1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever bought a doll whose quality wasn't what you thought it would be?

Nov 16, 2009

1. I have a second hand BBB Ariel and the only thing I can think of that's annoying is her weird wrist joints. She was the first of my dolls that I restrung and based on working with her pieces as I put her back together she seems just as rugged as my other dolls.

2. When I saw this thread I thought 'Oh God, it's mostly going to be about Bobobie...' since I've just decided to buy one and heard bad things about them. The doll is gorgeous though and I'm getting her in lilac, I'm not sure of many other doll companies that do strange skin tones (although that might just be due to me being new at the hobby and being terrible at searching the forum). Finding out it's mostly the stringing is quite a relief though!

My Iplehouse Tatiana came about two weeks ago and you know that tiny part that connects their wrist and hand, sort of like a cresent moon shape? (It probably has a name doesn't it? DX ) Well that keeps falling out on my doll. It's come out about ten times now I think. It's not a big enough deal for me to complain about, although I know one of these days I won't be able to find it again (it almost ended up belonging to the dustbin men the first time.) But if I lose it for good I'll buy a new set of hands... I've been debating getting the mobility body anyway, because I've heard good things about it.

3. well i just got my aod and she has white skin...but three days after i got her she started yellowing.....

4. I don't think your doll is yellowing in the actual sense of it, unless she is being kept in unnaturally hot conditions or in direct sunlight.

Try cleaning her, she might be getting dusty.

5. So far I've been pleased with all mine, but I've only bought from Volks, Luts, ego-project/ndoll, crobi and one leeke head.

6. Yellowing usually takes months or years unless there's sustained direct exposure to the sun or high heat - I wonder what's going on there? I mean yellowing is a natural expected thing especially with white skin dolls, but there's no reason it should be noticeably yellowed in 3 days.

7. Nope. I've never had a doll be less than the quality I expected. Sometimes more, depending on the engineering of the joints or the details of the faceup, but never less.

8. I have or have handled a variety of dolls from different companies. Bobobie/ResinSoul I expected to have issues, due to the price tag, but I've gotten very good at 'fixing' them to the point where all the locals bring their new Bobobie dolls over to my place for a dollie spa session. *grin*

So, Bobobie needing restringing/sueding/s-hooks is a known issue. What really irks me, and continues to do so, is Soom's seamlines. x_x I might not care so much if he wasn't my most expensive doll, but all of my less expensive dolls came to me sanded, and he's grey-skin so I can't sand him myself. Mergh. I still haven't figured out why, if cheap little Bobobie can figure out how to make sandable colored resin, the big fancy companies can't too. :P

The other thing that surprised me recently was a DIM head. I'd gotten an event elf off the Marketplace a few months back, and I loved the sculpt so much I got another one. Only the second one has extremely rough resin. I'm baffled, since it's an identical sculpt and a limited run, so there shouldn't have been any changes from one head to the other. Or so one would think.

9. I just order an Asleep Eidolon Mo this morning, and am impatiently waiting to see how she stands up next to other minis, especially my friend's ResinSoul Ju, who is the reason I want a mini girl to begin with. AE is another rather inexpensive brand, but I've never seen one up close, and can't wait.

If one of your dolls is stained, it might just have been picked up from the clothing it has or even the chair it's sitting on. Get a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (don't get another brand, it has to be Mr. Clean since the formula is doll-friendly) and some Ispropol Alchohol in the highest percentage you can find.

When you take you doll apart to restring it, give it a good scrub using the eraser and the alchohol. It should take off any dirt, dust, and most of the staining. I say most, since, if it's just natural yellowing that's causing it, you'll need to sand it away. It's best to look up a tutorial on that if it comes to it, since resin dust is toxic.

Before you think it, this is how you would take care of any doll of any brand of any price. A doll from SOOM would need the same exact treatment as a BBB to end up stained nad damged, and in turn cleaned and cared for, BBB dolls just initially cost much less.

It sounds more to me that it wasn't that your doll's quality was low so much as you didn't completely know what you were getting into. BJDs are a heck of a lot more finicky and hands-on than most hobbies, and you likely would've faced the same issues with any doll line, except maybe the loose stringing out of the box.

Just to give you another example, I'm expecting my upcoming AE Mo to be very tightly strung, since they have a habit of doing that with their slim Mini bodies. I'm probably going to have to restring her out of the box to loosen her up, but maybe not. Every doll brand has it's quirks.

I agree with the seam line thing. It baffles me that one company sands them all down without issue, and another charges $80 extra for it, or even not at all. I would be flat out pissed to spend $600 on a doll and have it come unfinished. I hate sanding. It's dangerous without proper equipment!

10. So far what I know about dolls (And I'm still fairly new to the hobby too.) is that Bobobie does the BIGGEST array of colours of any doll maker. They're resin is also dyed all the way through where as some makers simply surface dye, which doesn't dye the resin all the way through and can be damaged and scratched off... So I know thats one thing that bobobie is well known for an something that is impressive about them.

11. I've never had what I would consider quality issues with any of my dolls, and it's not unusual to have to make changes to a doll's stringing to get optimum posability--especially when optimum posability is different for each person. Some people like their dolls a little looser other prefer very tight. A lot comes down to personal preference, unless your talking about serious ongoing issues (unusual discoloration, brittle resin, dolls arriving with actual damage etc).

I don't consider stringing a quality issue, and posability can depend a lot on the owner. I've never had any of my Bobobies discolor in a weird way (actually, their colored resins seem to hold up really well), and no breakages--not even their skinny little fingers. That's not to say that on one will ever have problems--no company can claim that. But I wouldn't say they have quality problems either. The best thing a person can do is research the dolls they're thinking about buying so they know what to expect, and whether the doll is likely to match their own needs. Dolls from different companies all have their own quirks, and part of getting a doll to work well for you comes from figuring those quirks out.

12. All my dolls are from Dream of Doll (MSDs) and Luts (SDs). Excellent quality (that's why I only buy from them) or I'm just lucky that I've never had any problem with them. I have a 5 year-old DOD who's in perfect condition. He still even has his default face up which looks as perfect as the first day he arrived, has not yellowed at all and he's my favorite of all my dolls <3

13. You must have gotten a a weird resin batch. My sprite has fallen on her hands a lot (concrete, hardwood floors....She doesn't like sitting nicely...D:) And her fingers are still in tact.

14. I never had Bobobie.

However I have had other dolls from other doll companies which were not to my expectations. I have sold them since.

15. I must have... I was really thinking that I must have gotten a bad batch of resin.
      While his resin colour is just gorgeous, hes so fragile I get scared to handle him a times or take him in risky places where even the smallest fall could break something on him...

16. I'll more then likely be selling my Bobobie Apollo once I get market access. I've tried to sell him on some other sites but no luck.

17. I love Bobobie! I have a Sprite, an Ariel, two March's and a Nissa so far. White, tan, pink, blue and regular. Never had any weird unexplainable stains or broken fingers so far and mine are handled and loved and dressed regularly by a 5 year old. Yes they are strung loose but I'm not complaining, I'd rather them be to loose than to tight, they can always be adjusted or restrung. :D No seams, and the resin feels really good to the touch. I ordered Ju today and I can't wait, I love every one of mine.

18. Actually, this happened to me too, with a WS Bobobie 1/4 girl I had a year ago. Within days of having her she was notably yellowing. She'd been sitting next to my other dolls (one of them also WS from another company) on a desk, with no sun exposure at all and started yellowing. My other dolls were completely unchanged. I really doubt this is "dust" but probably some weird batch of resin.

I really don't see how someone can be disappointed with Bobobie. I mean their official pictures are so bad it's all uphill from there right? Plus their posing and stringing issues are widely discussed so most people know about them already. I personally don't like their dolls, but I knew what I'd be getting so it was "expected" and not a disappointment or a shock.

19. I once was so disappointed in the quality of a doll that I ended up selling her not even a couple of months since I got her.

This doll was incredibly floppy, had elastic that was way too thin for her tall body (and no room in the channels for thicker elastic), her fingers were rough and had terrible flash left over from the molding process, she had been strung with lanyard hooks (ouch!!) and there were visible bubbles everywhere. Not to mention the obvious sanding the company tried to do on a tan doll :doh I tried to bond with her by attempting to replace the lanyards with proper s-hooks and hot glue sueding her, but nothing worked out right. I ended up just laying her on the floor, bald and naked, in a heap since I couldn't get her to sit any other way. The pitiful thing was just so ugly to me compared to her gorgeous promo photos!

I won't name the company this doll came from but the hints are there... this experience tainted my ever buying from this company again.

20. Just to randomly mention that Angel of Dream's white skin is not WHITE white, it is cream white, so it has a yellow tint to it anyway. I have a WS AoD head on a Soom CW body and they are both slightly yellow. The AoD head had been sitting around in half sun (my room lies right where the sun rises in the morning) for four months before the Soom body arrived and they still matched perfectly.

That is a point, I did have a bit of an iffy experience with my Soom doll too. His elastics both broke after one doll meet and were frayed beyond repair. On restringing him I found that the channel in his right leg hand not been finished off properly and at a point there was a chunk of resin blocking half the channel, so I couldn't get any elastic of the right thickness through it. He's strung with elastic right now that is meant to be used on tinies such as bobobie and puki, not a 28cm doll, its much too thin. This is until I can work out how to remove this resin blocking the channel.