1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever renamed a doll?

Mar 10, 2012

?
  1. Yes! ^_^

2. No. -_-

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. If so, Why?
      Yes! It happened three times now, and always because I got a new doll which needed the name of one my other dolls which fits better to the new one.

Did it feel strange?
      Only the first time.

Did you get tired of the old name? Did it become too popular? Did it not seem like the doll's real name?
      None of that.

Do you feel as if your doll has something of a life of its own, a name it already wants to be called?
      No.

Did the personality of your doll change as you got to know him/her?
      No.

2. Have you ever renamed a doll you own?
      Oh, all the time xD

If so, Why?
      Multiple reasons. Usually it's dolls who's look I haven't found yet. So they start out with a name, but their look or the idea behind them changes and suddenly the name doesn't fit anymore.
      I use Welsh names, all with a meaning, so if the meaning doesn't make sense anymore, it has to go.

Did it feel strange?
      Sometimes, but the dolls it felt weird with tend to be the dolls that aren't right for me anyway.

Did you get tired of the old name? Did it become too popular? Did it not seem like the doll's real name?
      My names have meaning, so the name has to suit the doll.

Would you rename a doll if you already haven't?
      There's two dolls I own who I'd never rename. They've had their name from the start and it just fits.

Do you feel as if your doll has something of a life of its own, a name it already wants to be called?
      In a way, yes. But it's mostly the life I give them. Sometimes a mold screams for a certain name, or the other way around, but it mostly has to do with how I perceive them.

With some dolls, yes. I could have a complete idea about them before they even arrive but when they get here they just tend to be different than what I had in mind. As if they roll their eyes at you and just go do their own thing :B

3. Have you ever renamed a doll you own?

Yes, a few of them.

If so, Why?

Two because they switched genders and the old names didn't suit the new dolls. One because I found no less than three other dolls of the same sculpt sharing that name (Lucas/Lukas/Luke is really popular right now!). Of course, I then turned around and stuck a variation of the name (Luca) on another doll, LOL. Sometimes, if you make a change to a doll, the old name just doesn't work for it anymore.

Did it feel strange?

I won't lie, it did at first. I'm rather structured, and it has been a learning experience to realize that these are my dolls, I can name them anything I want and change the names, too, if I want!

Already answered above.

Not really. It's more a question of how I am looking at the doll at the moment. Someone else could have the same doll and give it a different name and it would be equally legitimate, because that's how they see that doll.

Sometimes. I usually have some kind of character in mind when I buy a doll, but they don't always fit it when they arrive and I end up adjusting. But that's exciting sometimes!

4. Have you renamed a doll you own?
      Yes!

If so, Why?

Well either because their name doesn't fit them in the slightest, or because they are my own characters.

Did it feel strange?
      Not really.

No! I would never change the dolls name because of popularity. Sometimes it may not seem like the doll's real name, but again, most of the time it because I have specific plans for them!

Hm...I may think about it, depending on if I feel like they are leaning towards a different name.

Sometimes! Sometimes I realize the doll is much more calm than I planned, or a number of different other things. This is always neat though!

5. Have you ever renamed a doll you own?
      I've done this twice, actually. Once with my AOD Zi Yuan, and I'm still doing it with my RS Lan.

If so, Why?
      My Zi Yuan changed because the character originally inspired by her just didn't fit with the character that was supposed to be her lover. So, I did a new face up on her and a new character was born. My RS Lan has gone through three names, and I'm considering changing it AGAIN. I just can't settle on one for her.

Did it feel strange?
      Miranda came naturally; my RS Lan, I'm more comfortable calling her "Lan" than anything else. I still can't find a name or character for her.

With Miranda, as I said, it was the entire character change. For Lan, at this point, I'd settle for a popular name if it was able to stick, but NOTHING seems to fit.

I'm planning on it again with Lan. Lol

That's a complex question and answer all on its own. I don't believe dolls have their own life force or anything, but they're kind of extensions of our own. That's how we know when the character or the name is right for the doll.

Yes.

6. Have you ever renamed a doll you own?
      No.
      Probably not. They tend to stick once I've named them and since I take much time naming a doll, their names really fit well. ^^
      A bit. I get a theme or some sort of inspiration of it. But I think everyone has that more or less.
      Their personalities change a bit over time, when I get back to them after some time and had some inspiration. It also happens, that the personality "splits". I have some traits for one doll but then another one arrives and takes the first doll's trait or part of it.

7. wow, awesome feedback! I'm happy to read about all your doll naming experiences! I'm just glad to know I'm not they only one. I felt very weird about changing my dolls name. And a little bad that I got it wrong the first time around.

I'm waiting to receive my Honey Delf Pitta. Settling on a name for her has been hard. I was thinking Wren or Willow. I guess I'll just wait and see which one fits her when she finally gets home!!

8. I don't rename my dolls, because I think for their names for a long time and choose correctly. I can't imagine anothet, if he/she had alredy has one.

9. Have you ever renamed a doll you own?
      Yup, a few times.

If so, Why?
      Their character/appearance/personality changed and their old name no longer suited them. That or I found a doll that better represented the character I had in mind.

Did it feel strange?
      I'd find myself calling them their old name but otherwise, no.

Usually it just didn't fit and the name seemed kind of tacked on to them.

Sort of. I feel that each doll has something of an energy and that there's usually a name that suits that energy.

Usually, yes!

10. Have you ever renamed a doll you own?
      Yes, thought 'adding a name' is more correct. Usually they go by their mold name or the first name I picked for them.

If so, Why?
      They get 'new names' according to their role in my stories as they have to fit. Can't have my english lady have the same name as my chinese princess (same doll - different outfit and style).

Did it feel strange?
      Nope.

See above. It's more a practical name. As said, I usually refer to them by their mold name to avoid confusions (one of my boys is named 'Lance' which I learned a couple of days after was actually a mold name...) or the first name I gave them.

... Some, yes XD

Well, one certainly did. I intended to dress him in brown, red, gold, orange, yellow and stuff like that but then he was home and I felt like he was all "No way." He's dressed in white-blue and dark trouqise now, with silverly-white hair ^^°
      Don't really mind it, just means I have to find another I can give the original role I intended for him :3

11. Not yet - though I do have the feeling that I might at least add to "Scar's" name or rename him. Scar seems to be only a nickname. His real name - no idea.

12. afraid i might have to say yes to this one. i got a head 2 years ago for xmas and it got lost before it could be shipped. he sat in England for a few weeks and they found/shipped him after xmas. hence his name was Nicholas. well, Nicky hasn't had a body and.... i got bored. so i have this great idea for a new face up and i start in. halfway through "He" starts changing it and i followed where "He" led. what i thought was a vampire is actually a werewolf. he is asking for a scar and has a very bold personality now. yes, i think they take on their own personalty. now to find my new handsome devil a name he likes....

13. I realised one of my dolls is not suitable for the character I bought her to be, but I still like her. So I'm going to reshell the character, but keep the previous doll. I've been having a discussion with her in my head (lol) about what her new name should be.

14. Have you ever renamed a doll you own?
      Not really... I have changed nick-names a little.

If so, Why?
      Sometimes some names seem more comfortable or right for a doll as you use them over time.

Did it feel strange?
      No.

Just not as right.

I don't really worry about it too much. But, sure, I'd change a name if I wanted to.

Maybe. We give our dolls a their characters and personalities and style... and we can decide that a name does or doesn't fit them.

Not really. Just maybe the name wasn't quite right when I chose it at the beginning and I felt better calling them something else...

15. All of my dolls have told me their name right from the start. I don't pick their names, they do. Dev is the only one who I called by a different name because I didn't get a name from him for a while.

Have you ever renamed a doll you own?
      Yes, I originally thought about keeping my IMPL Jasper's name Jasper.

If so, Why?
      It was not my choice to change his name, it was his. Apparently Jasper isn't he name and he didn't like it, therefore he let me know that his name was Dev. (I have no idea if it is Dev, or short for something. He hasn't told me.)

Did it feel strange?
      Not at all. Felt much more natural calling him Dev then it did Jasper. I think it pained him to be called something that wasn't his name and he didn't look happy in his pictures.

No, it was just the fact that he didn't tell me his name until a few months after I had him so I believed his name was, indeed, Jasper.

Yes, I do. I feel very strongly that these dolls have something in them that makes them THEM and makes them unique so of course they are entitled to have their own name, one they like.

Yes. I've had a couple dolls that have changed personalities. Some right away, some took a while, some changes are subtle (like eye or hair color) and others have been dramatic. My Rafael was bought to be a Japanese Emperor and he let me know as soon as I put that outfit on him that he is a modern resin person, one who is punkish, emo-like, and gay (to top it off). I call him my "Rainbow." He really blossomed immediately with the proper clothes on him.

16. I drove everyone crazy for weeks trying to figure out a name, then finally just picked one and stuck with it. I'm still not sure it's her name, so it may change if she ever decides to tell me what it really is

17. i had a pukifee i planned to name ember and she was going to wear a black wig with red/orange streaks. once i finished her faceup she didn't suit the wig ant all and became amberglas instead. my next do;; was a minifee that ended up looking perfect in a larger version of the same wig and she became ember instead.

similar things have happened with other dolls that didn't come out as planned. since they have no character till after they get their faceup/hair/and name it doesn't really bother me. they could change again when they next need a new faceup,

18. My dolls ended up going through lots of names before I settled on the one that sounded right. Most of the renaming takes place before they've arrived, but I did rename one of them after 2 years! I always found naming dolls to be difficult since mine aren't all pre-established characters.

19. Have you ever renamed a doll you own?
      Yes, both of my msd

If so, Why?
      I kept calling by them by their full sculpt names (Oh, I just got my dollzone annie....)

Did it feel strange?
      No

It wasn't them

Sometimes

Alot

20. Have you ever renamed a doll you own?
      Yes, I have.

If so, Why?
      Because I looked up the meaning of the name and realised it meaned "dunghill" and it was totally... well horrifying to me haha.

Did it feel strange?
      Yes... I kept calling him the old name for a long time.

To an extent, yeah.

Slightly, yes lol. But I think that's the great thing about dolls (: