1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever renamed a doll?

Mar 10, 2012

?
  1. Yes! ^_^

2. No. -_-

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Have you ever renamed a doll you own? Never. I think I immediately found the names that will stick to them. Even for my first doll, I had him for 4 years and I never renamed him. He will always be Connor :)

If so, Why? -

Did it feel strange? -

Did you get tired of the old name? Did it become too popular? Did it not seem like the doll's real name? -

Would you rename a doll if you already haven't? I don't think so. Once I commit to a name, it has to stick. It would be strange for me to rename a doll.

Do you feel as if your doll has something of a life of its own, a name it already wants to be called? Definitely. That's why I always wait to see the doll before naming it.

Did the personality of your doll change as you got to know him/her? Yes sometimes but the name stays :P

2. No I've never changed any of my dolls names though I've actually been thinking of rearranging some of their names. When I first started my collection I didn't think I'd have as many as I do now so I used the names River and Rayne for my pukifee and littlefee. I thought the names sounded really cute together for a pair of siblings. Now I have another pukifee whose name is Snowe but I think as River's twin the name Rayne would fit her better which leaves me with somewhat of a dilemma because my littlefee is Rayne. It really bothers me because I love the names I've chosen but they just don't match up like they should anymore but I've already gotten used to calling them their assigned names. So I want to change them but then I don't at the same time *_* and then there's my SD Evan. I kept his company name because I really like it but I kinda feel like I did him a disservice by not coming up with a personal name for him. But again I've already gotten used to calling him Evan and I like the name. To change any of their names would just feel awkward to me at this point.

3. I didn't change my dolls' names yet but I seriously consider it in the future. As far as new molds appear I found one suitable more for my character than previous I chose for it that's why I think I will resettle this character to another mold together with the name. Current boy named after this character will receive new name. Only thing which bothers me much is that I already got used to call him that name and it will be really hard to adjust my mind.

4. So far I haven't change my dolls name yet. I notice that after I type down their name next to their sculpt, it's official. I take while to reach that step because I take a good amount of time thinking about their name, making sure it's creative, unique, and have a good meanings behind it.

5. Yes I have, because of the fact that it really didn't fit her character any more. With her new name I gave her a new face-up and new outfit. It also made me realize that I wanted to just change her body completely.

6. My poor doll did not even have a name until recently, It just popped into my head as I was sitting her down on my shelf....Serene...it is not super original however she is my first BJD and she is dressed all in white with a white long wig. The name just suits her.

7. Mika. When I originally decided to buy an MSD Mika, I didn't have a character for her or anything. By the time I'd saved up, I'd decided to go with Annabelle and worked her into my crew's story. But I'd gotten so used to saying "saving for my Mika. . . when my Mika arrives. . ." nothing else sounded right. So Mika remained a Mika (though officially, it's Mikayla Ann) instead of becoming an Annabelle.

The others, so far, have at least been firmly established characters before ordering them, so no after-the-fact-name-changes.

8. Have you ever renamed a doll you own?
      -- Yes, I've renamed two of mine actually. Keijo turned out to not be Keijo so his name is now Else, and Toorah, her name changed to Luna.

If so, Why?
      --Because the names didn't fit the personalities anymore. Keijo's character needed to be reshelled, because I kinda got the doll and forced the character on him :sweat Toorah just didn't fit. It was pretty but I kept calling her Luna for some unknown reason so it I gave up and changed her name.

Did it feel strange?
      -- A little bit with Else, but that's because he just kindof always will be Keijo somewhere. I plan on doing an awkward photoshoot with him and the new Keijo one day lol.

Did you get tired of the old name? Did it become too popular? Did it not seem like the doll's real name?
      -- Nope, Nope, and Maybe? The old name just didn't fit the sculpt anymore and it's a little strange to have two dolls with the same name. . . .oh wait I do have two with the same name now lol I have two Lunas.

Would you rename a doll if you already haven't?
      -- Not Applicable, though I thought I wouldn't have. I figured they were stuck with whatever name they got.

Do you feel as if your doll has something of a life of its own, a name it already wants to be called?

-- I think it's more like they look like something (unless it's a character doll then of course they look like something) that you really want to call them. I think that's how names work. At least for me, it's how I name my pets too. Some of my dolls are character dolls others like sometimes get nick names like my "Dusty". They get their names when I get to see them and learn their quirks. Dusty, who's name is actually "Laci", got her nickname from when I asked for a close up shot of her face before I bought her, she had dust on her eyeballs, but everybody calls her Dusty.

Did the personality of your doll change as you got to know him/her?
      -- Not really. I've only had two or three of them that have done that, but that usually involved faceup or wig and eyes change.

9. I've thought about changing the name of one of my dolls. One of them has a Japanese name from an anime I liked back in the day, but now I don't like anime and really don't like Japanese names >_<

10. I recently renamed one of my dolls because I didn't have a character for my doll... I think it was a good decision because I'm really happy with my doll now :)

11. Have you ever renamed a doll you own?

Yes once.

If so, Why?

I had a name for him prepared, but when he arrived and I had him with me, the name didn't seem to fit his character.

Did it feel strange?
      A little bit, since everyone already knew his name and then the name changed.

Did you get tired of the old name? Did it become too popular? Did it not seem like the doll's real name?

The last one, it dit not seem like the doll's real name.

No. I like the rest of the names!

Do you feel as if your doll has something of a life of its own, a name it already wants to be called?
      Difficult so explain, but sometimes you just "feel" that the name is perfect. :)

Well, not direct. I always let my dolls the personality they want. Of course I think "this would be cool" or "this would be sweet", but in the end, they decide for them self who they want to be.

12. Have you ever renamed a doll you own?
      Yes, recently.

If so, Why?
      The first name wasn't the right one, really. It was the surname of a famous person and even though it sounds quite nice I couldn't only picture my doll when I heard that name.

Did it feel strange?

Nah, not really. Mostly because I didn't use the old name very often. And since I named this doll I haven't made further attemptds do bond...

It just didn't seem right. Wasn't her real name yet. :)

I'm still in need for two names for other dolls, so that might be happening if the first ones don't fit too well.

Well, it feels like there is no way my dolls could have other names. They fit so friggin well I think they're like destined to be named like this...at least in my mind.
      On the opposite I left one name the same as the sculpt, because it's my grail doll and I got the fullset, too. I don't think I need to rename her soon, but I kinda feel uncreative leaving it as it is.

Even though I renamed her I'm still in need of another head to "complete" her character. Other than that I don't have a fixed personality for her so I cannot be sure that her personality changed. Maybe because I still need to give her a face-up.

13. I like certain sculpts and tend to get them in different skin tones so I sometimes wind up with several of the same sculpt. Needless to say, they can't all go by the same name so usually the first one of the sculpt keeps the sculpt name and the others get an original name. I don't name them until they whisper their name in my ears. Weird but it works every time.

14. thank goodness, it's a doll...i don't know if it's my kids...haha...
      I changed my boy doll's name. I didn't have any idea about his name so I gave him Shin Aito. But I feel like it didn't fit him...somehow...So, I changed it to Ryu Taeji...

15. I planned to give my boy doll a different name before he arrived. My doll is from Korea so I was searching for a Korean name to fit him. Some weeks before his arrival I chose to call him Jun. After he finally arrived I felt like Jun didn't seem the right name for him. My mother suggested to call him Toshiyuki. It isn't a Korean name, but it seemed just perfect for him so I agreed to her suggestion.

16. Have you ever renamed a doll you own?
      Yes. I have renamed my KDF Darae shortly after he arrived.

If so, Why?
      Originally, he was supposed to be a "Sen", since the personality I thought up for him was meant to be quiet but firm. However, he didn't 'take' to the name and displayed a personality more like another character I had in mind that was meant to be 'filled in' later. So now he's a 'Ten'.

Did it feel strange?
      Uh. It did. Felt like renaming a baby. (Thank goodness that with bjds, there are no birth certificates to change.)
      Ten didn't like the name originally given to him. On the other hand, his twin brother (The La Sirenita Darae came with a Sleeping Head) is now called Sen. (They swapped names. -.-")

Not really. Other then Ten, all the others have stuck with the names I gave them.

Yes. -.-" Ten didn't respond to me calling him 'Sen' at all, as if he objected to the name.

Yes. Ten's personality changed the moment I got him a new wig. From shy... to simply quiet but confident. I like to think of it as him knowing me well-enough now to trust me with who he is.

17. Have you ever renamed a doll you own? Yes I have :3.

If so, Why? Me and Avery decided to rename her because in the near future I do plan on having a daughter using her previous name. It'd be kinda awkward to name your doll and your child the same way.

Did it feel strange? Not at all Avery says she loves her new name she feels like it matches her personality a little more.

Did you get tired of the old name? Nope.

Did it become too popular? Not that I know of.

Did it not seem like the doll's real name? Yes.

Would you rename a doll if you already haven't? Yes.

Do you feel as if your doll has something of a life of its own, a name it already wants to be called? If my doll is second hand then yes otherwise I consider a new doll kinda like a birth thing. The first day I see what their personality is like, the next day we decide on a name together.

No :). Renaming her actually got a bit more in touch with her personality.

18. Yeah, I had my first girl named Lillian, but within a few weeks I realized that the name didn't fit her. So now she is Trinity, Trin for short.

19. Only once, and that was a doll that I inherited from my sister. She'd named him Shin-ji, and when she passed him to me (since she was going to university), I had other plans for him. Now he's Tannim. Doesn't feel strange at all. Ishka, on the other hand, I would never be able to change. Her name has always fit, from the moment I had her, and I can't imagine any other name fitting.

20. I have many considerations when it comes to naming my dolls, it's really not that easy to find the perfect name. The one that would suit him or her like forever. So I guess I must admit I have changed some of my doll's name :)