1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Have your dolls been mistaken for real people?

Jan 17, 2009

1. Dude, the baby thing happened to me and E. Hadrian AGAIN at a doll meet in Seattle just two days ago! We got out of the car and this dude was like "WHOA!! FOR A SECOND I thought that was a REAL BABY!! You SCARED ME!!" He was like really loud and startled :XD: We kinda just laughed...

2. I use pictures of my dolls for my profile pics on facebook, and one time one of my friends commented on one of them that at first she thought she was a real person. But that was probably just because the icon format always warps the pictures

3. A nice man in the street stopped me once to ask 'Is that your baby?', quickly realising that it was a doll, and not a freakishly thin infant XD

4. Not in real life, but I've had a few mistaken for real people in photos. A lot of the time on dA I get comments like "I thought that was a real person in the thumbnail" or "I thought that was a person until I saw the joints". Some people think it's really cool, others find it extremely creepy. I like being able to trick people's eyes that way, though.

5. I posted a picture of Miyuki on deviantart.com. There were comments left by people saying that they were surprised it was a doll, when they had clicked on the pic they had thought it was a real person.

6. One of my Fiancees coworkers mistook my DZ Hid for a baby :sweat it was pretty funny.

7. my mom and my friends talk about our dolls like they're real people. . . confuses the hell outta some people, too~

8. I have some photos of my dolls in an album on Facebook. They also wound up in a picture I used as my profile photo for a while, in the background.

My friend, who is my supervisor at work, asked me who the two "people" in the back of my profile pic were, and was astonished when I explained they were dolls. He said they looked so real. The thing is, it's clear in the photo that they're MUCH smaller than me -- they're sitting on the shelf behind my head, feet dangling off and everything!

I mean, in some photographs dolls can look quite realistic, but they really did just look like dolls in this one. Honestly. And I'm all for pretending to be a great photographer or something.

It made me laugh.

Judge for yourself: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i70/littlebrokenbutterfly/Dorries.jpg

9. When I first saw a BJD on the internet I thought it was human, xD

10. Everytime i take Azure to the store, they think i have a kid with me. lol
      ~Oh, i thought that was a baby.
      ~Yeh...it's not... ^_^;

11. Hahaha, once I was walking into an apartment building and carrying my doll and the security guard was like "Is that your baby?" It was hilarious because it seemed like he was serious! I think some people I pass on the street also think my doll is my baby. @_@

12. well,when my boyfriend says "honey, do you thinck this colour will fit Nemyn?"people thinck that my Dia is one of our twins)))))))

13. One day I was in a garden with my best friend and we had talking about my tinies calling them by name. A nice old man was sitting near us and he started to tell about his grandchilds! :lol:

14. Once I took my boy D (a 90cm AoD Bo) to a meetup @ a bookstore. We were hanging out up front, waiting for the others to arrive. A lady walked in and saw D~ I don't know if she thought he was my kid or what, but she stared at us so hard while she was walking that she almost plowed into a display of books.

15. This happens if I take a 1/3 out in public all the time, especially if I carry them on my hip.
      (gawker) "HOMG is that a kid??"
      (Me) *without missing a beat* "Wouldn't you feel like an idiot if my answer was yes?"

16. LOL
      best response ever.

I can't say I've had that problem... I don't think 4-inch dolls pass very well as human XD

17. I kinda ended up with the snappy comeback after a rather maternal train of thought:
      What if I DID have a baby who was unusually small and thin, perhaps because of some condition the poor child can't help having? What kinda idiot sees something they think might be someone's CHILD and the first words out of their mouth are "Is that thing a baby??" :doh If I was actually carrying a tiny child I think I'd probably have to deck the gawker.

18. Well my friends ask me sometimes, about them like How they going and those stuffs, and call them for the names.

19. I didn't have a carry case for my doll for a long time and once I took him with me to a con in another state... People in the airport kept thinking I was holding a baby x_X It's like, "what kind of babies have YOU been looking at..."

20. The first time my friend saw my doll she freaked out a little bit. She thought I was holding a 'little person or something'!

He's only been mistaken for a person in photos twice, so far. He's too pretty to look human, I think.