1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever found a doll at a thrift store?

Apr 4, 2016

1. @sprinkles Sorry to get a bit off topic, but I really don't think it's a good idea to start a debate about -ahem- here. ^^' From what I understood, it's against the rules to discuss the topic (forgive me if I'm incorrect), as it is very controversial and likely to spark an argument. I don't wish for you or anyone else to get in trouble with the mods, so I really suggest that you let the matter go.
      My apologies if I sound curt, as I don't mean to come off this way. Again, however, I'd encourage you to save this discussion for a more appropriate setting. ^^'

That's amazing! :3nodding: Not to mention an excellent deal with all the extras.

#41 Celestine, Apr 6, 2016
      Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2016
    2. Oh, I didn't know. Is it not allowed at all?? Everyone just kind of jumped down my throat over it. Meh, fine. Thanks!

Sometimes you can find a damaged one of the mass-produced porcelain dolls whose clothes will fit bjd at thrift marts. My 50cm obitsu got her entire outfit that way- even the shoes! :) I've even found somesome props that way- including a jewelry box in the shape of a large doll couch. It pays to keep an eye out even thrifting. Also, sometimes you can get great sewing fabric from secondhand clothes- with more variety and most usually for cheaper than buying from the fabric store.

#42 sprinkles, Apr 6, 2016
      Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2016
    3. I've found Tonner dolls at thrift stores, but a friend of mine found a DZ fullset at a thrift store once! I was envious. Secondhand collectible stores sometimes have Azones, that I've seen, but never resin... so sad... A bunch of doll wigs turned up at some thrift stores north of me, though, and some of my doll friends nabbed those. So envious!

4. The people who worked at the store were quite interested to find out what he really was. They were just calling him "the over-priced doll". :XD:
      A member of our local group saw him and told the rest of us. Then another member went to take photos and purchased him for a third member before he disappeared. Hehe, so he got a new home. :3nodding:

Whoa! It would be really neat to find a whole fullset! :love

5. I don't go that often, but I always have my eyes peeled. I don't really think I'll encounter a BJD, but sometimes I do find goodies for them which is nice.

6. It's a dream of mine, though I'd settle for just furniture or clothes/props. Even if I didn't really like the sculpt, it might grow on me, and knowing the value, it'd be foolish to pass something like that up.

7. I did watch an intro video on Youtube where a woman bought an MSD from a pawn shop for around $40, and there was a thread on Tumblr for a while from someone who found two fullset Ringdolls in the plushies at a garage sale. They were looking for the original owner.

However I have had no such luck. You see a lot of Ebay posts from people who bought them on the cheap from estate sales and have no idea what they're worth....or assume they're all $600 apiece. Thrift stores are a grand place for props though. All my furniture and 90% of my set material and props have come from them.

8. I have never seen one sold at a thrift shop before. I have seen several items that can be used for them though!

9. I have not found a resin BJD, but I have found old antique European porcelain BJDs, wigs, eyes and shoes at a flea market.

I have never donated a resin BJD either, but I have donated some old 1/6 Obitsus that I didn't feel were worth the hassle of listing for sale online.

10. I've nevere seen a doll at a thrift store, but my friend's cousin found her neighbor selling a Hatsune Miku Dollfie Dream full set in for a garage sale. She was $65 and in a barely used condition. What a deal, the neighbor didn't know the real price since she was a gift...

11. Did you buy it?

12. Nope, my friend's cousin bought the Miku. She was so lucky

13. Man i gotta agree with this full heartedly. Im sorry your throat got jumped down, honestly. If youre not causing harm, i really dont see why its a problem?

Anyways now that thats out of the way, ive never found an actual doll at a thrift store. Ive found clothes and props for my 1/6 doll though. I might find something better if i look more, but im actually really embarrassed of being in thrift stores. Thrift stores aren't even embarrassing, im just a biased idiot. Im probably missing out on all sorts of doll crap.

14. I was actually thinking of this the other day. Here in Seattle there are a lot of thrift stores that are filled with some of the most random things but I have yet to come across a BJD! When I went to Oregon a couple of weeks ago my friend and I visited many thrift/antique stores that were huge and filled with merchandise from floor to ceiling and I still didn't find one. If ever do come across one though, I might just go ahead and buy it just so I can say that I found one for a good deal :3nodding:

15. Holy crap. It's hard for me to get my mind around someone receiving a DD fullset as a gift and not even realizing its value or that the gifter spent big $$$ on it...o.0 Well, how lucky for your friend's cousin!

16. I've never found BJD at thrift shops locally, but they do show up on shopgoodwill.com sometimes.
      I wish I lived in a town where they were more popular, so I might have a chance at it!

I have found that some Tuesday Morning stores sell BJDs however, so if you live near a Tuesday Morning make sure you check it out! Unfortunately I don't live near one, but when I went to Washington and Oregon this last year I found many Ai dolls in various Tuesday Morning stores. I know those aren't super expensive or fancy BJD, but I imagine some other stores will sell other models.

My only in town find so far was a limited edition of 300 Tonner doll that I got for $9 from an antique store. I'm not as into collecting Tonners but you can't beat that deal!

17. Apparently, the neighbor only thought she was like a Real Action Hero or a figma. No one at the garage sale took interest in it so the price was $65 when my friend's cousin bought her. The neighbor would be crying if he/she finds out the real price xD

18. That's so awesome! I would cry if I found one at a garage sale. *_* I go to garage sales and probably never will though. Your friend's cousin was super lucky!

19. I would cry too honestly, Miku is so cute! I go to garage sales often, but there aren't much things that I want. I wish I had her luck haha

20. This makes me want to donate a BJD to a thrift store just to make someone's day lol I wonder if anyone had that intention. Like knowing that the thrift store would have no idea what the value is. Just to make someone be happy and have a story :)