1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever found a doll at a thrift store?

Apr 4, 2016

1. Is there even a surefire way to tell if it's a recast or not?

2. Some people can, but I haven't acquired that ability just yet. D:

3. Would love to. And to be honest: I always check the doll(house) sections XD However, I did find furniture for my little one there :celebrate

4. I've found various dolls at goodwill shops but unfortunately never any BJD's. I wouldn't really expect to find any though living in such a small coastal town but it would be nice.

5. I found my msd girl at a charity shop near where I live! :D Couldn't believe my luck. Cost me £30 if I remember correctly ~

6. That what I want to know. They all look alike to me. :x

7. WOW! that's like winning the bjd lottery :drool I'm so happy for you :)

8. I've been going to Thrift Stores for years, and not once have I encountered a BJD. =~=
      One of my friends did mention that she'd seen a few at a flea market before (on numerous occasions, actually), but she forgot the name of the place and couldn't tell me where. :(

... Although I do live near a store that sells Collectors' Dolls. I'd be surprised if they didn't have a bjd in there. Unfortunately, they'd likely be for full price. :/

9. I've been to many garage sales and thrift stores and have not found any BJDs or related items. The thrift stores where I live currently are really boring and hardly have anything good.

10. Never a doll, but I have found some props and once I found a cheap porcelain doll, like something you'd buy from a discount store- nothing special- that had some nice brown glass eyes. She was pretty damaged, so I bought her & removed her eyes. I felt kind of bad for gouging out those eyes and I kept her head thinking I'd try to repair it but I never did. Makes a great creepy Halloween centerpiece though.

11. This is where I got my Doll Love You You's new brown eyes. >_> Wow, our dolls must be dolly eye twins! Lol (I felt too bad to throw out the original damaged porcelain doll, too- mine is dumped in a random pile of things in my room until I can figure out what to do with her..!)

12. I've found MOST of my BJD props at Goodwill & other thrift shops LOL Tons of stuff :D - furniture, decorations, dinnerware, tea sets, crystal goblets, little books, just all sorts of stuff! I will buy those cheap porcelain dolls that show up a lot, just for the clothes (which often are quite nice, & sometimes can be used for patterns). Material - I'll go to thrift shops looking for clothes that are made of fabric that I want to use for doll clothes - my seam ripper is my friend. I've got 2 of those beauty shop chairs & 2 My Twin Vespas that I got for less than $10 each at the local Goodwill etc. Of course, to find this stuff you have to HAUNT the stores - which I've done my whole life anyway.
      I must say I've never seen a real BJD at any of them, nor at consignment shops either.

13. Found a reproduction porcelain ball joint doll over the weekend at an antique mall. There were 4 in bags made to mimic old bjd baby dolls. For some reason they were creepy to me. Also for a very creepy black old style bassinet stroller that is hopefullying going to fit my msds. That's a good creepy though. Lol

14. Only so that I could destroy it.

15. I'd spend three dollars and take a shot at it. If it's real, sweet, just got a real doll and only spent three dollars on it! If it's fake, oh well. Only lost three dollars. To the trash can!

16. I've found a few props for my crew at thrift stores and rummage sales, but never a doll itself... Like others have said upthread, if I did find one in a place like that, my first assumption would be that it was a discarded recast. 'Sad, but true.

17. It would be more sensible to keep it and use it for faceup/sewing practice, though. I hate recasts too, but at that point you wouldn't be helping the people who made it-and you'd be preventing some newbie from accidentally buying it. Maybe it's because I didn't grow up rich, I don't quite get the idea behind destroying what amounts to usable craft practice supplies. Buying a cheapo throwaway one someone dumped at a thrift mart wouldn't hurt anyone. I can't believe people are getting so illogically angry over that... ??

18. It does happen! Our local doll group found an SD Resinsoul behind the case at a Goodwill. He was $114 and came with a full outfit (and shoes, wig, eyes, faceup) as well as some extra clothes. We were so surprised!

19. I didn't grow up rich, either and I'm not getting angry. I just stick to my principle of having a "recast-free zone" in my appartment. If you want to spare a Newbie the experience of accidentally buying a recast from a thrift store - well, advise them to not buy a BJD from a thrift store.

20. I've found tiny glassware and two chairs! If I ever came across a doll, I'd buy it and hope it was real, but find out for sure before getting attached to it.