1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you set yourself a doll limit and have you been able to keep it?

Jun 4, 2017

1. I was only planning on getting one. But now I have another one on the way! I’ve become so passionate about this hobby I plan on getting more in the future.

2. When I bought my first doll,I made a promise to my myself that I will only have two.
      Guess what, now I have two 1/3 dolls, two 1/4 dolls, one 1/6 dolls and 3 1/3 heads without body :)
      I stopped now because I ran out of space to store them. But when I move to a bigger apartment I would want to buy more again. Set limit can't help me at all, cause I can't keep it up haha.

3. I tried to keep the maximum number at 3. But I got myself a floating head at the end of 2018...so I guess my new maximum number is 4!

4. Currently my limit is 5. I have 2 dolls as of now and am working towards a third. Not sure if I’ll stick to just 5, because I may create more characters.

5. HAHAHAHAH (laughing at self btw) I set a 10 doll limit for myself when I first got into this hobby as I found sculpts I liked and determined 10 would be a good limit. I have now decided to do away with that limit as I find more dolls that tempt me. I was really good at leaving it to my limit of 10 dolls for my current and planned dolls but now it's slowly edging up a little as I find dolls I liked but didn't feel like I needed to buy falling into my want to buy list :P
      Plus I've gotten animal/pet bjds that I plan to use as pets for my bjds so that does bring my count up but I was thinking they didn't count since they were small and not what I considered a doll so not part of my doll limit.

But yeah my limit is basically gone now and I just hope I don't own too many >.< since space is an issue and also I can't give everyone equal attention then too (not that they are getting much attention right now. everyone's packed into boxes since haven't had time for them).

I was trying so hard to keep to my limit and my doll friends thought it was cute since I think some went through the same thing of setting a limit and then now their doll collection has grown a lot. But it's fine :) I love all my current and future dolls so no regrets

6. I jokingly put my limit at '50' years ago, thinking I'd never get there. But I did. LOL!!!

7. I have 12 on my wishlist and 1 floating head already here and want just 1 girl among them at least, maybe 2, so 15? :lol:

8. Very funny! I have officially a permanent doll limit. No idea how the minute my piggy bank grows, a new "guest" appears (mind you, alas it is not that often…)

9. I don’t have a hard number limit. But I think I’m over the number I actually want to own in general right now so I’m taking stock this year. For me, it’s more about how it feels. I can’t imagine putting myself on a ‘one in, one out’ situation regardless of the number but otoh, I don’t want ‘too many’ either.

10. I set myself a limit and broke it, so it was entirely pointless for me! I do not want to exceed 40 dolls in total though, so that should hopefully help me to keep things sensible :sweat

11. I limited myself to 3 dolls. But now I'm waiting for my 4th one to arrive and sell the other one.

12. I was pretty moderate when I first discovered BJDs, but then I got swept up in the enthusiasm of buying new dolls in mid-2010 and ended up buying a new doll every month between then and the beginning of 2012 (I'd just started working from home and decided that my old budget for train passes and lunch with co-workers could go to dolls). And for a long time I prided myself on having never sold a doll (which was silly, but it was the mindset I was in at the time) so the collection just kept increasing. Eventually I realized that my collection included a lot of dolls that I liked but didn't love.

But since 2015 I've tried to keep myself from only buying one new doll per year. And I've gotten over my aversion to selling dolls and got my collection of 30 down to 20. Now that it's a habit I can't see myself going back to the excess of that time.

13. I originally wanted only one doll. Lmao. I ordered my second within a week of receiving my first. I now have two Resin girls and an off-topic girl. I don't feel like my family is "complete" but more dolls are not in the budget for the foreseeable future. I think my new limit will be... maybe 5-7? I do not like the idea of having so many dolls they don't all get attention or dolls taking up a large amount of space in my house. Currently my three fit in Simone's box and their accessories fit in a couple shoebox-sized containers.

14. Heck no! I've never thought about needing a limit. So far I can afford 1 doll about every 2 years so I feel like my limited budget does a pretty good job of limiting me. If I ever start making it financially though, that might be different. I don't see a reason to limit yourself, beyond the practicality of having space to store them and money to pay bills. I hope to still be discovering new sculpts, adding to my collection, and phasing out dolls I've fallen out of love with, in 70 years.

15. Since my collection of off-topic dolls totally exploded, I've decided to only buy dolls I have space for. I'm closing in on maxing out space in my cabinets again, so for me, no more dolls until I budget in a new glass display case for them. I have room in my basement for maybe one more case, so the hard limit is coming up pretty soon, and I'm getting a lot pickier on what dolls I order.

Unfortunately, this hasn't helped curb my browsing and spending for clothing, shoes, accessories, and wigs... those are very easy to store, so rather than buying more dolls I just keep buying new things for them to change their looks! :lol:

16. Yeah, my plan is to keep it to six or eight. I plan on sticking with a doll of each gender for each scale.

17. When I first started this hobby my limit was “I only want one doll. Just one, so I have one.”

Thirteen years and 45+ dolls later, I’ve given up trying to set any type of limits on myself. :XD:

18. No, I've never set a limit for myself. I have decently stringent standards, it seems. My DoA account is coming up on 3 years old, and I have 3 full dolls- one I'm seriously considering selling. I'm just now seriously looking to get doll #4 (or doll #3, if I sell my one existing). I don't consider myself in need of a limit, really. I'm not concerned with getting out of hand, considering my doll accumulation patterns. :sweat

19. i think my original limit was 10 dolls, my limit now is 30. i only have 5 dolls at the moment, 5 floating heads. I have around 60 dolls on my wish list, i feel like im going to end up with 80 dolls haha...i want them all.

20. I got into the hobby at 14 and promised my mom: "just one!"

I have five Obitsu dolls, three MSD's, two Jun Planning-Ai tinies and three Yo-SD's.

That's thirteen dolls. Not even counting the ones I collected briefly but lost interest in like Monster High and not counting the Obitsu dog I have as my MSD's pet.

There is no limit anymore. Just "Which character comes home next."

I do however have a rule. If I ever get an SD sized doll, it will be just the one. I do not desire more than one and even then, that's a big if for me.