1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Having That One Doll That Doesn't Really "Match"

Apr 6, 2010

1. Personally, I don't mind if all of my dolls don't match, but I like one to at least match another. I found that when I had more dolls, if I only had one that was, say 20 cm, and then had 4 MSDs and 2 15cm dolls, I'd tend to end up selling the ones that don't have a size match, just because no other doll that size interested me, and it bothered me to not have a match. xD

But right now, I've got two MSDs that match well, so I'm alright.

2. I used to think "matching" my dolls didn't matter at all. They aren't specific "characters"--more like personalities--and I certainly do not have a storyline or anything for them. But despite myself when I look at other dolls that catch my fancy, I do wonder how they'll "fit" aesthetically with my current group. I'm dying for a Luts Zuzu Wolfy, but when I think about it, I wonder how she'll fit with my crew. I still really want one, and ultimately if I do get one, it'll be for the doll and not because she's a specific character or needed for my "group". And yet I know that I will work her personality to fit with my normal family of resin somehow.

With the prices of these dolls, there's nothing wrong with holding back. In fact, if a doll's compatibility is the determining factor, perhaps that'll be the only way to keep you from going into debt buying every single doll you fall for!

3. Hahaha, I've got two fairly masculine boys, and one drag queen. XD How's THAT for not matching?

4. Um...yes, I am beginning to have that feeling...
      My first doll is slowly becoming the odd one out. She is the shortest doll of my bunch at 60cm. My other three dolls are each about 70cm due to various factors, and the dolls on my wishlist are all larger as well. She is also a bit more stylized than my other dolls because she has larger eyes proportionally. It is not a dramatic difference, bit it has had the interesting side effect of making her seem younger than I had first intended. And she is also the only doll I own at the moment in NS. I am debating purchasing future dolls in NS specifically to have them match her. Hehe.

5. Well make her the little sis! :D

6. Hehe, my husband keeps telling me that she is just short. ^_~

7. My dolls are all largely from the same company to avoid this problem, and those that didn't fit in don't tend to last long around here. It's limiting when looking for sculpts for characters, but I find it's easier when the dolls match aesthetically to one another.

8. My Dahlia doesn't seem to fit in anymore. She's my only MSD that doesn't have a family... my other two are brother and sister. But I really like her and she's just beautiful. So I don't think I'm gonna sell her.

9. Well, I am about to get a doll that will in no way be scale with my other dolls. But for me, it is not too big of deal (well not yet anyway). I collect many types of dolls, so ones that are different or not scale with my BJDs are put on a different shelf or displayed somewhere else. So if I have a BJD that is way out of scale with my other girls, I will just display her somewhere else, even if it is in chair next the other girls shelf or a shelf above, it will look ok to me. I think that just comes from collecting so many different types of dolls throughout my life.

Now, if the doll is very different, but part of the same story line, I would still do the same thing and just display them apart. The only problem I would have is if I wanted the dolls to interact outside of my written world. Like a photo shoot together or something. Then I could see a problem with keeping the doll and would think of getting a different size/color/brand or what have you. I have gotten rid of dolls for this very reason and gone with more aesthetically appropriate dolls.

10. Typically: No. But it can happen with alarming frequency if one isn't careful and if one (in my case) purchases heads randomly due to horrible habit of fan-girling over EVERYTHING in the marketplace. This is why I make the list- because yours truly just simply can't be trusted ever to just buy what I'm saving for. I'm already knee deep in impulse buys (thankfully all of which are heads and therefore bodies are optional) but it's a dangerous game I play with my wallet. I'm already not getting paid enough to save for school fees (that rack up at an equally alarming rate) and my doll habit (which snowballs with every new release...) *sigh* right, so:

I have bought heads that I thought for sure did not fit in with my doll family- and they have been summarily sold, pretty much as quickly as I could. I don't like selling dolls though- usually because I bond with them on sight, and it's all downhill from there the longer they hang around. I've already got a Shiwoo problem in the form of a head that just won't go away- He doesn't fit, at all, but he just won't let me sell him... Then there's the Luts summery head that I got 'just 'cuz he looked so darn cute in the gallery' and now he's sitting around absorbing one of my favourite characters and being equally hard to dismiss since he's so much fun to faceup. So there you have it- I suppose what counts is just how much you love each doll- if you really can't bear to part with either one, then eventually you'll get used to them both and you'll find a way to make them fit.

11. My Volks girl is currently that one doll that doesn't match the rest. The others are either proportioned properly, or they're tall and thin. Despite the obvious size difference between MSDs and SD's, my Suiseiseki has a very FAT HEAD, and I don't plan on getting any others quite like her just yet. In the future, I would like to get a boy partner for this doll (but I'll just pray for his re-release for now).

12. I actually have that situation right now! Most of my dolls are more realistic looking, and I recently got a CP Soony who has a pretty stylized look to her. Her head is gigantic and she's got these huge eyes, but I absolutely love her.

13. So far I haven't been able to bond with dolls who don't seem to match the rest. I don't know if it's just that I don't love the specific moulds enough, or if the mis-match is that big a deal. Abadon looked good with my Ani, but he just doesn't fit for the kind of moulds that seem to pull my heart strings. Only time will tell I suppose.

14. well i think i may be like suomi. i currently only have one doll and have only had one other before so i cant be sure but i think i wont mind if all my dolls match as long as they match with someone else.

and the reason i think that is because when i look at my doll plans they all seem to have one more doll that's either their best friend or their lover or someone very dear to them thats going to be similar in a few ways. if not proportions then style. the only exception so far is my first doll. because that doll i sold was supposed to be his "match" but she didnt work out and i have no intention to sell him just because he doesnt have a match anymore

15. Kind of, I guess, I have one MSD size girl, the others are all SD(..save for the puki xD), but she is supposed to be the teenage daughter of one of the SD's and she does look younger than them, and only slightly younger than my three small SD's who are supposed to be a few years older. So, it's not as if she doesn't fit in, but I would like another MSD so she's not the only one, if only to give me more of a reason to buy more MSD shoes..xD Other than that, I have a mix of more realistic and more stylized dolls, but I find they look good together. I do make sure that the dolls who are 60 cm have 9-10 inch heads, as all of my 60 cm's do because otherwise it does look odd. But if they are smaller(like my Zaolls, Narae and Glorydoll), it doesn't matter because the whole doll is smaller and it looks right.

16. Mathonwy is a very stylized and bobbleheaded WS when the rest of the Court are realistic NS sculpts..... but I just can't part with him. I love his body sculpt, he was the first BJD I owned, and we share something special it's hard to pin down.

17. While most of my dolls are from the one company they don't really match each other - I've got green doll, a purple doll, ns, ws and plans for a chocolate resin boy. And as for size, well they start at 11cm and go up to 70+

I personally love having such diversity and enjoy the challenge of creating characters that can all fit in the one world.

18. I actually want my dolls to be different. Most are normal skin but the next I'm getting is blue and I'm also planning on a tan and white skin. I think my doll family will look much more interesting if there's a variation and I'd prefer it that way. I think that every doll would be more of an individual too.

19. Yeah, I always thought I'd go for SDs but I've been idly thinking of getting a tiny so I have doll I can take out with me for impromptu photoshoots. I've finally found the tiny that makes me go "do want!" and she's a Roxy Lucy so now I'm thinking of getting her but it's not like she'd ever interact with my SDs, she'd have to exist in isolation.
      That doesn't really bother me though.

20. I have one full doll, four floating heads, and another full doll on the way and I don't think any of them match even a little except for the two heads that I bought specifically to be partners. :sweat I think it's because I tend to be more interested in the dolls themselves then in having a group of dolls that can act as a cohesive unit. I also tend to get more of a visual concept I want for that doll and then build a character around that, and because my concepts can be so totally divergent, I get dolls that wouldn't necessarily work together in the same fictional universe. and if the dolls aren't in the same storyline, then it's a small thing if their bodies don't look "right" together. It doesn't really bother me that I don't end up with a crew because I get to indulge my ADD and play around with a bunch of different ideas.