1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever postponed a box opening ?

Oct 26, 2009

1. My first doll arrived today, this morning - and in another packet I knew was her outfit. I just kept looking at the box. I tidied up, sorted stuff, went on pc etc kept looking at the box - was too scared to open it lol
      Eventually I made time and space and sat and opened the outfit first, loved it, so went on and opened the box - loved her! so all was well.
      Of course now the love has begun and I wont be waiting 2 minutes to open the next one :)

2. Yes -- once I waited a whole weekend and opened my doll right after I had written an exam. I wanted the box opening to be sort of a reward, in a way...and to keep me from thinking about how I did on my exam. ^^ I definitely think that other factors affect me when it comes to a box opening, and usually since I've waited so long for the moment, it becomes special and I want to be able to take the time to look through everything and document it. I would rather wait than rush a box opening. I mean, I had already waited some time for the doll to arrive, a few more days couldn't hurt? (Actually...it can. -.-" Especially when it's stuck at customs. But oh well... I think I'm getting used to it...xD;; )

3. I have (and am currently).

The last one was because I had to run off and meet a friend for dinner/write and exam, this one is because she was sort of a gift (?) and I want the person who got her for me to be here as well. Also I was asked to wait... so I mind (cause I'm crazy excited) but at the same time I don't because I get to share it with someone else.

4. I postponed opening the box when my 1st BJD Aurora arrived on Christmas eve, but I only waited 2 hours, because I wanted to wait till Mom was back from the gym. (I spent wayyyyy too much time photographing the box before opening :) )

5. all the time nowadays LOL LOL

6. My first doll I waited a little bit for my partner to get home and do the opening with me.

My second doll I'm not even sure I even want at this point. My partner of 9 years just left and my Grandmother was diagnosed with Lung Cancer so I'm kindsa dreading that I might hate my YeFei when he finally arrives from LoongSoul.

7. My first doll was sort of a Christmas present to myself, and so I waited until Christmas Day to open her. It was a little frustrating, because there was nothing stopping me from opening her early, and there was a big dent in her outer box so I was a bit worried about her, but it was really special opening her then. Though, I did get annoyed when my parents suggested I wait to open her last...

8. I've done it before due to being too busy with work. By the time I get home I'm usually too tired to open the package up. I don't delay it too long because I need to check if everything's in order but I don't usually get the chance to open it up immediately - as much as I'd like to. I only did that with the first doll I received but even then it was pretty late already and I had to repack him back into his box and only took him out again for photos a few days later.

9. I guess it would depends on the severity of whatever happened on that day and my resulting mood as well. Sometimes when something bad really happens (e.g. someone closed to you had an accident and the likes), box openings would usually be the last thing on your mind (at least it would be for me). I did have something bad happened to me once at work (let just say it involved some idiots) and I went home in a rather foul mood, but I went ahead and opened the box anyway and the activities (taking box opening photos, dressing up the doll like testing wigs and eyes) did help to distract me from dwelling on the incident and cheered me up a little. But if something really serious did happen, depending on the situation, I am very likely to postpone the box opening as it would seem inappropriate.

10. Not yet but I certainly would if something more important happened on the day of a box arrival. Good or bad, there's many things more important than dolls.
      However, I'd probably still try to at least take a quick look and check if anything is broken as soon as I could.

11. aha, I had to postpone my opening. I had to because during my summer I had to leave during June. But before I left, I thought "oh my box will make it here in no time" but in the end. It came a week after I left so I had to wait almost 3 months for it to open it!

12. I had a situation like the kind you're wondering about when I received one of my dolls. No one was on the mood for dolls that day, specially not me, but I opened the box to check for broken pieces. Seeing that beauty ended up cheering me a bit, actually. I put it all back in the box, though, and took a few pictures of the box opening almost a week later, after everything was solved.

Now, as SilverWinglie said, had it been something as hard as a death in the family, the doll would have been totally forgotten.

13. Longest day of classes: English at 1:55-3:10 and then Painting at 6:30-9:10. In between 3-6, I have no where to go. So I was literally sitting there, Waiting in the student lounge when my mom called. She told me a rather large box had come in the mail. I couldn't go home cause I wouldn't make my next class in time. (30-45 min commute, and she called around 5.) That was the longest painting class I ever had to go to.....
      By the time I got home, it was like 9:30 and ended up walking right past the box!

14. I always have to wait, because I open dolls with my roomates (aka, family) and they usually arrive at my office around 11:30am!

But, we had a situation exactly like what you're talking about. Orasteele's Amber arrived on a Friday...her mom was in the hospital that day, and she passed away the next evening. We did the box opening Sunday morning because she really needed something else to think about, and it did make her feel better...but I wish we'd waited longer. I think it's still hard for her to connect to Delphi, because of it.

15. I was actually thinking about postponing my incoming Unoa's box opening since they are my Christmas gifts this year. I think I'm going to have to have a sneak peak though because I want to make sure my Lusis and Sist kit are not missing any pieces. That way I can leave my mediary positive feedback asap. >_< It's going to be so hard for me to wrap them back up and put them under the tree. I'm making most of my Christmas gifts this year for family and friends, and I wound't want to use up my spare time putting my girls together before finishing up and checking everyone off my list first. ;)

16. Just until I can clear my head and settle down to the special occasion -- not for a very long wait though.

17. If there's a thread like this mods please delete this one or move it to the appropriate place! <3

So I got my IH Erzulie in the mail today and I've been dying to get her, granted I've only waited close to two months, or well, technically a month [which surprised me actually], but still. As much as I want to open her right this second I can't, or better put, I'm not letting myself. If I open her there will have to be the box opening pictures, the snuggling, the putting her clothes on, trying to find a ribbon to put on her head as her wig hasn't shipped yet, the pictures of her, the pictures of her and her sister, the want to try and sew for her, and so on and so forth. Now I don't mind doing any of this, actually I would love to, but I don't have the time to waste. I've got a paper due tomorrow, some really confusing accounting homework, microeconomics homework to start, math homework to start, a math quiz to study for, and just college craziness and what not. So while I can open her, it just wouldn't be the smartest decision right this second. Even so I feel so bad for leaving her in her box for so long! ;_;

So I guess my question is, have you ever had to postpone a box opening for any reason? Did it make you feel any kind of way?

18. I actually posted in this thread once but, I recently did a box opening delay AGAIN. This past weekend, actually. I had such a bad week last week and it just all caught up on me saturday. So after shuffling through all the snow and carrying their heavy boxes home, I just didn't feel like opening them. I was going to anyway but I wasn't even excited for them because I felt so sad/overwhelmed. So I decided to wait till I felt better. Plus, they're fantasy dolls so I really had to prepare myself to put them together. Life happens, sometimes dolls aren't the priority. There's definitely no harm in a slight delay. The only thing I would worry about is waiting far too long to check for damages. But, even then, it just depends what's happening in my life at the time. :D

19. I'm tempted to do this for Xion, as she's coming in 3 different pieces (faceplate, headback, body) and I'm kinda new at getting parts separately like that ^^; However I do want to make sure that nothing is wrong with any of it, so... But if something bad were to happen the day I got her I'd definitely open her! After all, both of my other dolls have been received on days after I've had a crap week, and they both really cheered me up. :)

20. I've never done this and I do not know if I would be able to stop myself opening the box. I think that my excitement would overcome any grief/trauma.