1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever bought a doll whose quality wasn't what you thought it would be?

Nov 16, 2009

1. Well, when i brought Purple (a Bluefairy Olive) her back and ass were covered in bruise-like stains and kind of dirty. Plus i was surprised at how unposeable she was.
      But i kept the stains because they gave her character (not to mention that i later found out they were almost impossible to clean...)

2. I was so disappointed by the quality of my Notdoll Roxy Lucy that she was the first BJD I sold on to someone else.

The head cap didn't match up properly around the head, fitting with a ridge and a gap (yes, covered by the wig, but an indication of poor quality in the sculpting of the pieces), the sculpt of the hands and feet was very basic (like a cheap vinyl doll) and the design of the joints (and hence the posing) was awful... although wiring did help that a lot. I know there are others out there who love them, and they do have a lovely face-sculpt and overall shape, but the quality was a shock and I never really settled to liking her as a result.

Teddy

3. I've never been disappointed by a doll itself, honestly... there are just a few things that bothered me when I got them and still kind of bother me. Anne has huge ol' seamlines of resin doom (though I wouldn't dream of getting rid of them as long as they aren't hurting me or snagging clothing - they give her more character!). Theron's wig is not the one that was in the sale photos on the website, and he's a limited edition fullset. I've since cut the wig a little and I love it to pieces now. Nobody told me white skin will get DIRTY so easily. @.@ He isn't stained, just... dirty. Dirty boy, dirty dirty dirty... :lol:

On the topic of Bobobie, I've gotten to play with two, one of which was fresh out of the box and belonged to my friend. She (an Elena) was nice, but incredibly floppy. The faceup was actually much nicer than I expected! I didn't notice any different feel to her resin and there wasn't any discoloration, but my friend has apparently decided to sell her and I don't know why - even though her body was kind of blah, she was still pretty in the face. The other one I played with was a Mei, and she was just so adorable! She also took three nosedives off a table at a con and was fine. I probably wouldn't ever own a Bobobie myself (I've been spoilt by SOOM and Dollmore), but the dolls I've handled are actually not that bad.

4. I've not noticed any problems with discolouration of my BBB/RS dolls. I live in a hot climate (15.7C/60F - 29.01C/84F averages) and don't have airconditioning or anything else to protect my dolls from the heat and expect them to yellow faster, however after having had my first two since January they still seem to be in an excellent condition.

5. The domuya flexibody Lord Alikaj's head is on has the worst quality of all my dolls, but I expected it too since it was the cheapest. I was disappointed about the company, though; had to wait over three months for them to ship just 1 body. It is the main reason I never want to deal with them again.

All my other dolls are perfect to me, they exceeded my expectations by far.

6. I bought a Machina by Batchix, one of the first ones that were made by Batchix herself. In retrospect I don't think I was prepared for the difference between a home cast and a professionally cast doll. My doll has a lot of bubbles and flash and uneven seams. The headcap doesn't sit well and the knees and elbows don't sit well either.

In particular the elbow joint has design problems where it tends to pop out a lot and I worry about the popping's effect on the resin.

She was expensive too, which is part of getting an artist doll I guess.

I love my doll, buy if I had to do it all over again I'm not sure if I would buy her again or not...

7. I ordered an AE Lian Rong from MintonCard yesterday (on 6 months layaway, so it will be a while). I'm curious about how they compare as well.

8. Yeah, my first is AE mini slim. It's not that I don't like the quality...i don't like how they restring it! too tight! It was so hard for me to pose her especially the hand...akh! (I broke the hands...thankgoodness, the selle (Lindsey) is so sweet and helped me to get a new hand)

9. I've had a couple of dolls arrive recently whose quality surprised me a great deal -- and it was not what you would expect (that is, not one of the more inexpensive brands). The one that was the biggest disappointment to me was an Elfdoll boy. My first 3 Elfdoll boys and the one that belongs to my daughter all have that wonderful, smooth to the touch, heavy, dense resin that I had come to associate with Elfdoll. My tan K felt different, but not "cheap". The newest boy, though... The resin feels thin, it squeaks, and it just feels like what people erroneously think of when they think of the low-price companies.

Ick, basically.

He's still gorgeous but I don't know if I can keep him, truthfully.

10. This topic was not about expensive or not. That is another thread.

To answer the question, YES I was once let down by a doll. I bought a Glory Doll Lucy and a few months after she was in my house parts of her body started to yellow very quickly while other parts stayed peachy. It was the weirdest thing! Her upper arms, upper torso, and legs looked more and more yellow and the difference was unquestionable to the naked eye. Her hands looked like they came from a totally different body because the color was so different from the arms. She also came with a strange imperfection in the resin...sort of a dark line on her upper arm that was deep in the resin.

And no I did not love her or her resin problems "to bits". I sold her to someone who had plans to mod her and use her head for a hybrid. I would not buy a doll from Glory Doll again although I still think Lucy is a unique and beautiful sculp! I was just unlucky with the one I purchased. :doh

11. I had the same issues with my Lucy, I just couldn't fall in love with her because I found it nearly impossible to make her pose into even the most simple positions. She had a gorgeous face, but I couldn't stand not being able to "play" with her.

I have three dolls cast by bobobie and they are of a great quality, I think they are nicer than my FairyLand doll and certainly nicer than the Roxydoll I once owned. Stringing will need to be done on any bbb/rs, but that is merely a mechanical problem and not one of quality. I actually like how loose my Bobobie weylin's strings came to me, he is super cuddly and I can't bear to restring him because of it. I also love that Bobobie sand their doll's seam lines, I HATE seams and the fact that other companies don't sand the seams is what really turned me off to them and on to Bobobie, Dollzone and Elfdoll

12. I bought a doll here on the marketplace because I loved her head mold and her face. I got her and she just... wasn't what I was expecting (especially given what company she is!). I hated her body, I hated her stringing, and just never quite bonded with her. It didn't help that the back of her head cap is too big for her and has to be scotch taped on so it doesn't go flying all over the place. She's yellowed quite a bit more than I was expecting given I've only had her for a year and I don't think she's *that* old.

I'm debating selling her, just because I don't like anything about her except her face up. :(

13. My very first 60cm bjd was a Bobobie Pandora. Not knowing exactly what to expect, I was a little disappointed in her loose stringing. I sent her off for a (stunning) faceup. I think each day she lost what stringing she had until she was a total flop. I sent her away to get restrung. It didn't work. I sent her off to another person to restring her. That didn't work either. I took her head off and put it on an AOD body and now she's perfect. Her original body is going in to the garbage - where it has always belonged, IMHO.
      Pati

14. That sucks *_* don't throw the body away though, there's always someone out there who will buy it.

15. A Dollzone doll that I bought left me very disappointed. His face-up was NOTHING like the promo pics. I don't know if that's really a quality issue but it was extemely disappointing after waiting months for him. The only other doll I was very disappointed in was a a Domuya Michele that I bought secondhand. Her stringing was so loose that she wouldn't even sit up. It wasn't the seller's fault, I found out that was typical of Domuya's Flexi-body & everyone I've seen since has had that same problem. The stringing channel in the resin is too small to use an appropriate size elastic so even with sueding & wiring, they tend to be floppy. No more Domyuas for me.

Weirdly enough, all my Bobobies have been fine but then I've only bought the smaller ones.

16. Forgive my n00bishness, but what does "flash" refer to?

And are there any like, esthetics threads or anything with example pics of bubbled resin and uneven seams and that sort of thing?

17. My DIM R-ASIAM is everything but perfect. The resin on his head and hands is uneven, he came poorly stringed and his arm joints are very bad made. If I would want to let him stand or pose I would have to put a wire through his body.

But of course I love him very much.

18. I've had a couple like this, most recently my littlefee who came to me in an appalling state straight from Fairyland, flashing and seam lines so sharp they cut me, dirt embedded in the resin, just dreadful quality issues from a company that's taken on too much.

My other HUGE quality disappointment was an Unoa. SO not worth either the money or the effort, the resin looks, feels and behaves like cheap plastic, the engineering is suspect at best and they just feel horrible! I honestly don't understand, having owned one, why so many people are prepared to pay $700+ for one!

19. I had issues with my second FCS order from Volks, actually, an MSD F19. The first doll arrived with a shiny face. I sent it back. The second time the doll arrived with a shiny nose. But, the strange thing is I could see the shiny nose in my apartment and not at Sato. I had to send a picture by email since Volks refused to do the face-up again and only added a ton of coating (but the issue was with the base coating so this did very little to help the situation). I simply couldn't be bothered to complain anymore and will probably get new face-ups a couple years from now.

I have a 2008 and a 2009 FCS and I find the 2009 to be shinier and more prone to rubs on the resin, to be honest. I'm not necessarily unhappy with her now (she's my avatar and even with the slight nose rub I adore her). But, it surprised me to receive a shiny faced doll from Volks and then have to complain... and then complain again. The price increased by $50/5000 yen between my purchases but I'm not convinced the quality went up. But, perhaps there are unseen improvements with the resin formula.

20. BoBobie was one of my first dolls. An MSD, stringing was really the only problem I've had with him. It's not really a matter of quality just something I've come to expect with most dolls that I get in.
      The doll whi's quality surprised me was my Angel of Dream Jimi. He's a gorgeous doll but his headcap is too large! I don't know what happened there but it comes off around his head on all sides a considerable amount, much more then any of my other dolls! It's a tiny nitpick but I was suprised that they send their products out like that...
      The doll who's quality I was most dissoppointed in was my Abio Angel. I should have read a lot more about them but his ability to pose is really quite limited that's to a horrible thought out sholder joint. He can't really touch his face without his elbow joint popping way out. His hand are also uncharastically huge and don't sit well within the wrist joints. Compared to my other SD's that came after, all Dollzones and an Abio Angel, he's the most dissoppointing one.