1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever disliked a sculpt or company and then ended up falling in love with it?

Jun 10, 2016

1. I was... Lillycat!
      I thought “what an ugly body!”
      Now I have two of them and wanna more :kitty1

2. All the volks doll was one that i didnt like and i never thought i would have the volks doll in my house. I thought it's just expensive and not my type. especially the promotion picture for old famous volks sculpts looked scary to me. however when I saw Tohya from my friend, I searched all markets and had him in a week I searched.
      my friend still make joke about it cuz i always told her that i would never have Volks doll in my doll fam, and I did :frownyblush:

3. When I was looking for my first doll, I saw Resinsoul and Bobobie recommended as a good lower cost starter doll. I didn't get one though, because the stock photos of them are so awful. After seeing some owner photos, I fell in love with their aesthetic. Now I have three and have another couple I'm thinking of getting from them.

4. Doll Chateau. When I first entered the hobby I thought they looked bizzare and something out of nightmares but they've grown on me, mostly because of how different they are.

5. Iplehouse. And now I have one on the way.

6. 100% agree with the Doll Chateau. I used to think they were creepy, but now I have one and am eyeing another.

7. Yes! I'm actually really susceptible to this, I think part of it is I have an initial reaction then I get desensitized to that reaction after seeing them a few times. Add in a few brilliant owner pics and suddenly I'm in love :lol:

There are a few that I find really unattractive at the moment, don't really want to say which incase I offend anyone and I dislike them so much I'm actually afraid I might end up liking them (I know myself too well!) :lol::lol:

8. I used to not like sarubias since (in my opinion) the company photos are unappealing and don’t really show how nice of a sculpt it is. But my sarubia is the gem of my collection now<3 I could also say the same about a lot of resinsoul sculpts. I’ve never liked how they look ok the website but some of the owner pics I’ve seen are gorgous

9. Definitely! I strongly disliked Soom Heliot and couldn't understand why people think this sculpt is beautiful. Look who's in my avatar now :lol: He's one of my favorites.

10. Doll Chateau. I really, really disliked the skinny bodies. They looked so unatural and pit creepy to me. Than I saw Colin! He has such gentle, unusual face.
      The bodies no longet bother me, I got used to the aesthetic and stylization. They actually go well with the heads.

11. A lot for me. At first, I hated DC's wrists, but I've fallen in love with them, and have more than one grail. I also hated Momonis, surprisingly, just something about their faces and bodies irked me. But now my second highest grail is a momonita! I think a lot of my dislike stemmed from being young, and not liking "atypical" body shapes, because I was insecure about myself too. I also just wasn't into stylized bodies, but I can't for the life of me figure out why. Dolls that are too cookie cutter all look boring to me, if I have multiple. I love variation in bodies!

12. While it wasn't a specific sculpt that I hated - I have never like vampire teeth. I didn't think vampire BJDs were scary or anything, but I just didn't like how the teeth looked. Naturally, I have 3 vampire BJDs now and one more on the way -_- My opinion probably changed after seeing custom faceups on them, but otherwise, I don't really know why I changed my mind!

13. I used to not be fond of Luts Bory until I followed some people on Insta who has that sculpt (turns out that it looks amazing styled with a long wig that frames the face, ha....). I can definitely see why the sculpt is so popular now... It has a melancholic look to it which makes stand out

14. Fairyland Minifees. I couldn't stand them years ago. But I'm planning on buying two boys and a girl in 2020. So there's that.

15. The first time I clapped eyes on Granado's sculpts they were too realistic. After seeing so many other anime-ish dolls they were way into the uncanny valley, did not like. After a few weeks I warmed to them. Now they easily one of my favorite companies.

16. I don't really hate or dislike any sculpt at all, since I think each sculpt has its own beauty, it is just me that not realize it or not yet in my taste.

However, I tend to fall in love with unpopular sculpts than popular ones from the same company. For example, recently, I love Ryuzo sculpt from Switch, even though Soseo/Seolrock (my friend told me that) they are the popular high-demand sculpts from Switch.

17. I really didn't like Doll Chateau at first. I thought their body shapes kind of glamourized or fetishized anorexic bodies.

Then I realized how lovely their faces are and how many of them break the beauty norms, and the bodies started growing on me. I kind of see them now as cartoonish, not purposefully idealizing a dysmorphic body type.

18. Didn't care too much for Resinsoul at first, but then when I started looking at characters people have made with their Resinsoul dolls, I fell very quickly in love with them! I'm even thinking about buying their Tang in the future.

19. Yes. Doll Chateau. I thought those dolls are very strange. Now four years later I start layaway on a DC girl and like many other sculpts from them.

20. I didn't like Volks Suigintou at first. I loved the character, but their dolly interpretation seemed too realistic, not anime enough. Now she's one of my grails. However, I'm once more kinda falling out of love, just because I don't have a character for her (both character ideas I had for her were shelled by other dolls), and she's SO hard to get a legitimate copy of. I still love seeing owner pics and one-off pics of her, though.