1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever disliked a sculpt or company and then ended up falling in love with it?

Jun 10, 2016

1. I have to revise my last post on here. I have fallen---sunk to the dark side.

I just ordered a Minifee.

Mind you, I'm not really fond of most of the popular sculpts, either because of their wide-eyed look or child-like appearance. But then...I discovered the Mika/Mir sculpt. The more narrow, slanted eyes, and more mature (in comparison to other MNFs) face...I developed an interest. Also, after seeing this one Feeple girl (one from their 60cm line) modeling a cute black dress on Etsy, I ended up getting really curious. It's got me coming with with ideas that I won't explore with others in my crew (different colored eye bases, getting creative with color schemes with dye, etc), and I can't wait to work with her :kitty2

2. yeah... back when i was a youngling i was into cute dolls, & i didn't like doll leaves sculpts. i thought they were weird... but, after i've grown up, i realized that they are actually quirky & pretty in a different way, & i love them. in fact, my first msd was a doll leaves...

3. When Volks first released SDC Sora, I couldn’t believe how ugly she was! Her eyes were too wide-set and she didn’t have the “cute” look that all the other SDC girls had. So in 2014, when I got my SDC Mina head, I bought a Sora on Mandarake for her body. I figured I could just sell the head. I didn’t like her anyway so isn’t be safe. Well... it turns out Sora is MUCH cuter in person than in Volks’ photos (I know, I know, surprise!!). If I had had the money to buy another body, I definitely would have kept her. I was sad to see her go. Now she’s on the wishlist for someday.

4. Whelp. I guess DC's dolls appealed to me more than I thought; I just received a "random grab-bag" order and nearly squealed when I pulled out a Doll Chateau box! It's probably the biggest turnaround I could possibly have had from my first time looking at their website and closing it in revulsion. (I'm even a little sad the other grab bag I ordered didn't have one of their weird little tinies in it, I'll admit I was kind of hoping...)

It's a good thing I don't actively dislike any other dolls right now, since I've been pretty steadily adding ones I do to my collection over the past few years...

5. I felt exactly the same way about Doll Chateau the first time I saw them, but now I've done a complete 180 and it's really the weirder sculpts, rather than more idealized ones, that interest me now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ For me, DC is a perfect mixture between "creepy" and "cute."

6. One word: Notdoll.

Like what the heck is up with those lips???? I know these are just dolls, but that was a real anatomical stretch there on basically every sculpt they produced. I used to be almost repulsed by them back in the day.

Now I own three.

7. One of my favorite companies is Twigling/ Artifex Kindred. I absolutely love her sculpts, but there was one that was always very off putting to me and I didn't quite understand the face. Her Oryx sculpt has curved squinted eyes and kind of an odd face. That was one sculpt I always said that if I got her collection, I could omit. Well, anytime a Twigling doll pops up on the second hand market it's gone within minutes. A friend of mine I had met in the dolly community had posted an Oryx on a facebook page. Needless to say that beauty is now on layaway and will be coming home to me :)

8. Doll chateau, they were super weird and I might have even considered them ugly at first. Now I own one (DC Erica) and I think they are so lovely and unique. I especially love their bodies, they pose great. The faces are so unique and a little bit sad, which I've realized I am really drawn to.

9. Yep ! When I discovered Dollstown company I really disliked their dolls. Some years after I finally saw their beauty behind their pronounced face and got seven of their molds. Now I only have kept three of them but they are among my favorites : a Soph B (the oldest doll i've kept), an Elysia and a J.

10. For me it was Lucywen from Fairyland. I only bought her because of her outfit and the centaur parts. I wanted to sell the head because I really didn't like her face.
      But after I decided to give her a new faceup by Nomyens I really love her. Never expected only changing the faceup would give me such a change in mind.

11. When I startet being into BJDs I really disliked older Luts Delf sculpts. But now I fall in love with owner photos of them all the time. I don't really know what it is about them. Maybe the eyeshapes and the slightly pointier, downward angled noses.

12. Dollzone Benjamin. When I first saw him a few years ago as a head inside an egg with that particular company face-up at the time, I couldn't scroll past the images quick enough, I thought he was hideous!
      Then he came out as a full doll, with the current face-up and it was love at first sight. I had to have him and was so impressed with his character, posability (and so much more) that he became the best and most loved BJD I've ever had. I'm obsessed enough with the sculpt to have had three more since!

#152 Sprouty, May 17, 2018
      Last edited: May 17, 2018
    13. Fairyland dolls in general just...didn't do it for me. Neither did Volks. To me they all looked like they were recycled sculpts and lacking in character, and it was frustrating that every time I tried to wade through photos of dolls, it was a sea of Minifees! Chloes galore!

Last year I picked up a friend's Volks SD Mark because something about his photos (and broken knee) said "Buy me!". Getting him in my hands, I changed instantly. I adore that doll, his sculpting, his simplicity, and now I'm smitten with Volks and their aesthetic and love to poke through photos of peoples' Volks dolls and how expressive they can be. I'm going to cry for the big fat holes my wallet is going to suffer in the future.

As for Fairyland, after taking in another friend's Minifee...I'm BONKERS for the sleeping heads. I love em. They're gorgeous and I love my Sleeping Karsh's face-- it's so soft and the way light shines on it ensures I'd have a hard time giving the head up. I'll admit I'm not so fond of the OE Karsh still and I'm a little picky about OE Minifee sculpts, but Niella is one OE sculpt I adore...one I may need to add to my collection. Maybe an Eliya, too. I'd say I've come around to this sea of Minifees. :'D

14. At first I hated the Doll Chateau dolls they did not have a proportioned body and looked strange now i really like them they are gracefull and i lke them more for every time i look at them as for art you have too look a lot at it to understand.
      Mel

15. Yeah when I first joined DOA Luts Juri05 was pretty popular and I saw pictures and thought it was really ugly. Then I saw one in person and fell in love, it is my favorite doll, I have 2 now. But I think its hard to take good pictures of this sculpt, some angles on it look really odd in pictures.

16. I got into BJDs because of Doll Chateau: spindly, funny-looking, and fantastical. Minifees and their fashion doll-esque bodies, and Dollfie Dreams and their, er, tendency to have a lot of boob, put me off for a while.
      ... and then I nearly died when I saw the display DDs at the Volks store and grabbed a head immediately. Four years later, I'm dying for a Minifee. Wild.

17. Oh yes, on two occasions actually. First it was Impldoll, I wasn't really smitten with their dolls but then I laid eyes on Alma. After that it was 5StarDoll but now I'm already looking to buy my second doll from them.

18. When I first time to see my friend and her AAAAA (come from Dikadoll) I don't think s/he is adorable at all because my friend let 5A wear leopard print T-shirt. And that is my first time touch BJD doll so I may too nervous to see if it's cute Lol

And my first doll cause she is second hand doll come from my friend's friend, she come my home without 2Ddoll official box.
      My friend (Yes, the same person I mentioned) put her in Dikadoll official box.
      I know that isn't anyone's fault but I just have mixed feeling about Dikadoll in the beginning.

After I look for more and more dolls I prefer.
      I really think 5A is really a very very cute girl in my mind :love

19. Finally found this topic again!

This is exactly what happened to me. Seems like Doll Chateau is quite a good candidate for this kind of happening

When I first saw their sculpts, they even creeped me out a bit and I never even took a closer view, cause they just looked so weird and disproportional to me. I always was looking for the strong and adult type of sculpt. Male, mature, realistic... that where the things I was looking for, right?... Recently I am not so sure about this anymore, because I have a special character in mind, I totally want to shell.

And since he is a really weird cartoon character ( I have fallen for so badly...) I always had my problems with finding a good body-sculpt for him. I thought about giving him a completer personal style and transferring him to some handsome and muscular guy... but that is just not what he is. And when I stumbled upon some more pictures of Doll Chateau recently, it hit me like a rock! I have to get the 70cm boy body!

I am still a bit confused by myself...

20. I love DC from the very beginning (and I have four). It was Peaks Woods, whose dolls were too cutesy, that I couldn't abide. Then I bought a doll that I couldn't stand and someone offered a trade; a WU Lottie for mine. That particular doll wasn't so bad and I just wanted the offender out of my house so I figured, why not? After Lottie came here she soon became one of my faves and I realized it was the open-eyed PW dolls that I didn't like. Then PW changed everything, sculpts, faceup style, the whole shebang. Now I have six PW dolls and one floating head.