1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you set yourself a doll limit and have you been able to keep it?

Jun 4, 2017

1. Good Gods No!!!! I can't remember what my limit was but it's been blown out of the water. I have 10 total, 9 completes, and one floating head. No less than three are ordered and as yet un arrived. And I have fairly firm plans for at least one more. Add five or so I want to make for myself if I get my own 3D printer. So 13 once everyone is in and complete, 14 once I get the final one I currently have plans for, and possibly up to 19 or more if I can make my own. Oh boi

2. I told myself to keep it under 10. But I've only been in the hobby a year and I'm almost half way there! I'm interested primarily in having a boy and girl in each size and I have a few 'friends and family members' I feel my dolls just need to have (despite there being no real reason lol.) Based on my current counts that is still under 10! But of course I see many pretty dolls and I'm tempted to buy just for the sake pretty-ness and treating myself. This is something I'll have to control though once I've got all my characters. At least I'm picky and tend to want to be absolutely sure before I pick a doll. I'm not usually an impulse buyer! I'm also not a hoarder by nature and cannot see myself being a collector with 30+ dolls lining the shelves. I feel guilty if I don't equally love the dolls I've already got!

3. I planned for a limit of 10, but including two I have on the way I am at 14. I'm not too worried about it because each one is so special that they need to be with me!

4. A year and a half of Covid lockdown boredom has destroyed any limits I had put on myself for my collection. I went nuts buying more dolls during lockdown because I was stir crazy and lonely and bored (I don't live with any human family). Now I really seriously regret it.
      Before that, my limit for the amount of dolls I wanted in my collection, was dictated by my budget. I feel overwhelmed with the dolls I acquired, and am not bonding with any of them. I feel like an idiot. So now I am trying to sell some of them to regain my sanity, and to undo the financial damage I did to myself.
      My original doll family consisted of 4 SD size romantic couples - a total of 8 dolls, plus a couple of YOSDs who were their offspring. I was very happy wiith the dolls I had. I want to get back to normalcy somehow. It's going to take a while, because selling dolls is very slow and a tedious process. :(

5. Yes, after a few attempts at reasonable limitations, I decided upon an infinite number of dolls, and so far I am well within the limit. :thumbup

6. yes I was about to but never kept it. New dolls are always shouting to me : take me home!

7. So far I've been keeping my 3-doll limit. Though i sense there's a good chance i'm going to break it soon in the new year if new dolls show up. I am weak to new pretty doll releases;;

8. Good one :lol: I couldn’t set a limit since I don’t know what’s coming out. So I get what I want (wallet permitting of course) lol
      By mid next year I’ll probably have 25 dolls at Holme…. It’s currently 14. But a few shipped etc. I don’t want to limit myself unless it gets too much, or no money, or other reasons. But just setting a number isn’t going to work for me :) I am rather going by “as long as it safely fits in designated areas” it’ll be fine kinda person :)

9. I believe in moderation and enjoying what I have instead of endlessly accumulating stuff, but setting an arbitrary number of "X dolls only and no more" feels... arbitrary, neither meaningful nor reasonable. So I'm trying to find a limit that is personally meaningful.

I think my limit is not about physical space (I don't have this issue right now), but about how much mental space I have in my imagination. I create OCs for all of my dolls, and I currently have a single cast of characters who all live in the same shared world. I like having just one ensemble cast and have no desire to start a second cast right now. And there's a finite number of doll characters I can hold in my head, all at once, without neglecting anyone or getting overwhelmed.

Right now I think my mental limit is 9 dolls/characters. And I own/bought 9 dolls already: I currently have 5 at home plus a 6th I received a few days ago, and next year I will be receiving 3 more dolls. Currently, the 9 characters are all very cozy and tight-knit in my imagination, and I'm keen to get all their doll shells home so I can keep on telling stories about them. What's more, I've become less and less tempted by new dolls and preorders as my cast has grown - which is a good sign!

So I think I'm reaching my personal limit, if not already reached it. 9 dolls feels like a good number - enough for interesting character relationships and stories, but I won't get overwhelmed. And it'd be nice to keep my doll collection in the single digits :XD: We'll see if I can stick to this limit.

10. I don't have the dolls limit, as I don't foresee it to be a problem - After a shopping sphree where I bought a doll on a whim that I could not bond with, I changed my approach. To only buy dolls after I see them for at least a month and were still in love. Since then, no new dolls joined XD But.. I need a limit for my crafting supplies.. I craft way less than I thought I would be but I am still buying supplies ARGH

11. Your footer says more than three :) are you lying to yourself to keep calm? :DDDD

12. My limit is 30, give or take a couple, but they are little. I currently have 32 dolls and one preorder but I have plans to sell 2-3 after the holidays. I usually don’t have a problem sticking to my limits, I have a one in one out rule but sometimes selling a doll takes time.

13. For on-topic dolls, ideally I'd like to keep it around 10. This said, I'm one year in and already have 6, so.... we'll see how I'm doing in a year LOL.

14. My pickiness has helped keep the amount of dolls I have down, but since I've been branching out into anime dolls, I've found that I like almost everything I see! It's bad! I've never really felt the need for a doll limit, either, but now I'm not so sure. So far I haven't stuck to buying limits, so I don't think I'd be able to stick to a doll limit, either, but I think atm my limit would be 20. Currently I have 11 full dolls with 3 on the way and a few heads, so I think 20 provides some room to grow my current collection depending on plans. Thankfully in 2024 I'm doing a no-buy until I clean out my room and organize my space better.

15. I kind of have a limit as I try to not buy dolls that remind me of other dolls I own. I’ve failed a few times.

16. I foolishly have not set a limit lmfao. Partially because I didn't really jump in until about a year ago!
      I feel like I'd like to keep it around 10 or so . . .
      Then again, I already have 6 (one of which I want to sell, but still) . . . and another one on his way :abambi:
      AND I've got at least three more on my wishlist that I REEEALLY want. Not sure if I'll ever be able to obtain them since my grails are ALWAYS discontinued sculpts that are nearly impossible to come across on the secondhand market, but WE'LL SEE!

Maybe 15 would be a more realistic limit for me . . .
      [smashcut to me next year with like 30 dolls]

17. Not really a limit, per se, but I have kept to my usual sizes well. That way, everyone can mix and match and I don't have to buy new clothes!

18. Last year I thought I was pretty much done, I am satisfied with my collection and there were a few specific types of dolls that I wanted to get, which I was lucky to find this year.

I told myself no more YOSD sized dolls. I have 8, and no matter how adorable they can be, I've held this goal for over a year. Although I was tempted. I also don't really have any more shelf room for them, so this helps.

I told myself only one more MSD sized doll, I got three of them, and am planning on one more. :roll:
      So this one was a bust, but I only have shelf room for one more, unless I want to move my Monster High dolls, and I only want a final boy because I already have the shoes and wig for one. I think after this one, I will be done with the cute small dolls.
      I am going to set my limit to one more again this year, and try to stick to it.

SD and larger. Yeah, I might have to rearrange my room for them, but I kind of want more. I have a shelf full of craft stuff that I barely use, so I could put more dolls there. I don't think I want many more, but I am also not going to limit myself with the larger dolls at this point. I kind of wish I had just started collecting with the bigger dolls, but the size of them intimidated me in the beginning. I am not going to give myself a hard limit on them. I already have two ordered, and I am planning on one more, but after that I don't see myself buying a lot of them.

19. I ALWAYS say this is the last one. My collection is complete. Then.....

20. I don't think I have a hard limit, just for whatever feels "right" to stop at. If companies keep putting out dolls I like (slim anthros, fantasy, dragons) or if I have characters I *must* have shelled, then I'll keep buying. Fortunately my tastes run towards 50cm and below with only a couple exceptions so it's easier to hold off on a lot of pretty dolls.