1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever disliked a sculpt or company and then ended up falling in love with it?

Jun 10, 2016

1. Soooo many times. Though now Ive found the easiest way to know if I actually like a sculpt is to go through owner photos and see the sculpt bare and all that, sometimes the company photos can do a sculpt such a disservice

2. Being the fairyland fanboy I am, it's surprising that I used to not like the Pongpong sculpt at all....he looked too hyper. >> But after seeing a lot of owner pictures I slowly came to adore that cute little smile (he reminds me of my little bro!)
      The same thing happened for me with a lot of Resinsoul sculpts, as their early company pictures aren't the best at showing off the sculpts...thank goodness for owner pics for showing me the light! :thumbup

3. I really don't like some of DC's sculpts. The scrawny faces with the wretched large eyes and the over-puffed lips? Terrifying!

4. Not so much a sculpt, but the pukifee/tinys used to creep me out. Now I have a Puki Vanilla, and would like Mio too, and I wonder what was wrong with me ! (pongpong is still terrifying though!)

5. I always thought DollShe Saint seemed so distant and cold...very grumpy and unfriendly. But when I came back from a hobby hiatus, his sullen mood and grumpiness spoke to me. He's amazing in person, even blank. I want to do him justice when I paint his heads, he will take practice. I will have to seriously level up my realism in my painting skills. Thank goodness I don't have to handpaint his eyes, I'll probably commission them.

6. fairyland lucywen! i remember vividly looking at her company photos and thinking she looked awful, and then suddenly, like i was slapped awake, i looked back at her photos a couple months ago and fell completely in love! how i could ever think she looked anything short of ethereal is beyond me, but im so in love with those lips, those tiny teeth, her lovely eyebrows, even the tip of her blushed nose!

7. not a particular sculpt, but when I first started out I really didn't like boy dolls at all, but now I love them and I just received my first boy head in the mail today, who had ended up becoming my grail, and I want many more boys now *u*

8. I used to find Doll Chateau dolls really weird, but now I'm totally in love and want to own either their K-06 or A-04 someday.. I never used to see the thrill about the Fairyland Minifees either, but I actually think they're kinda cute now...

9. I really disliked Fairyland dolls until a very few days ago :sigh Mostly because it's such a "generic" doll, such a popular company, but dang. No wonder. They have such pretty sculps, I want a Feeple60 Celine SO BADLY now :chibi:chibi:chibi:chibi:chibi

10. I used to feel irked by the big eyes of Volks Hakuren but in the end after seeing tons of pics on instagram that feelingdeveloped into liking then I bought him, fell in love and turns out the eyes became one of his cutest features <3

11. My soom Clozel. I thought her design was really generic but over time it grew on me and I could see how unique she was.

12. the first time I saw Volks Suzuna I couldn't understand why somebody would like to buy it because in my opinion, she was the ugliest doll that I had ever seen before! I believed that even with a good custom the sculpture couldn't hide its ugliness, so I started to look all Suzuna' s photos, galleries, box openings... finally I felt in love with her, and yes, I own one :3nodding:

13. Fairyland Ante! Ante looked so boring to me, not cute or pretty. I couldn’t understand the popularity of Fairyland at all. However, recently I bought a second-hand LittleFee Ante just to use the body for a hybrid.

Well, Ante sprang to life as soon as I took her out of the packaging. Even in her faded face up she wasn’t just cute but had tons of personality. I swear she was looking at me accusingly for planning to get rid of her head. Right now dare I say she is my favourite doll. And I thought I was more of a fashion doll person. What happened?!

#173 D795, Aug 30, 2018
      Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    14. I really don't like the way Dollfie Dream bodies look. Their big round elbow joints do nothing for me. However, I am a huge Vocaloid fan so when they released Miku and then Luka I had to bring the girls home.

15. Doll Chateau dolls didn't use to appeal to me because I found them strange and very limiting in terms of what I could do with them, but I found myself liking their Elizabeth for her spider body, it's darkly fascinating and delicate at the same time.

16. At first I found Doll Chateau disconcerting, but now they are one of my favorite companies. I love their sculpts and how odd their bodies can be.

17. +1 for Doll Chateau. They've since grown on me, though I still don't have any plans to add one anytime soon. Mostly, I value the detail and creativity of DC. Their products are unmistakable their own, which is pretty cool in a world where it seems that most companies mimic what sells for someone else.

Closest to the thread topic is my turnaround on Atelier Momoni. I just didn't feel drawn to them, possibly for the same reasons I love them now. The ears and sweet, happy expressions just seemed so odd compared to the solemn dignity of the sculpts I initially liked. However, I have come to really appreciate them, and I hope to add a Momonita to my collection someday!

18. I can't join the crowd of "doll chateau grew on me" quite yet. Only one sculpt has been something I liked, the rest still freak me out.

I guess the closest thing to a hate-to-love story I have is Leekeworld Mikhaila. I was really put off by their promo shots, but I adored her in owner photos. I don't own one and may never get her but I look at pictures of her with fondness now.

19. Doll Chateau for me! I never understood the appeal and was really disturbed by them when I first joined the hobby. I couldn't stand to look at all the extra joints. I just found the dolls really creepy. My tastes have changed and now I'm really intrigued by their creativity. I look forward to seeing their new releases. I'm actually waiting for my first Doll Chateau girl and I haven't been this excited for a doll's arrival in a very long time. I told my husband that I have all the pretty dolls I could ever want and now I crave something different, something odd.

20. Boy dolls in general, Now I have one (DC Charles,) another on order (DZ Carter) and several more on my wishlist.