1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever postponed a box opening ?

Oct 26, 2009

1. I'm planning it for different reasons.

The doll is payment for a wedding dress I'm making a friend and the wedding isn't for another 18 months, but the head will reach me tomorow becuase the company had a sale so it was ordered to take advantage of the sale. It will be going for modding and faceup after New Year, and the body is being ordered next month... so the head and body won't be here together until some months into next year, by which point the eyes and wig should have arrived and I hope to have the initial outfit made...

But, I'm not planning on, opening and assembling it all intil the wedding dress is made and handed over - I don't even start cutting and sewing the dress until this time next year.

Good thing I have all my existing gang to keep me going until then, eh?

Very good point. I think I'll get a trusted doll-friend to do the opening and checking for me.

Teddy

2. I can plan on postponing a box opening. But I highly doubt I'll ever be able to due to the fact that, I like to open them right away to find out if there is any doll damage, and get that fixed right away if there is. And if it IS a Christmas present, once the doll is checked, it goes under the tree....or at least that's what my mom says. but, since I am never getting a doll for christmas, at least while I live at home, I don't have to worry about that.

3. I gave in and opened anyway. I'd like to say it was more the "check for brokenness" arguments that swayed me, but in reality it was the "bringing something positive". And he's gorgeous ^_^.

So I think unless bad things are going on when the box arrives I won't postpone again, at least not until after the situation is calmed down somewhat.

4. My mom was going to make me wait for Nori but she wanted me to open him up to make sure nothin was damaged~ and I was going to have to wait for Chirstmas...buuuuut she desided to let me have him and I just COULDN'T wait! *so impatient*

I've heard of a lot of people tho who have their dolls and they comfort them through tough times tho~~

5. I think I would hold off the box opening until I had a whole day to spend with my wonderful boyfriend; however, work, school, and ma training keep us both really busy.

6. I'm postponing mine by a few days (like 3) so I can open it at a doll party in my area.

7. I think I wouldn't really emotionally tie the box opening to any particular event - unless the transaction concerning the item was difficult.

If there was something particularly bad coming up, like others have said, I would open the box, check nothing's damaged, and put it back into the box until I could have free time to unstress myself.

Family trouble; I can understand NOT opening a new doll box, but because of a relationship? Unless the other bought me that particular doll, I would have no qualms enjoying the doll during the aftermath of the breakup. I'd rather blame myself than him if I attach any negative emotion to them.

Also, I think I'd never have a doll for a birthday or a Christmas, and actually wait for it til the special day. As my family aren't that good with the whole buying dolls thing, I'd have to be the one to check for damage, and then well, I've seen it, might as well have it now. We don't restrict present giving to certain days as well, due to opportunities/plans that clash with giving said presents. My parents were always happy to give us something really major but important (like a laptop) now, but not get us anything new for Christmas/birthday.

8. I would drop everything (hopefully not the doll...) and open it right away. I can do patience but it's not one of my favorite things.

9. I can't wait. For one, I need to be sure he isn't damaged and its the right doll---one year I ordered a doll as a christmas gift for my sister and thank goodness I DID open him early, it was the wrong head!

As for associating it with a bad thing...I got Amir the week of my cousin's funeral....but also a week before my wedding....I chose to associate him with the wedding.....

but each doll has been special, I don't really associate them with the time I got them.

10. Well, if by 'postponing' you mean not opening it the second I got it in my hands, then yes. I had to finish making lunch and barely had time to peek in the box to make sure the doll was whole before I ran off to work. I didn't really touch him until that evening, when I came home.

11. Maybe ask your folks (I'm presuming this is a present from your parents?) to open it up and see if he's broken? Or if you don't think they'll be able to judge, ask to do it youself then put him back in the box. If you tell them that if he ends up being broken you can't return him if you wait too long, they might be more willing to listen, since few people like the sound of wasting money... ;)

12. I have postponed opening dolls before, but the delay was for a very short amount of time. My first doll arrived at my house when I was actually in another city 2 hours away looking for an apartment, so technically his opening was "post-poned" until I was able to get home.

My second doll I was absolutey dieing to open and although I snatched him up from the post office as quickly as humanly possible, my sister managed to convince me to wait until she got home from work to open him. And I know 6-7 hours doesn't seem like much, but after a layaway, a missed delivery and him simply being my most adored doll/character ever, I can assure you that wait was murderous.

My last post-ponement was with my fifth doll and first SD. He arrived at my door literally as I was getting ready to step out on my way to school. I was late already and I really didn't want to be rushed in my opening him so he hate to sit in my room all day until I could return home. Once again, not a very long time to wait in relation to some others, but every second counts!

13. Heh! No, I mean I might wait an hour or two or whatever, but I'd really want to make sure the item arrived unbroken and all. Today is a great example. I've got the flu and my fever was spiking then, but I couldn't leave the box alone! My trippy fever dolly, ha!

Raven

14. My boyfriend got me a doll as a gift, and so it was sent to his house. He told me that she had come, and I made him come over to bring her. Well, he forgot her at home and we had to go back. Then he thought he'd dreamed the whole thing when we couldn't find the box. It was under a pillow. I took it home, and opened it immediately. The whole time that it was postponed was less than 30 minutes.

15. Eek! Ravendolls! Hope you feel better soon!

16. I would want to check for damage within the first day or so atleast. If I've had a rough day but I've got time to open the box and it's situationaly appropriate I probably would just to try and have the 'bright spot' in the day. I don't blame you for giving in lynx XD; Especially after all that waiting, it can really be killer. :)

17. I don't know if I will be able to, but I'm considering buying my first puki when I buy my LTF Ante this week. If this is the case, I'm going to TRY to keep the pukipuki in his box until I feel I "deserve" it. Since I will be blowing alot of money at once, and I still am failing at finding work after college, I don't feel I have entirely earned the second one. ....But I hate the waiting so I'd like to have it HERE so I can "give it to myself" when I feel necessary.

18. That really depends on the situation.

I think that a doll arriving would cheer me up, but if someone, like you mentioned, was in the hospital or for whatever ill-reason, I wouldn't have time to enjoy it either and that would really bum me out on top of whatever else.

(In reality, I can't resist opening a box as soon as possible.)

I was at school when my first doll came, and I tried to leave as soon as possible, but some friends insisted that I stayed and hung out. It was sort of awkward because I was really excited for my doll; some friends understood and others really did not.

With my second doll, I was really originally going to go pick berries with a guy I was really interested in. Well, my doll came...haha. But it was around 90 degrees that day and he hates the hot weather, so canceling those plans and seeing each other later worked out. This doll marked a good event because we've been together since, and this is something that frequently comes to mind when I think of dolly arrivals. This makes both of my dolls more of a comfort when I miss him or when he's away. >.<

19. I used to stop whatever I was doing & rip open the box but now I wait until the day is done & i have quiet time to myself to savor opening the box. And last Christmas I'd bought a Peak's Wood Segi for my present. She arrived quite a bit before Christmas but I managed to let her sit until late Christmas night to open her. Otherwise I've never really delayed opening a doll for more than a day. And never really because something bad has happened.

20. It wouldnt help for me, becouse I will remember that it was received on that day..