1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you set yourself a doll limit and have you been able to keep it?

Jun 4, 2017

1. I originally planned to get one MSD doll (a LUTS Kid Delf Kiwi) but I decided to sit on it.
      Fast forward a few years and I now own 3 SDs and 1 YoSD. :sweat

Now I think my limit will be 6 so I can finish 2 other OCs.
      I don't imagine the remaining slots being filled up for a few years due to space limitations.

2. I do have a doll limit, and I went over it for a while and finally got it back down to manageable numbers. I plan to stick to the one in one out from now on. I love the ones I currently have, so I need to think really hard about parting with one to bring home another.

3. I always figured once I completed my wishlist I'd have somewhere around 13-15 dolls. Currently I have 10 full SDs, plus two floating heads and one doll that's ordered but not yet arrived, so...I'm mostly there. I don't see myself continuing to buy much past this point. My enjoyment of my doll hobby is more in crafting than acquiring/collecting, so I doubt it will be very hard for me to stick to that. My limit has always been more of an estimate than a hard and fast rule, but I think my estimate has proved correct.

4. I've never really set a limit for myself, and I'd love to own a whole group of dolls, but I find that that's been kind of difficult for me. I've owned about 10? dolls during my time in the hobby, but the most dolls I've ever had at once was 3, I think. I always just want to focus my attention on spoiling one doll QuQ, but that doesn't stop me from admiring all the other dolls I want.

5. Coming back to the hobby I have set limits and am going for a small group this time, more focused on finding specific ones I absolutely love :)

6. At first I didn't.. However, recently I've been mulling over my collection and thinking about who I'm inspired by and who I'm not. I now have a limit of about 12 (after I trim down my current collection).

7. Several. It started with no dolls- they’re pretty but too expensive. Failed that. Then just one- no point in buying two. I wanted something more realistic to sew for, so got a second. Then I decided that three was enough. That got broken when DDE got one I’d been admiring in stock. Now I’m at four but not deluding myself to thinking I’d follow another limit.

8. That is a good rule of thumb regarding self limits on buying dolls

9. This isn't quite how I look at my collecting right now. I won't turn away any doll because I've hit a number, but I am quite a bit more worried about the space my dolls take up. I want to be extremely selective when buying dolls since I don't intend to sell any and I honestly don't have room to store more than a few more than I already have. I don't want to buy any more dolls that I don't absolutely adore because I'm choosing to lug them around for the rest of my life. I suppose it doesn't help that I highly prefer SD sized dolls :sweat

10. I don;t have a lifetime limit set for myself, so much as I have to think about space.

That said, I definitely bent the rules there-- hey, ordering heads doesn't count if you don't buy the bodies until you have display space, right?

11. @Airy18 : :XD: Do as I say, not as I do! I have tried my best to stick with that rule but this last year I saw a huge dolly influx lol. So hard to resist these little resin chunks.

12. No... I tried keeping it to a smaller flock, figuring that i'd not be able to give all of them equal attention. But that turned out to be wrong. I can give almost any number og dolls attention. If i don't give a doll attention it's a sign that i should probably figure out if i'll keep it or sell it. I usually find out which one by examining WHY i don't give them attention
      i´ve decided to keep one of the dolls i don't give as much attention anymore. Not because i no longer love her, but it's like posing a ragdoll XD Another i simply don't like and really never have, but she proved hard to sell. Possibly because she's kinda old by now :/

13. I tried really hard to take it slow jumping into the hobby months ago..."one doll a year" and "no dolls until the first one you ordered comes in! you can wait! it's only 9ish months!"

I now have another doll on layaway with the first I ordered, got another doll secondhand, and another one that should be showing up any day now! :doh

14. Oh my! I’ve set many limits for myself over the years…and promptly blown past them all! I blame (or credit, depending upon how you look at it) my creative imagination for coming up with fascinating characters I can’t seem to live without.:sweat And the companies and sculptors of course, whose fascinating dolls so completely fuel my creative instincts. I told myself absolutely no new dolls this year! By June, I’d found the perfect best friend for one of my beloved boys…he was so perfect in fact, I had to order him fullset. And just this week I stumbled upon a dream doll I never thought I’d be able to shell…wow! There she was, in all her splendor…another limited fullset!:o So I jumped at the chance to bring her home as well. Thank heavens for long layaways.:chomp:

ETA: And yeah, right at the end of the year, Fairyland just released a limited Realpuki (my weakness)…on my birthday too, so of course I couldn’t resist.:doh It’s a conspiracy, I swear!

#214 PoeticSoul, Oct 28, 2021
      Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
    15. I thought I might need to set myself a hard limit, because I can kind of throw everything to the wind when I get into a new hobby, but now that my main boy is here... I find myself rather ambivalent on getting anymore. I do have another on order, but I find I don't care as much about when he'll arrive. Next month? Sure. Next year? Alright.

I'm not sure if this is an actual answer to the prompt, because I didn't set a limit but turns out I don't need one?

16. I have only two bjds but plenty of other dolls. My last limit was a fun one - not to go over the number of my own age! I must say I stopped buying for now, but I had made myself two years older.

17. Initially I told myself 5-10 dolls maximum, but with how many dolls I like I the limit is about 15-20. Anything higher I think would become overwhelming. I also have a rule that I can get 2 dolls a year (or 1 depending on the price) and only one at a time. I've been doing well so far, and it keeps me from impulse buying so I now have a set list of dolls I plan to order instead of ordering on a whim. It's been really helpful to keeping me in my limit.

18. My initial limit is definitely how much money I have to spend, but beyond that, I'm also super picky! So I don't have a hard limit. I have one doll, another on the way, two I'd love to preorder when they become available again, three I plan to buy when I can... If I have space for them, they can come home! :)

19. Yes, in the beginning, I've set a limit to only 4. exactly 2 months later, I bought another 3 dolls. So now I try to stick with my new limit which is 7. But I guess we can never have too many floating heads. They can just borrow each other's body

20. Initially I thought maximum 20 dolls. And I did well control in last 10 years, now I have only 10 full dolls and 5 floating heads.