1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever found the hobby being a help to your career?

Dec 12, 2010

1. Volks has held the past five New York Dolpa's at FIT and a few months ago FIT was host to a Japanese fashion festival.

I brought a doll to a lolita event in LA dressed in one of the BTSSB collaboration outfits where I was spotted by the coordinator for Pacific Media Expo. I was soon recruited and helped out with doll programming last year. This year I was moved to the fashion division where we hosted Innocent World and Baby The Stars Shine Bright. So while not technically a career improvement, my BJDs have lead me to be involved with some pretty cool events.

2. I don't have my boy complete (he's a floating head for now) but since I'm planning to study secondary education with a first choice in teaching Visual Art, I'm sure he'll come in handy at some point. :'D
      It would be nice to have my dolls as "class mascots" in the future or something.
      (And if I choose to do Fine Arts at university and move into Education from that, well, they have a semester of Jewellery making and he'd work as a great model.)

3. I've actually gone to a doll meet-up there before, but I didn't know that's where they held the Dolpas. I just thought it was interesting because I kept running into things that I had mentioned in my interview, like the dolls and h.Naoto. It would have been nice if I had known the exhibit had featured BJD, because referring back to the museum would have been a good thing while I was talking to them.

4. although the job i currently hold isn't really my career (still working on getting the education), my dolls are something that my clients really enjoy. i work with the mentally handicapped and they really love to see my dolls and dote on them when i bring them. i use them as a special treat and it teaches my clients how to be gentle and how you should handle other peoples personal possessions. it's a win-win for myself and my clients.

5. Pat Henry is a photography professor at FIT and is responsible for bringing Volks and Dolpa to FIT.

6. My dolls photos actually won medals at a south Texas art competition for high schools. Unfortunately I didn't go to state, but its cool being on of the only ones at my school who won some medals. I bet itll look great for college ^_^

7. They're a great source of inspiriration, and if you're in the creative business, consider yourself never running out of ideas!

8. Absolutely. I like to think most of my hobbies help towards some sort of career option, though I don't have a career yet. It was my hobbies that got me into college, via portfolio. I brought in my art, and design, and that was before I even got into dolls I think.
      In the careers that I'm interested in, anything artistic will probably help me on my way, and I consider dolls to be extremely artistic.

9. I make clothes for dolls and over the years when people have found that out about me its led to commission work for making clothes for similar sized subjects. Like recently some one who makes puppets has asked me about making clothes for their work.

10. Well not in actually getting me a job no. lol But Ava my dollfie dream did go to work with me this last halloween dressed as Alice. i set up a madhatter tea party on one of the selves behind my register and i helped customers dressed as the mad hatter. she helped sell alot of stuff that day, since people where coming from all over the store to see the tea party. lol

11. Darn it no... BJDs and Academic Advising? Yeah, don't see much space for progress there. hehehe
      I do have a coworker that is interested in dolls but mostly Barbies and musical themed dollies. Still, that wouldn't help me getting promoted.

12. I don't know if this count but dolls make me understand that I really love photography and thanks to them I'm starting a professional course that hopefully will allow me to work with photo or something like that...
      Also a friend of mine, got inspirited by some takes I did to my DOD Shall and write poetries basing on them and then put everything in a web-museum, it's satisfying even if no money will ever come from this^^

13. It hasn't for me. My educational goals don't deal with anything doll-like. No need for sewing, drawing, or even writing.

14. It's actually helped me a good bit as far as people liking me, believe it or not.

A lot of people that meet me in my work place that meet my dolls think it's really neat, that it makes me interesting and memorable, etc.
      They're also a good conversation piece and I've gotten to know a few people at my work place who just happened to run past my office and catch a doll on my desk and want to know what it's doing there.

So in my experience yes, they help because they make you look like a real person, that you have hobbies outside of work :)

15. I hope to be able to be a sculpter so I'm trying my best to sculpt my own doll :3

16. It's a small stretch but I brought my dolls to work one day and we had been hounded by our higher ups to help people sign up for discounts with our store. Well I had the bright idea of giving my boy and girl (Emily and Shin who are both SD's) cards to hold talking about the discounts. That day were got a recored number and our higher ups were wondering what we did (sadly they wouldn't approve of dolls adversing in my store, Le sigh)