1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever disliked a sculpt or company and then ended up falling in love with it?

Jun 10, 2016

1. RS/BBB actually had me on the fence. I had dolls of theirs I really wanted but never really knew if I wanted them or not. Then I found my Song on the marketplace and fell in total love. Then I saw more owner pictures of sculpts I had previously looked at and that was it.

There's other dolls I'd like but right now they're just too expensive to justify.

2. I really didn't like a lot of the older Delfs when I first joined the hobby (back then eLuts was like...THE place you bought dolls) Shiwoo and Soony specifically. Now I'd love to own them both. I also really disliked Dollshe Saint and now I think he's one of my favorite male sculpts. Tastes change!

3. I feel you 100%, even down to Ninon changing the way I saw Lilycat dolls. I made the last payment on my Ninon this morning, actually. I know her body proportions are unconventional, but somehow she's still flawless to me.

4. That happened with me with the venitu I hated him in the beginning but after a few owner pics I was obsessed and the same thing with dc I hated them but now I find myself loving a lot of their newer sculpts

5. I've had an experience kinda like that I guess. My first doll was a minifee Chloe, but pretty soon after I got her I realized I'd sort of subconsciously chose her just because of her popularity and some part of me thought that she had to be the doll I should get and I shouldn't keep looking. Very silly of me, but hey, I was 13, so can you really blame me? Overall that doll frustrated me to no end for that reason and quite a few others, so I sold her and went through a long period of really destesting Fairyland. Evantually I got over that, and now here I am years later having bought my grail doll, a feeple60 Celine haha. (She could be shipped any day now, I'm so excited :D)

6. Fairyland Celine. I absolutely hated her. I wasn't into teeth, I didn't like her duckish lips and just... No. I wasn't getting her. Then my friend found a Celine for sale bought her. I was floored with how beautiful she was and just instantly had to have one. So I did. And I love my Sloane.

7. I will admit, I didn't like Doll Chateau very much when I first heard of them. I thought their sculpts were outright weird, and just couldn't get into them. Every time I saw an unboxing thread, my question was always "But WHY, though??"

They started growing on me when I thought about what the character designs would look like as illustrations. Artistically, they're beautiful dolls, in a very goth-y pretty way. I began to understand. I also noted that their long and lanky proportions reminded me very much of one of my most beloved mangas' art styles. I still didn't think I'd ever buy one of their dolls, though.

I went on their site for the first time in ages, and lo and behold, there goes Snowborn. My first thought was "Oh, he's cute! What's weird about him." :huh?:

He had four legs in the company photos, that's what was weird about him, but I loved the fullset wig, and the faceup/body blush are wonderful-- those freckles! And now he's on layaway (With a human body, not the elf one-- I will accept that I'm not the most exciting and whimsical doll collector) and I could die from the excitement.

Good job, Doll Chateau, good job. _(:3 」∠)_

8. For me, it's Volks Pearl. I thought I really liked Volks doll with dolly look (big eyes, chubby cheeks) so she wasn't my type but I slowly fell in love with her...! Even though I don't have her right now I wish to have Pearl as boy&girl twin someday... :pout:

9. fifth motif venitu. never imagine im gonna like him till i saw photos from other collectors n bam i bought him

10. Unoa. I didn't like them for quite a long time, and then I found one with an amazing faceup and now I like Unoas. ^^

11. Congrats on getting one! She is amazing. Her unconventional body proportions I think are what makes her very special and unique.

12. I’m in the same boat as everyone that mentioned Doll Chateau dolls. Oh man, did I ever not get them at all. I was initially creeped out by the long limbs BUT THEN I couldn’t stop staring at each sculpt and kept finding these amazing little details.

I was ultimately reminded of Lori Earley paintings which I love so now I’m hooked. LOL

13. Absolutely. I got a few weird looks when I told my friends that I found the perfect doll, and they saw her. She's just so elegant and ethereal~

14. Many a time! Quite often it is the official faceups such as the odd painting of the lips and eyes which mask the sculpt. The only company I can really mention is Soom, but that is because I visit their site the most and due to photography habits. I have regretted on these past not getting a couple of a sculpts after seeing box opening/ owner pics.

And then the minimee realistic sculpts as they were so different at the time... Until I got hooked myself after seeing possibilities, and of course the ubiquitous owner pics :)

15. Omg yes. Not one or two, but so many!

16. I honestly didn't like the Dollshe Grown Saint when I first saw it. I have no idea why. Over time, I have loved it more and more and considered getting him for a long time.

17. I love my Doll Leaves Nina. I purchased her second hand and the gal who did her face up did a lovely job. When I go back and look at the company photo, I would have never ever selected her as my first doll. I was looking for more mature facial features. It's amazing the power of a face up. Also, I adore her curvy hips. She's got a nice little rump. LOL.

18. I started off hating Dollshe just because of how much I have heard people sometimes had to wait for their dolls, but now I like the company because I fell in love with their Hound sculpt thanks to a friend that owns him.

19. Soom.... It sound not true, but I used to hate Soom

20. Seconding (4thing/etc) the Doll Chateau. They really do have a sneaky charm, don't they?

On a more general level, I originally hated dolls with teeth showing. I thought it made them look a bit odd and ditzy. Then I encountered AprilStory's dolls- Victoria, specifically, who is PERFECT for one of my characters. When done right, it just looks so beautiful and expressive! Shame I probably won't be able to get her while the sale is on, haha...