely mellowed.. My Resinsouls and Bobobies have not yellowed in the slightest. My Minifees are all too new to show any yellowing yet, so time will tell.
      As I mentioned in my post above, only a white skinned doll is yellowed, and he came that way when I bought him.

#49 ParlourGoddess, Aug 27, 2021
      Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2021
    10. I've also been disappointed by wigs. Its annoying to spend $20-$30 on a wig, then get it and have it be so thin the wig cap shows from most angles.

11. i ordered a custom wig and i guess i got the measurements wrong cuz it was WAY too small for my dolls head! im trying to stay positive about it though....

12. My first tan doll was a hybrid (ambitious, I know). I was pretty confident the match would be pretty close as both parts were done by the same casting company but in different years. Still though, there was a niggling doubt in my mind it wouldn't look good.

Fast forward to the body's arrival and...the colors were almost exact! But I had been paying so much attention to the coloring I hadn't bothered to check how the head and body would fit together aesthetically! XD Turns out, the head (Seed.Arts Wol) made the body (Summerbird Viola) look almost neckless. My first instinct was to be disappointed, which I was for about an hour, until I remembered Wol is supposed to be a bird. Her lack of neck just kind of fits with her theme now. It's a fun hybrid and I am glad she was my first tan doll!

13. Yes, I've been disappointed a few times. The first was a big one as the doll I bought was not sent to me, the seller refused to refund as well. It left a bad impression on me about the community and the people that collect. PayPal did come through, but I was without the funds for a long time while it was being sorted. The second time was when another collector poorly packaged a doll for international shipment. The doll had damage, and I was never compensated in the least for that damage. The most recent was disappointment in a company. The doll arrived in an undamaged box, but as it was sent strung, some parts were chipped. The company had promised to replace those parts back in April, but I have heard nothing since. I've disappointed myself trying to sew for my dolls, but it was mostly out of sheer ignorance as I know very little about selecting fabric and where seams on clothes actually belong. I still try, and always make sure to have twice the amount of fabric than a project really needs so I have the option to make a practice piece and then make one 'for real'. I also took the time to learn as much as I could about better techniques from asking others and watching videos. If I could hire a private sewing tutor, I would!

14. I ordered a beautiful suit. It need 60 days to wait. But finally I waited 80days, they told me the suit lacks fabric and does not do it anymore.:|

15. I ordered a doll, and waited for 3 months. I was disappointed when I unbox the doll, she is the correct model, but looks very different from the official photo!!
      I tried to love her, but I couldn't. I sold her after she stayed with me 3 months. And i decide not to buy any doll from that company anymore...

16. I had a brief disappointment. One of my dolls in “normal” skin tone was more pale than I expected and her faceup was pale too, she didn’t even look like the right sculpt to me because I was thrown off. I got over it quickly though. As a child character the subtle faceup was not really a problem and only took a tiny enhancement to fix to my liking. Then I realized the resin tone would work for a couple of characters I had in mind so I’m starting to love her when I was afraid I might have to resell her.

17. One doll I spent 6 months on a layaway for was beautiful in the company photos but not as much in person. I still loved the doll though but once a few weeks passed I was already looking to reshell the character. He just didn't work. I kept him for a few years until my grail doll hit the market and I sold him to fund the reshell. I don't regret my decision to reshell him, I love my new boy so much more and fits everything I needed for the character.

I have a new boy incoming that I'm excited to unbox but hopefully I don't feel disappointed. I never saw this brand in person before so Idk how the product is overall.

18. I waited for two years for a doll. She could've been the best doll on the planet and I would've been disappointed after a wait like that but. She's kicky. Posing her is frustrating. She can't share clothes with either of my other two MSDs. Oh, and when I finally got her, I was sick and isolating just-in-case, so that didn't help me feel great while opening her box.

A year later, she's really rather lovely and I have done an okay job customizing her... but it's been real hard to work up the mental energy to do her any kind of justice. :|

19. I bought one doll (I won't say who he was or what company) which I hadn't given a lot of thought to. He was more an impulse than my other dolls. And he was one of the more expensive dolls I'd bought.
      My SDs are all between 58 and 62 centimeters, but this doll was 65cm. I didn't think that would be a problem, since it isn't THAT much taller than my other SDs. I also ordered him in tan.
      The moment I opened the box , I actually cried real tears. He was bright orange instead of a nice tan like in the photos. Also, I had gotten a company faceup, but it looked nothing like the photos. It should have been a mildly masculine faceup, but instead it was very girly, with bright pink lips and heavy eye liner. In addition, when I picked him up, he was very heavy and cumbersome.
      I put him right back in the box and into the shipping box. I was afraid that I would be stuck with him, since BJD companies don't take returns. It felt like I'd been kicked in the gut, considering how much I paid for him. It took a year, but I was finally able to sell him.

20. I had a couple disappointments while attempting to reshell my main OC. Actually, this guy's gone through several different sculpts, but two in particular were more disappointing than the rest. With the rest, the sculpts worked for a decent period of time before I changed them out. These two, however? It was a pretty instantaneous thing.

The first of the two was a lovely sculpt, but the facial features scale-wise were just all off in-person. He felt more bobble-headed than I liked, and the facial features were just too different from the rest of the crew that it was disconcerting. I tried convincing myself to make it work, but I couldn't. I ended up selling that sculpt on.

As for the second—the story isn't all that long or complicated. When the sculpt arrived, the proportions were just too small for my liking. In contrast to the first sculpt, this one would've made my boy look pinheaded. I thought about using the head for a different character (maybe make it a female OC instead), but...it didn't come to fruition. So, like the first—that sculpt was moved on to a new home.