1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever bought a doll whose quality wasn't what you thought it would be?

Nov 16, 2009

1. Sadly yes. When I first got back into the hobby a couple years ago I was yearning for a Unoa girl so as I was pursuing Ebay someone was selling and the pics were a little dark but hey, she looked good, came with all the extra faceplates and the person was selling her because she got a new one and she swore up and down that she hadn't yellowed at all. Me today would have never ever gone for it simply because of the age and the bad photos, but anywho, she came home and I pulled her out of her box and bam, hello yellow doll. She's a 1.0 Unoa Lusis so again, if it was me now and not a couple years ago I wouldn't have gotten her. I also paid $700 for this doll only to find her dirty and pretty darn yellow. I still have her and she sit's in the box. I feel dumb about it now because I feel like she'll never sell even though I've tried whitening her.. nothing wrong with the doll at all but the quality of her when I received her was poor and this is mostly my own fault. :doh Never again Ebay!

2. Um, only twice and it was the same company. Overall I think Miro dolls are good buys for the money but twice now I've gotten a doll with some issues that vexed me a little. The first time it was just extra resin between the fingers. I managed to file it out so problem solved mostly. But the second doll, a Rain, he's been a real problem. His knees are just annoying. I've never had to wire a doll before or suede one but I am about to try it with him. He cannot sit well with crossed legs. He cannot stand because his knees just collapse. Most of my other Miro dolls do all that pretty well, but not this one. He's just a very clumsy doll overall. I'm, kind of working it into his backstory. Since he's supposed to be a giant I'm going to make his clumsiness a part of his nature....

3. Yes :D i got my doll leaves Amara and although i havent owned any other bjds just yet, her wuality was much nicer than i thought. I guess this is more of a positive experience though.

4. First I have to say I have a realpuki that I adore however fairyland has some quality control issues. The main issue is thin resin. My realpuki has a visible magnet in one of her hands (and not just visible it's actual showing like you can touch the round magnet) one of her feet you can see the magnet but it's still covered with resin, it's just thinner where the magnet is. Bambicrony also had issues with their colored resin bUT it was more they'd sand the seams and then have white splotches where the seams were. Those were the 2 company dolls that seemed to have quality issues.

5. Absolutely. My first doll, a Magic Time Rachel, was not worth the $300 dollars I paid for her at all. She was poorly strung, the resin looked and felt like plastic, and the headcap system actually made me hate her. Never again.

6. For as long as I've been in the hobby and as many dolls I've bought/traded for, there have definitely been a few that disappointed me. The ones that stand out the most in my mind:

-MiroDoll. I felt like I got an unfinished kit instead of a completed doll. She couldn't stand, she had some bad seams and some uneven sanding, her posing wasn't good, and I didn't like her resin color. The head didn't sit right on the neck. I was able to fix some of the issues, but not enough to enjoy her, so I traded her. However, for what she cost, I guess it wasn't that horrible. Sometimes, you do get what you pay for.

-DragonDoll. I got one of the Uncle guys when they were a new company, and his feet were flat! Like not sculpted at all, just cut flat on the bottom like an action figure. I believe they've since fixed this. I also felt like his face was sort of 'mashed', and it didn't look like that in the sales photos. The faceup was entirely different too. He was one of the first dolls I ever sold.

-Dollzone. Nothing in particular was wrong with my Mo, but I was shocked and thought there was. My first doll had been an Angel of Dream Chen, who had very sculpted muscles, was double jointed, and had a more realistic face sculpt. DZ Mo was my second, and his body had no definition (he's just soft and sort of immature!), single jointed and his face was more anime stylized. I thought his joints weren't finished, that they forgot to carve them or something! And his nose was pointy with drilled holes for nostrils, and I thought they forgot to finish sculpting him. XD Now I know he's just a completely different style of doll, but at the time, I didn't realize BJDs varied so much. I was especially shocked that he cost $55 more than my AoD and was 'unfinished'! At first, I was so disappointed, but in time, I really learned to love him. I had him for about 6 years before I sold him off.

7. My most negative experience was with Fairyland. I had always bought their dolls second hand so I knew if there were any imperfections. The first time I buckled down and bought a new doll from them, I got a scratched up, discolored mess. It was a tan Liria, so marking was expected, but the cracks and scratches all over the doll almost made me return it. :/

On the positive side, my most surprising positive experience was with Lillycat. Everything, down to the customer service and sculpting, was beautiful and amazing. I love lillycat dolls and have zero fear of receiving a bad product.