1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Having That One Doll That Doesn't Really "Match"

Apr 6, 2010

1. My dolls don't match at all. I think I'd have a hard time coming up with a family that would match, unless I bought dolls from one company, or got a lot of advice. I don't want to limit my options anyway, so I just buy the dolls I like.

2. I don't much care if they don't match, I'm limited to how many I can have so I prefer the variety. I've found myself avoiding certain companies because I already own one of their dolls. Also most of my dolls aren't from the same story and thus wouldn't be paired together in any case.

3. I need my dolls to look good sitting together. ^^

The one oddball who doesn't match (FB Liebchen) is up for sale. She's sat in the cabinet un-played-with for over a year because she's too different from the others. Lovely doll but she doesn't fit in, and she's an artist doll so I can't get a matching friend or sibling for her.

4. Yes. The minifee has to go. Its proportions are just way too strange with the rest of my dolls.

5. I am really worried this is going to happen for me. I got all these Soom Super Gems, and then my one Souldoll Double. It's so strange having a doll that will look like a midget compared to these beauties.

But when I think about selling her I just can't because, well heck! I love her! I think she's perfect for the character. But then I try to think of buying the male character that accompanies her and I am finding it impossible to find a mature looking dude in that scale...and the circle goes round and round.

Ultimately I decided that I don't want to sell her because replacing her with another Super Gem means I'd be spending like another thousand bucks... Just to have a doll I don't like as much. But then she matches. And around and around it continues going haha! :)

If I knew this in the first place I believe I would have got all the same size dolls to start with instead of *only* thinking about the characters, but I was new and didn't understand the difference between 55cm and 70cm. I don't think it will matter so much once I get her guy to match. After all, her character is in a totally different world than the Super Gems.

6. I wouldn't care if they match or not... If I love my dolls, nothing else matters ^^

7. One of my MSDs in particular looks quite different depending on who he’s standing next to – and when that’s my 64cm boy, he looks SO young. My tall boy really brings out the innocent, childlike look in him. It’s not ideal – but then there’s nothing cuter than seeing the two of them snuggled up together. I just look on the bright side! If you’re into dolls for the ‘personality’ and creative side of it, I don’t think it takes too much work to make an odd family fit together just fine.

8. I could care less if they match. But I'm not trying to fullfill a story either. I just buy the ones I like the most! Unfortunately this does little to curb my doll buying habits.

I have a few odd balls, but they always seem to end up with a friend or two so that I can get some nice group shots when needed.

9. If they don't fit in, they are sold. End of story.

My dolls have evolved into a very cohesive story unit with a large chunk of them all being from the same family. It is highly important that they look right next to everyone else in every way.

10. I never thought I'd have an oddball looking doll. The three minis I've had in the past that just didn't look right with the others were all sold and replaced (well, except for one that I'm still looking for a sculpt for). It's very important to me that my dolls all look like they come from the same place as they are based from the same fictional universe. I'm not speaking in terms of skin tones either as people in our world come in many varying shades and so long as the dolls stylistically match it does not bother me in the slightest that one of my boys is gray. After all, that's how he was created so many years ago and his actual physical features still blend very well with everyone else.

To answer the actual question though, yes, I do have one doll that I'm still holding onto for no reason other than my own sentimental foolishness. The doll-formerly-known-as-Prince, an Angell-Studio Gus boy in white french resin. There are so many things off about this doll it's sort of ridiculous. He's french resin, that in itself pulls him apart from the others. I don't mind so much that he's stark white as his character is albino and I wanted him to be very pale, but added with his type of resin, it's just a bit much. He's very slim compared to my DoCs, almost like that of a mature mini which also just does not work as he's too short for that body type to work. His eyes are very large, mouth very small which is another rarity among my group. And plain and simple, he's just not as refined in his overall sculpt as my other dolls. Sitting with my other boys he's look much too simple and fragile and just can't work out for his character. However, unlike the other dolls I sold, I went through alot of work with this doll and so it's harder for me to give him up.

I never see him, he stays tucked away in his drawer and he's no longer listed in my sig (I hope to replace his character with a DiM Alpon sometime soon). Even so, he's still not parted from me and I have a feeling he won't ever be. So instead the cute little bugger just hangs around as my nameless muse, off in his own little universe apart from my main cast. I just hope I can be more careful with my choosings in the future and he will remain the only oddball.

11. To be perfectly honest, it would drive me NUTS if I had a doll that didn't quite fit in or match.

12. I don't think I could stand it if my dollies didn't match. Heh whenever I am looking at them I always tend to look at ones that are the same type or skin color. Then i just look for differences in their face.

13. I guess in a way all my guys are kind of mismatched now that I think about it :huh?:

The one that is most off is my OrientDoll. He's very small compared to my other MSD's with his 40cm something height and his tiny tiny head. But I will never replace him. He was my first doll and he's very charismatic to me. Even more so then the rest.

And the rest, yeah....
      All of them are NS except for one, he's a WS.
      One looks more like a kid compared to the rest of my crew. They look 20+
      One could easily be mistaken as a girl
      The dolls that are supposed to brother and sister have nothing in common. He has flaming red hair, she hot pink etc (but she's not in my posession anymore, lives with my sis now)

But I think that all these things make my crew interesting. They all have something that link them to eachother, and that is that they are all oddballs. So they fit perfectly together :)
      I kind have kind of build the story/relationships around them as time passed. So no problems on that side either.