1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever disliked a sculpt or company and then ended up falling in love with it?

Jun 10, 2016

1. Absolutely! I remember when Dollshe Orijean came out (so long ago now) and I really just couldn't like him. I don't know why as he is such a unusual sculpt. I think he created such a strong reaction in me that I never really forgot about him and over the years I decided that I had to have him! Thanks to the huge discount offered by Dollshe at present I have finally ordered him in a beautiful translucent white resin, ahhh so dreamy! :love

2. I actually have a few...

Dollzone - I felt the upper lips on their dolls were too darn huge. I loved everything else about them but the style of their lips and it bugged me like crazy. I'm used to them now and actually find them quite artistically pretty. I wouldn't mind getting a female doll of theirs sometime in the future.

Doll Love - Their eyes seemed much too huge for their heads, especially for the bigger dolls, and I didn't like their super soft looking chins. But when wifey brought home a Brian from them, I realized they're much more beautiful in person. Now I look at their stuff every week. XD

This is gonna sounds strange, but... Iplehouse - Don't get me wrong, I loved how mature and aesthetic their sculpts are, but for some reason I was turned off by it all, too. It could be because I'm used to the younger-looking MSDs. Lately though, I've learned to appreciate them.

Contrary to what a lot of others have said, I actually found Doll Chateau to be one of my favorite companies as far as sculpts go. XD I'm SUPER picky about heads and bodies. So if there's a joint I don't particularly like or an aspect of the face that doesn't get my heart pattering, it can really break my interest in the doll quickly.

3. Sort of, only with me it was with YoSDs and tinies in general rather than any sculpt or company in particular. They seemed so cutesy, and so pricey for the size. I couldn't understand what the appeal was. I didn't want a resin child. Except, I kinda did, because my favorite OC is a child. So I kept looking at the smallest dolls, just out of curiosity...and then I found her. Littlefee Dark Elf Soo. I fell head over heels.

So now I have 4 Yo-sized dolls. And yeah, the DES is totally my child.

4. Cerise Doll Lily Cats.

I'm not a big fan of the animal type BJDs, and I thought that the Lily Cats were just over grown cats. But they're actually very very beautiful! :love

5. Oh my god, literally yesterday I suddenly realised that Dollshe Orijean is completely heartbreakingly beautiful after years of being kinda "eh" about it!

6. It is not a specific sculpt that I used to dislike but more every head with either elf ears or vampire teeth would make me back away. Now, although I would never buy one for my own collection as all my characters are human characters, I still have learned to appreciate their beauty.

7. Well, Volks - I hate their marketing (cause, Japanese international marketing 'strategies' are basically maddening) and I didn't like the basic aesthetics at first. But someone was selling a Kanata in the MP and I liked his look plus the price - so got him. LOVE the quality of the resin, the stability and posing. I still only like a few of the sculpts, but when I like one - well, I plunked down REALLY serious cash for a Ryoma...and love him to bits! However, still upsets me that Volks still doesn't see me as a 'legitimate' doll owner when THEY made it so hard to get one straight from them....

8. Absolutely! Some dolls are an acquired taste. At first you think WTH and then later you find them totally interesting.

9. I used to hate Hamin from Supia doll and now I think she's adorable. When I met volks something similar happened, I didn't like any sculpt but now I love their girls and still don't like the boys

10. I never really liked DollChateau due to their unique sculptures but as time passes by as I scroll down my FB,
      My BJD agent who was an official agent for DC kept posting new upcoming dolls from them.

Their designs are amazingly unique and I never would have thought to be admiring their designs as time goes! :XD:

11. I've always found DollChateau and DollZone dolls and sculpts to be creepy and even scary... Then recently I fell in love with one of the DollZone boys, Gray, and suddenly I'm looking at all of them in a different way ;~;
      I still have some problems with DollChateau though >.<

12. I never liked DC line, but I fell in love with a few of them now. I really want Bella. I think she's really cute. I know why I didn't like DC was the long bodies with the extra joints. Now I can't wait to get one. The more you don't like one it seems them more you need it. lol

13. Definitely Doll chateau! I just thought they were too weird and unrealistic looking but then I started looking at them with a more open mind. I found that I love Bella! I probably will never get her as I only collect Sd dolls. Recently I bought DC Katherine which was an event doll that they had in stock on Alice's Collections. She arrived yesterday and I absolutely LOVE her. She is supposed to be a Christmas present for my daughter but I might have to keep her for myself.
      The other company is Dollshe Craft. I just did not see what was so special. I am starting to appreciate them more though after seeing owner pics and videos.

14. I used to not be a big fan of the Doll Chateau bodies, but I've come to love their uniqueness and elegance. It's super charming!

15. Strangely I disliked Fairyland Roke and then about 6 months ago. Bam- he was added to my ever growing wishlist XD

16. I used to hate Peak's Woods dolls because I felt like their faces were too flat. Now I'm waiting for my PW MSD to come in.

17. I wasn't a huge fan of Lati Yellows at first, except for maybe one or two of them. Then I got one from a friend (actually probably my least favorite sculpt from them at the time) and totally fell in love with her. Now she's my little angel! :love I also wasn't a huge fan of the Pixie sculpt from BBB, but then I found some really rad owner pictures and realized she had a lot of potential to be adorable~ :blush

18. Yes...I don't like Volks at the first time because their faces always fat...But now, Volks is my favorite doll company, haha!

19. I entered the hobby when the old CP Delfs were at their peak popularity, especially Shiwoo and El, and I was seeing them everywhere. And I just didn't get it. I couldn't see the appeal in either sculpt, couldn't see myself ever wanting either, much less buying one... And now I own exactly two secondhand Delfs, and you'll never guess which two. :lol: I also have both as LTFs, one as a MNF (with the other on my wishlist!), and would love to get both in other sizes, too.

I also couldn't stand Doll Chateau when I first saw them. I actually couldn't close the page fast enough! But I looked again, and the more I looked, the more I saw their weirdness as appealing. I'm not sure I'll ever get one, since they don't fit with my collections, but now I love seeing what people are doing with them!

20. DollZone has sort-of been that way for me... I've liked their stranger "creatures" for quite awhile, but didn't care at all for their human dolls. The way they sculpt faces just generally doesn't appeal to me.

And yet...
      I keep finding myself going back and looking at Robin again.

I can't for the life of me figure out what it is about THAT particular face that's appealing, out of all the guys they've done. But I can't deny that there's something that's moved him from the "Yet another pointy-lipped, droopy-eyed Nope"-category onto my "He might make an interesting addition to the crew"-list.

I'm still not 100% sold, and may not be for a few more years... He's a big doll and my cabinet space is very, very limited these days... But even having him up for consideration is a pretty big change.