1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you set yourself a doll limit and have you been able to keep it?

Jun 4, 2017

1. I didn't originally have a limit, but I eventually developed a no more dolls than years in the hobby, as for a while I bought about one a year or so and I figured having a limit with a slowly raising cap was reasonable. I've been in 13 years now (counting back to 06 before I joined DoA) and only have 8 dolls, so I've kept it mostly because the itch doesn't get me often and I'm super picky. I've had several come and go for various reasons with it never going above the limit. If I absolutely had to I could point to the three I'd bump it down to, though I'd be grouchy.

I'm building an interest in starting to sculpt and cast my own designs when I have space, so we'll see how limits apply then.

2. Not specifically but then I've not been in the hobby for long enough to give it much thought. I have more of a must have list (which is nearly done) which was 6 but grew to 7, then I have a would really like wishlist (which is small currently and I'm in no mega hurry). I'm sure they'll be others after that but I think I'd get overwhelmed quickly if the crew got too large. Although I'm no longer the only collector in the house so there may be other dolls about.

Just realised though that I do have one mini event doll and another incoming. But they're so small they don't really count...right? :XD:

3. I always find myself saying....”that’s the last one” but there is always another! With the nature of BJD and closing dates for orders - having a 3 to 6 month wait means more time to search for the next one for the collection!

4. I don’t have a limit, but I tell myself I’m not allowed to get a new doll unless it’s for a special occasion and looks like a character of mine.

5. Yep, nope. :lol: Fortunately, it's not really a money issue so much as a future me is going to hate present me when it's time to move issue. I was supposed to be done with buying any new dolls like...five dolls ago. I'm the type of person who gets buyer's remorse from not buying something. Worst case scenario, I'll just sell what I don't want anymore. No big deal. It's a lot harder to buy a doll you passed up and ended up actually wanting after all, though.

6. I'm just starting out in this hobby, but I have already given up making a limit...
      I have my first doll coming in a little over 3 weeks.. YAY! but i'm currently purchasing a head secondhand.

I create characters CONSTANTLY, so if i dont look out i might have a ton of bjds very soon.
      I'll try to enforce the rule of not buying another doll before my latest purchase is completed, but I'm not sure if that'll happend.

7. I think the wait times really do add to it, for me it means that even though I've bought someone I don't get that sense of completion because the doll isn't here with me so I probably carry on looking to fulfill that or something.

8. When I first started the hobby and had only the one tiny doll, I was super frustrated. lol. I had so many characters that I wanted to shell. And I still do. But I never thought that I would even be able to shell even one more character. Now that I have 22 (full and floating heads)characters filled, I'm not feeling the frustration that I used to feel. But I'm not feeling overwhelmed either. There are at least 20 more characters that I have plans for. So when I even get close to shelling them all and I start feeling overwhelmed by them, then I'll probably have found my cap. But I don't think that will happen.

9. For most of my time in the hobby, I had a hard limit of 4 SD sized dolls. I had four characters I wanted to shell, and that was it! I actually maintained only 2 dolls from 2008-2015ish. Now, I have five full dolls and the heads for three more. After that, I think I'm out of space for SDs, but I can then focus on smaller sizes. :P

10. I did originally have a doll limit with a maximum of 3 dolls but I quickly owned more than that:sweat Right now I'm in the process of downsizing my collection with the goal of only owning my two favourite Volks dolls + the Ringdoll Rinku that's going to arrive in a few weeks/months.
      It's not really a money issue but I got overwhelmed by all the dolls and want ot focus on 3 dolls at a time. Currently I've put my two favourite Volks dolls on display and the rest of my collection in their boxes. And tbh I'm feeling very content only looking at two dolls!

11. I do not have a doll limit, but I do have a "don't spend all your money on dolls" limit. I am actively saving to buy a house, and cannot afford to spend a large fortune on dolls. Still, if I see something I really like, I will buy it.

12. I get a little bit overwhelmed past 5 dolls. But my wishlist+ currently-at-home adds up to at least 5 SDs plus a few mature tinies that will be dolls for my dolls. And my brain classifies those as props, but they still cost $300+ each, and require the same amount of styling as the SDs .___.

So in short, no. I am not sticking to my limit.

13. I never set a limit & eventually found myself with a collection that was out of control. I ended up selling over half of them & changing sizes. I still don't have a limit but my 1:3 doll buying is done. It's pretty much the same with my slim minis. In the last several years all I've bought are 3 Little Fees & a Peak's Wood FOF Cheshire Goon. My collection is still quite large & I may sell a few more big dolls. I'm out of space so something's got to give. The only problem is that I really love all the dolls I currently have so it's going to be hard to choose someone to go.

14. I had originally set a limit of 'as far under 10 as possible'. I then adjusted the limit to under 10 sd's since that's what I mostly collect and I didn't want the few littler ones I got to count towards the limit, which was my way of cheating. Based on doll plans so far I won't blow that far past the limit, knock on wood, but there's always those dolls you don't plan for with new releases or learning about an artist you hadn't known about before. Long term, I think 20+ would be overwhelming but we'll see what happens.

The funny thing to me was when I originally started opening up to my boyfriend about wanting to collect dolls and told him I was going to keep my collection small he didn't believe me at all! He's not in the hobby, but somehow he already knew how hard it is to resist new dolls :sweat (I also realized later we has living vicariously through me since he likes them but doesn't want to spend the money himself)

15. Although I haven't received my first doll as of yet, I told myself that I would only have one. I know myself more than anyone else...therefore I expect to break my limit and go for three haha. For the story I am writing I need two MSD dolls and one YoSD.

16. The longer I'm in the hobby, the more amazing the sculpts become...a lot like the way tech keeps improving when you can't imagine what further innovations they can come up with. I will never say, "Well, I've reached my number limit, so that's it - my last doll," any more than I'll ever hit my last cell phone. But...I have become more picky over time, so the crew definitely does not expand at the same rate that it did years ago.

17. I haven't set myself a specific numeric limit, but I know from past collecting experience what "too much" feels like in the beginning stages. So, I'm pretty conscious to move slowly, and to heed my instincts. For me, it helps to avoid acquiring things too quickly. It's not really the total number of dolls that would be the issue for me, as much as the speed with which they arrive in my home.

18. I've decided I'm allowed one doll for every year in the hobby. That's my absolute limit. That means at the moment I'm allowed 10 dolls. I'm pretty far off that limit with my current 5 dolls so until I catch up again I'm allowed to buy more than one a year. I was thinking 2 a year would be realistic, but if I stick with my current plans I may get 3 this year xD

19. When I started, I originally told myself four dolls maximum. Now I'm at six full/completed dolls with two floating heads..and I'm planning on finishing another three this year. @_@ I've set myself a new limit of ten, but since by the end of this year I'll be pretty close to reaching it, I feel like I might expand that to twelve or even fifteen. Any more than that definitely seems like too much to me, in terms of space and the amount of attention I can give each doll, but who knows...I haven't been very good at sticking to my limits so far. :sweat

20. I told myself I’d only keep one. I kept that promise to myself for about two years. Now I have 4 complete dolls and a handful of floating heads :sweat